Join Early Retirement Today

FIRE:Is It Intelligence or Determination
Old 10-19-2014, 09:41 PM   #1
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

FIRE:Is It Intelligence or Determination

I have often wondered which one it is that is the driving force behind FIRE.I have tried to help a few people on the right path toward FI and it's like they just are not interested or it is beyond their understanding and they can't be bothered.There is no doubt do it yourself investing takes a certain amount of brain power.So are we just wired differently,more intelligent,or simply more determined?What is the driving force behind FIRE?

The first rule of compounding: Never interupt it unnecessarily. Charlie Munger
UnrealizedPotential is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 10-19-2014, 10:18 PM   #2
Dryer sheet aficionado

Persistence / Determination and the fortitude to resist consumerism.

Sent from my iPad using Early Retirement Forum
UnderTheRadar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2014, 10:33 PM   #3
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

More likely we have to be 'tetched in the head just a particular way.

The math behind all of this is something my 5th grader would readily understand. The harder parts are the ability to work on a long term plan, and the willingness to do something considered strange/bizarre/antisocial/un-Merkin.

- George Orwell

Ezekiel 23:20
brewer12345 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2014, 11:12 PM   #4
Full time employment: Posting here.

I'm of average intelligence, so it must be internal wiring. The ability to plan and prepare for the future.

Sent from my iPhone using Early Retirement Forum
Old 10-19-2014, 11:19 PM   #5
Give me a forum ...

In the ER type forums in general, there seem to be assorted discussions and a significant over-representation of mild Aspie/INTJ/engineering/geek syndrome type personalities. People suited to those kinds of STEM careers tend to have higher than average pay, which makes saving easier, plus highly analytical types are less likely to see the logic in paying $300 for designer shoes or purses made with $20 worth of materials, so it is a twofer kind of personality - money making as well as money saving.

From Stop Acting Rich (by one of the Millionaire Next Door authors) -

"The frugal nature of wealthy engineers is certainly reflected in their demonstrated superior ability to generate wealth from income. Overall, engineers produced about 22 percent more wealth per dollar of realized income than did millionaires in general.

They have a higher than average propensity than others in their income/age cohort to accumulate wealth. They are less likely to favor expensive status denoting products and brands than others."

Engineering Economic Productivity
daylatedollarshort is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2014, 01:13 AM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by UnrealizedPotential View Post
I have often wondered which one it is that is the driving force behind FIRE.I have tried to help a few people on the right path toward FI and it's like they just are not interested or it is beyond their understanding and they can't be bothered.There is no doubt do it yourself investing takes a certain amount of brain power.So are we just wired differently,more intelligent,or simply more determined?What is the driving force behind FIRE?
Luck is also a huge factor. Being healthy and working hard at the right place at the right time. In this global economy many people have been screwed.

Life just hands some people a great card. Others are handed a terrible card.
purplesky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2014, 03:40 AM   #7
Give me a forum ...

It's both and neither. There are plenty of more intelligent and determined people who will struggle to reach FI equal to their accumulation years spending.

And luck isn't always a huge factor. Some luck of course (lack of bad luck sounds more accurate maybe), but most of the stories here seem to involve far more determination than luck.

Target AA: 50% equity funds / 45% bonds / 5% cash
Target WR: Approx 1.5% Approx 20% SI (secure income, SS only)
Midpack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2014, 04:05 AM   #8

According to the Bureau of Labor Statistics my salary was pretty close to the median and my educational background had nothing to do with finance. I did have the opportunity during graduate school to live on pinto beans and biscuits and a future of that or cat food was no longer appealing. So I guess fear was a big motivational factor. Once I married then it was to make sure if anything happened to me then my wife would not have to worry where she would live and where her next meal would come from.

Cheers!
Badger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2014, 04:58 AM   #9

I think it may have something to do with a personality that is accustomed to "being on the outside looking in." What this means is that many folks here (myself included) were either never the leader of the pack nor a follower when it came to popular social circles growing up. We had our own set of friends, but for the most part were forced to find our own ways to "survive" our growing up years (and perhaps were also less susceptible to peer pressure to conform). This independent streak provided perspective that being a conformist would have denied as an acceptable reality. Unfortunately for those who "followed," the chains of conformity grow even stronger into adulthood.

Again, some folks here may have been the homecoming king/queen, but I wasn't. FYI, many of the popular kids in my high school "peaked" back then or in college.

He had one of those rare smiles with a quality of eternal reassurance in it . . . It faced, or seemed to face, the whole external world for an instant and then concentrated on you with an irresistible prejudice in your favor. -- The Great Gatsby, F. Scott Fitzgerald
Jay_Gatsby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2014, 05:32 AM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by purplesky View Post
Luck is also a huge factor. Being healthy and working hard at the right place at the right time. In this global economy many people have been screwed.

Life just hands some people a great card. Others are handed a terrible card.
I agree that life isn't fair but we all have the same chance to be born a crack baby or the child of Bill Gates. Bill Gates was also lucky coming from a well off family and going to a private high school that happened tohave better computer coding equipment than the nearby University of Washington. It's what he made of it that made the difference for him and many others - both up and down the economic ladder.

"I think, dear Brutus, that the fault lies in ourselves and not the stars." a probably hacked up quote from Wm. Shakespeare.

I've worked in a lot of chemical plants and refineries. In my first supervisory position I had a 60 something maintenance man that had well over $2MM in 1974. That was an absolute fortune back then. He was making less than $15k/yr and had aggressively saved since he started working at age 14. There were many similar age people in the maintenace department that didn't have two nickles to rub together.
Old 10-20-2014, 05:40 AM   #11

I believe it is more of a vision thing. If you can vision yourself FIRE'd, or vision how to be a billionaire at a younger age, you can do it.

The trouble most of us have as youngsters is our parents are living the standard American lifestyle, not the life of the wealthy. Our aspirations are only as much as we see.
FIRE no later than 7/5/2016 at 56 (done), securing '16 401K match (done), getting '15 401K match (done), LTI Bonus (done), Perf bonus (done), maxing out 401K (done), picking up 1,000 hours to get another year of pension (done), July 1st benefits (vacation day, healthcare) (done), July 4th holiday. 0 days left. (done) OFFICIALLY RETIRED 7/5/2016!!
Senator is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2014, 06:03 AM   #12
Give me a forum ...

I suspect it is more self-discipline and a willingness to sacrifice somewhat today for a more secure tomorrow. Like the little red hen or the ant and the grasshopper stories.

Retired Jan 2012 at age 56
pb4uski is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2014, 06:19 AM   #13
Recycles dryer sheets

Quote:
Originally Posted by pb4uski View Post
I suspect it is more self-discipline and a willingness to sacrifice somewhat today for a more secure tomorrow.

This has the feel of truth to me (truthieness? ).
Of course there are so many different factors at play for each individual person but if you don't have some amount of self-discipline and the ability to sacrifice short-term satisfaction for long-term rewards I don't see how it could ever work, no matter how much money you make or how "smart" you think you are.
Lucantes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2014, 06:37 AM   #14
Give me a forum ...

I think being an outlier is very helpful. This means being able to resist peer pressure and general societal pressures including consumerism and living the so-called "life scripts" such as buying big houses, expensive cars, having kids, eating out all the time.
Retired in late 2008 at age 45. Cashed in company stock, bought a lot of shares in a big bond fund and am living nicely off its dividends. IRA, SS, and a pension await me at age 60 and later. No kids, no debts.

"I want my money working for me instead of me working for my money!"
scrabbler1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2014, 06:54 AM   #15
Recycles dryer sheets

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jay_Gatsby View Post
I think it may have something to do with a personality that is accustomed to "being on the outside looking in." What this means is that many folks here (myself included) were either never the leader of the pack nor a follower when it came to popular social circles growing up. We had our own set of friends, but for the most part were forced to find our own ways to "survive" our growing up years (and perhaps were also less susceptible to peer pressure to conform). This independent streak provided perspective that being a conformist would have denied as an acceptable reality. Unfortunately for those who "followed," the chains of conformity grow even stronger into adulthood.
Yep, that's me.
MikeWillRetire is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2014, 07:00 AM   #16
Moderator Emeritus

I'd say determination more than intelligence. But more determination toward FI than RE. Starting out, I just wanted to increase my net worth for financial independence, not planning for retirement. Retirement was just the byproduct of getting to FI.

Sent from my iPhone (:.using Early Retirement .//82339)
Ronstar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2014, 07:10 AM   #17

The ability to plan and work towards something that isn't on the immediate horizon.
This doesn't necessarily imply a lot of intelligence, just an ability for long term goals.

Luck may play a role, but not necessarily.
Old 10-20-2014, 07:15 AM   #18

For me, it was just dumb luck.
I was FI and didn't even realize it until I was laid off and really took a good look at my situation. Finding this board was a big help!
DayDreaming is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2014, 07:52 AM   #19

My first boss out of college told me it was impossible to escape the rat race since whenever one got a raise they would simply spend the additional money on a higher lifestyle. I thought to myself "That's ridiculous".

So yes luck and intelligence play a part, but I think the most important differentiating factors are desire, determination and discipline.

truenorth418 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2014, 07:59 AM   #20

I would argue it's the ability to delay gratification, and/or anticipate the future. You can be dumb and lazy and still have this foresight.
dallas27 is offline   Reply With Quote