FIRE to Canada

ShokWaveRider said:
NOT So! I am a Canadian, American and EU Citizen, I hold all 3 passports and it is perfectly legal. When I got my Citizenship they specifically stated, that we did not have to renounce our source country citizenship.

SWR

There are only 3 ways to lose your US citizenship

1) go to US consulate and formally renounce
2) accept "policy making" position in foregin (non-US) government
3) bear arms against US.

This is present justice department interpretation. They have ruled that you must "intend" to not be US citizen. Merely accepting citizenship in another country does not suffice to show such intent.

Neither US nor Canada recognize dual citizenship--in general no country does. But they continue to consider you citizen of their country even though you may hold other citizenships (although there are exceptions in Canada--long story--I fell into one of these cracks in that I was born in Canada but not considered a citizen--so called "lost Canadian", but that is nearly all sorted out now).

The reason I am familiar with these issues is because I have run afoul of them. Story is too long for general consumption. But Since 1977, both countries "tolerate" their citizens to hold other citizenships as well.

My application from Europe took 6 weeks. Could not have been easier and it only took 2 hours to fill out the paperwork. I did the skilled points test and I think the points were more difficult at that time a couple of years ago. Virutally anybody who is not too old and has a degree in a fairly useful field combined with a little experience and no serious health issues will get in.

I'm not sure who wrote this, but if they are talking about a skilled worker immigration application, I would take this with a grain of salt. Even family class applications, which are given priority, typically take 6 months to process. Skilled worker, depending on the Visa post, typically 18-24 months.

The application may only take 2 hours to fill out, but putting together all the documentation that goes with it (letters from employers, payroll info, marriage, birth, language proficiency statements, on and on) will take you a while. You must get (FBI or whatever country's equivalent) police check which typically takes 6 weeks just for that. You must have medical examination from a designated medical practicioner, and this must be sent to Ottawa and looked at. Typical time just for the medical clearence--3 months. And usually, they won't even send you the forms for the medical until after you have passed the initial screening, for skilled worker class. AFTER your police check is received, you must get clearance from the Canadian Security Service. 6 weeks--no way. Maybe under some sort of refugee grant or special program, but not under skilled worker.

Unless things have changed A LOT in 1 year. I had to immigrate back to Canada as a skilled worker even though I was born there. They put me to the front of the line and rescinded the points requirements and most of the medical criteria, to enable "lost Canadians" to return. Even then, it took me 6 months (while others applying at the same time as bona fide skilled workers took 18 months)

Still, it's not that bad. But to get the thing processed in 6 weeks--you gotta have friends high up in Ottawa. Maybe Joe Volpe, or Paul Martin.

But don't take my word for it. There are websites that track the wait. If anyone cares, I can probably find them again and post them.

Calgary_Girl said:
That's why I love Calgary - the highest number of sunniest days in the year. Even in the winter, it could be downright cold but bring out the sun and it doesn't feel as bad. Vancouver is just depressing if you ask me.

gawdawful traffic, though. Maybe I'm just spoiled (live in Golden, BC 1/2 the year). Whenever I have to go to the Calgary airport, it just crawls for miles.

Great shopping though...no PST!

bosco said:
gawdawful traffic, though. Maybe I'm just spoiled (live in Golden, BC 1/2 the year). Whenever I have to go to the Calgary airport, it just crawls for miles.

I lived in Calgary for 6 years before moving to the US. The "OutLaws" still live in the Northeast. I found when I lived there, and still do now when I visit that prices are somewhat higher than Ontario and make up for the PST. Booze is more expensive as are appliances, furniture etc.

SWR

bosco said:
gawdawful traffic, though.  Maybe I'm just spoiled (live in Golden, BC 1/2 the year).  Whenever I have to go to the Calgary airport, it just crawls for miles.

You're kidding right? DH and I travel a lot and I've NEVER seen traffic crawl on the way to the airport. Now, the actual line ups at the airport when checking in are a different story...

Calgary_Girl said:
You're kidding right? DH and I travel a lot and I've NEVER seen traffic crawl on the way to the airport. Now, the actual line ups at the airport when checking in are a different story...

Not so much the actual airport but HW 1 ( I think it is 1, the E/W road north of downtown). I had to go to the airport once in May and 3 times in July, and everytime it was just awful getting across town. A couple of people told me not even to think about driving into the actual downtown during the business day.

Admittedly, it could have been time of day, etc. I have to come in on HW 1 from the west and make it clear across town. It's 2 lanes each way, and no limited access.

All that being said, I wouldn't hesitate to live there to work--nice town, maybe a bit of the expected growing pains. Plus, Alberta is rocking right now--great economy. But for me, RE involves something a little less urban.

I have always loved Canada and always knew that I would return. But I will say that Canadians have not figured out how to do urban traffic. Toronto, Calgary, and Vancouver are all bad, from what I've seen. Vancouver is the worst. Seattle is bad, but at least it has freeways. In Vancouver, they vanish when you get to town and you are dumped on urban arterials.

I admit, limited data points.

Hey CG, you and DH skiers? If so...see you at Kicking Horse this winter!

But don't take my word for it.  There are websites that track the wait.  If anyone cares, I can probably find them again and post them. 

The most common site for informally posting timelines for Skilled Worker immigration to Canada is here: http://www.yogi799.com/timeline/

My timeline from the US was 15 months, which included retaking some x-rays on the medical exam and a 10-week wait for the results of the FBI fingerprint/security check.

I follow the British Expats forum http://britishexpats.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=33 and they are saying that 24-36 months is now a normal waiting time for those applying from Britain.

bosco said:
Not so much the actual airport but HW 1 ( I think it is 1, the E/W road north of downtown). I had to go to the airport once in May and 3 times in July, and everytime it was just awful getting across town.

Coming in from the west on the TransCanada, turn left at 19th St or (better) 14 St NW. Go north to John Laurie Blvd and turn right. Follow it as it turns into McKnight as far as Barlow Trail. Turn left, go a few miles, and you're at the airport. Total elapsed time at almost any time of day from the first turn is around 20 minutes.

A couple of people told me not even to think about driving into the actual downtown during the business day.

Whining. Besides, they have to do it every day at rush hour. It's very bad then. OTOH, they deserve it for buying a house in a place like Fish Creek or Mackenzie or one of the new developments miles out Crowchild.

Toronto, Calgary, and Vancouver are all bad, from what I've seen. Vancouver is the worst. Seattle is bad, but at least it has freeways. In Vancouver, they vanish when you get to town and you are dumped on urban arterials.

Metro Vancouver is pathetic. OTOH, if you can live in Van itself, it's so compact and public transit is so good that you don't really need a car.

Canadians can put away those extra welcome mats -- it seems Americans unhappy about the result of last November's presidential election have decided to stay at home after all.

In the days after President Bush won a second term, the number of U.S. citizens visiting Canada's main immigration Web site shot up sixfold, prompting speculation that unhappy Democrats would flock north.

But official statistics show the number of Americans actually applying to live permanently in Canada fell in the six months after the election.

Toby Condliffe, who heads the Canadian chapter of Democrats Abroad, did have an explanation of sorts. "I can only assume the Americans who checked out the Web site subsequently checked out our winter temperatures and further took note that the National Hockey League was being locked out and had second thoughts," he told Reuters.

Last year, Canada, which has a population of about 32 million, accepted 235,808 immigrants from all over the world.

http://tinyurl.com/8w77c

DanTien said:
Canadians can put away those extra welcome mats -- it seems Americans unhappy about the result of last November's presidential election have decided to stay at home after all.

In the days after President Bush won a second term, the number of U.S. citizens visiting Canada's main immigration Web site shot up sixfold, prompting speculation that unhappy Democrats would flock north.

But official statistics show the number of Americans actually applying to live permanently in Canada fell in the six months after the election.

Toby Condliffe, who heads the Canadian chapter of Democrats Abroad, did have an explanation of sorts.   "I can only assume the Americans who checked out the Web site subsequently checked out our winter temperatures and further took note that the National Hockey League was being locked out and had second thoughts," he told Reuters.

Last year, Canada, which has a population of about 32 million, accepted 235,808 immigrants from all over the world.

http://tinyurl.com/8w77c

Doesn't surprise me one bit. I'm the type to believe it when I see it.

Plus, that just means we won't have to share our Canadian beer!

Seriously, why would an American want to live in Canada? I'm talking quality of life and economic reasons. Nothing against Canada, some of my ancestors lived there before they came to the U.S. I just don't see an economic advantage.

Lazarus,
I'm not clear about quality of life and economic reasons, but there seems to be something about their beer... :D
Calgary_Girl said:
Plus, that just means we won't have to share our Canadian beer!

Haven't thought about moving to Canada since '72...  ;)

Not all advantages are economic...

Have Funds said:
Haven't thought about moving to Canada since '72... ;)

Not all advantages are economic...
I worked for Canadian National Rail in Chicago - Passenger reservations late 60's - early seventies..got a call asking when the next train was headed for Canada... how much was a one-way ticket...tried to establish a destination..he didn't know really, just what it would cost to get to C...he must have gotten something in the mail telling him that it was time for him to go to "Canada"...sold him a ticket to Toronto although I was tempted to give him Sarnia...

Have - did you consider the train and did you know where you were going? :D

bosco said:
I'm not sure who wrote this, but if they are talking about a skilled worker immigration application, I would take this with a grain of salt. Even family class applications, which are given priority, typically take 6 months to process. Skilled worker, depending on the Visa post, typically 18-24 months.

I wrote this and you can take it with whatever grain of salt you like. It took about 6 weeks in the skilled worker class and that is it. I got my police certificate on the spot. Medical was set up in the same week that I filled out the paperwork. A couple of weeks later I got a brown envelope with my visa in the mail. As you could have read in my post, this is a couple of years ago and things may have slowed down especially after 9/11.

Vicky

ER@40 said:
Anyone know of a US Property site where you can SEARCH based on a specific address, street name or full zip code?

Curious if MLS past price histories are available on the net, or is this restricted to realtors only?

You can do the zip code search on www.realtor.com

vic said:
You can do the zip code search on www.realtor.com
Its too general in built up city areas, you get too many matches (allows for 5 or 6 zip digits only)
Need a Street level search.or ability to search by full zip: 12345-1234

nfs said:
Coming in from the west on the TransCanada, turn left at 19th St or (better) 14 St NW. Go north to John Laurie Blvd and turn right. Follow it as it turns into McKnight as far as Barlow Trail. Turn left, go a few miles, and you're at the airport. Total elapsed time at almost any time of day from the first turn is around 20 minutes.

Thanks a lot for this advice. I will keep it and use it. Calgary is the nearest airport of any size to Golden so I expect to have to make my way there a few times per year.

Lazarus said:
Seriously, why would an American want to live in Canada? I'm talking quality of life and economic reasons. Nothing against Canada, some of my ancestors lived there before they came to the U.S. I just don't see an economic advantage.

Good question!! Suggest staying put where you are and not looking into this any further. :D

vic said:
I wrote this and you can take it with whatever grain of salt you like. It took about 6 weeks in the skilled worker class and that is it. I got my police certificate on the spot. Medical was set up in the same week that I filled out the paperwork. A couple of weeks later I got a brown envelope with my visa in the mail. As you could have read in my post, this is a couple of years ago and things may have slowed down especially after 9/11.

Vicky

Thanks for the explanation, Vicky. I think things are very different post 9/11. For one thing, the whole process got revamped in December of 2001 and everyone that had an application was required to resubmit. If I remember correctly, European applications are processed in either London or Vienna, and both those consulates take MUCH longer than 6 weeks now.

I'm glad you made it and it was so easy. I just don't want people to have unrealistic expectations. Nowadays, it often takes 3 weeks or a month AFTER you get the request for your passport to get your passport returned with the Visa stamp. And that's after all the other hoops.

For anyone seriously interested in this topic, I strongly recommend that you check out

http://britishexpats.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=33

and spend some time browsing around. I am not trying to discourage anyone. If Canada is the right place for you, then it is well worth the trouble. If you are the kind of person that believes in tolerance, negotiaton over war, and living in a country that believes in international law and cooperation rather than "might makes right" then Canada might be the place for you.

Lazarus said:

My DH loves Canada and when someone asks where he's from he always responds Calgary instead of Boston now. Not everything can be measured in monetary terms. How about quality of life? We have more vacation days, better maternity/parental leave policies, a more relaxed work environment, great schools, etc. Did I mention better beer already?? :LOL:

Calgary_Girl said:
Not everything can be measured in monetary terms. How about quality of life? We have more vacation days, better maternity/parental leave policies, a more relaxed work environment, great schools, etc. Did I mention better beer already?? :LOL:

well said.

check out

http://www.infoplease.com/ipa/A0778562.html

Canada has actually dropped a bit from a few years back. Still rates high, however.

Calgary_Girl said:
My DH loves Canada and when someone asks where he's from he always responds Calgary instead of Boston now. Not everything can be measured in monetary terms. How about quality of life? We have more vacation days, better maternity/parental leave policies, a more relaxed work environment, great schools, etc. Did I mention better beer already?? :LOL:
Calgary_Girl:

"beer" caught my I while scanning messages :). Hypothetical: Say an American couple was interested in moving to Canada but didn't want to jump thru all the hoops of acquiring Canadian citizenship. If they divorced each other and then found a similarly willing couple in Canada, could each American marry a Canadian, get full citizenship, divorce again, and then remarry the original spouse while retaining full Canandian citizenship? If so :-*.

This is not about some dirty, sqaulid foursome in freezing temperatures. It's about a loftier pursuit of an ideal future in a land of freedom--and better beer.

--Greg

Apropos of nothing, it is sort of startling to see a population density map of Canada. Virtually the entire county is huddled within a couple of hundred miles of the southern border, shivering, trying to warm themselves.

Back
Top Bottom