Join Early Retirement Today

Re: FIRE to Canada
Old 01-07-2006, 07:45 AM   #141
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

When I lived in Portsmouth, NH, I heard all that marlarkey about four seasons. I could only count two. Winter I and Winter II. Give me the sameness of hot and for that matter, humid weather over all that brrrrrrrr.

Disclaimer: My Posts are for my amusement only.
Eagle43 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 01-07-2006, 09:08 AM   #142
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Howard
Some parts of Canada are further south than Northern california.

If the only reason you write off visiting somwhere is the weather, at least your perceived idea of the weather, that is pretty lame.

I would guess that would narrow the choices down to Florida, California, Arizona, New Mexico, Louisiana, and Georgia

Global Warming should eliminate that excuse, and having been to Arizona and Texas when it was 120+, forget it.

The economist said that Canadians and Americans are very similar, only Americans are much heavier, and if the only thing we have to complain about in Canada is the weather, that ain't bad.

Having been trapped in an Eathquake in California, averted a hurricane in Florida,a nd those Twisters in Kansas scare the hell out of me, i am going for a walk in the snow, albeit there is not much since it rained last night.

Fishing, river runs through my town, come spawning season, 40 pound Salmon are routinely taken.

We know summer has arrived in Canada when we see a car with New York plates in July with skis strapped on the car.
Not to be rude or insulting or any other negative perception of my forthcoming comments. So DO NOT get pissed off.

I see this as a "Typical" Canadian response. Having lived in Canada (all over East and West and Central) for long periods 3 - 4 years at a shot. And also in the UK. IMHO. The Canadian summer is tollarable The Winters in ANY provices are simply NOT. From the Dreary Rainy Foggy Overcast West to the Simply Damn Bitter Cold of the East. Canadians can say they like it and make excuses but thems simply the facts. I do not know one Canadian that has moved or snowbirds in the US that does not think it is better in more ways than one. The is ONLT ONE THING BETTER IN CANADA THAN THE US, and ONLY ONE. I will get to that later.

But the weather is not the only reason for living in the US. I personally just think the standard of living is far better in the use (Dollar for Dollar) It is my observation that The "average" Canadian especially in my comparable income circle, simply settle for less. This again IMHO is due to the more limited amount of disposable income. They use excuses like earthquakes and Hurricanes etc. The same a we in the US use cold weather and the Absolutely absured tax structure. (Chicken, Turkey and eggs are silly prices in Canada compared to the US just because prices are kept artificially high due to a marketing board of some sort) I lived in California through earthquakes and floods for 15 years, I lived in Florida through hurricanes etc. and STILL think overall the standard and quality of life in the US is like no other place in the world unless you have of course $20m in the bank.

Now again IMHO the government pisses money down the toilet and could not organize a booze up in a brewery. The whole legal system is bogus, gun laws are silly, the governmental campain, lobby, special interests etc are dumb and self serving. The drug companies, advertising, energy and media companies really rule the country. But hey all places have their problems. Canada has Pault Martin. And as Canada is primarily a Liberal country and cannot spell the word change (metaphorically speaking of course) so I would be knoked down if they elected any other government. But they have their Legal system and Election processs sorted and it works.

OK. The One thing that is really better that effects the general middle class family like us HEALTH CARE!!!! That is why I suffer the Canadian Weather for 153 days per year (In actual fact the summers are wonderful). But I do not own a home there, or pay taxes there except the bare minimum that I have to to maintain residency. I rent furnished and leave immediately my 153 days are up. All our posessions are in the US and purchased there. Cars resistered in the US US insurance, TVs Stereo, Booze, I drink far less in Canada hense avoiding another silly tax structure. If I want any liquor I go to the US and get it. We make a point of living close to the border. And by the way 99% of our Canadian friends do exactlly the same thing (from a drinks perspective). Some even buy their groceries in the US. Although for some reason produce is far better in Canada.

All this said, we do like Canada, just not to spend the rest of our life there. The winters are intollarable and gloomy. Unless you like Skiing and Smowmobiling and Clouds. Personally I lke looking at the sun and as little snow as possible. Even Arizona's 120 degrees of dry heat is better.

I will say this again, but I am sure this post will upset someone. PLEASE DO NOT TAKE THIS POST AS A CRITICISM of Canada or Canadian Residents or Citizens, my best friends live there. It is just My Humble Opinion. And.... I could be wrong.

SWR
Old 01-07-2006, 10:59 AM   #143
Full time employment: Posting here.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ShokWaveRider
Not to be rude or insulting or any other negative perception of my forthcoming comments. So DO NOT get pissed off.

I will say this again, but I am sure this post will upset someone. PLEASE DO NOT TAKE THIS POST AS A CRITICISM of Canada or Canadian Residents or Citizens, my best friends live there. It is just My Humble Opinion.* And.... I could be wrong.

SWR
As a Canadian who has spent a substantial part of his career in various US locations, I can say your post makes a lot of sense and is a lot more balanced that the biases of many posters here, both American and Canadian.

Basically, Howard is not representative of Canadians who have travelled and seen the good and bad in many different places. Best to ignore his posts, or recognize he is as biased and narrow minded on Canadian boards as he is here, or quite possibly behaves this way to create reactions (which does stimulate posts and debate). I haven't figured out which one yet.

I have lived in several Canadian provinces from coast to coast and in 4 separate locations in the USA. I have also visited every Canadian province and territory (except Nunavut) and all US states except RI and WI. There is good and bad in all of these, but given my druthers, and on average, I'd retire in USA in a heartbeat over Canada. Much better climate and better purchasing power.

Just do something about your health care system. It reeks of special interests and reeks havoc with American families. It is far out of touch with pretty decent health care systems elsewhere in the developed world, Canada, Europe, etc.
AltaRed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2006, 12:00 PM   #144

Alta red W.hat country has been rated either the number 1 or the number2 country in the world, year after years after year.?

Americans are Conspicuous Consumers, they like to buy and own stuff, recreation for the most part is shopping at the Mall.

The Canadian education system does not discriminate by neighbourhoods, equality of funding ensures all classes of kids are provided the same level of teaching.

The Canadian Middle Class makes up a much larger % of the total population, in the US the gap between classes is expanding, Bush's Tax policies saw to that.

Yes, liquor is more expensive here, you get your Booze in Buffalo, your Liver Transplant in Toronto.

My Dad spends 6 months in Florida, he would stay all year if he could, but that old buggabo Health Insurance rears its' head.

I am amazed how many people think a line in a map changes the basic geography, thet Seattle has better weather than Vancouver, Buffalo than Toronto, Fargo than Winnipeg.

It is all North America, some just a little further North.

My druthers, a little village in the Cotswolds near the Welsh Border, but cost of living is out of site.

The continent affords a great diversity to enjoy, a lot of people to meet, I don't write anything off, but I do prefer Canada to live and I have travelled extensivly in the US , met a hell of a lot of fine people, met a few I did not agree with, but that is life.

Old 01-07-2006, 01:40 PM   #145
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by AltaRed
Just do something about your health care system. It reeks of special interests and reeks havoc with American families. It is far out of touch with pretty decent health care systems elsewhere in the developed world, Canada, Europe, etc.
I could not agree with you more! And while they are doing that fix the broken legal system too.

Quote:
Americans are Conspicuous Consumers, they like to buy and own stuff, recreation for the most part is shopping at the Mall.
Another blinkered philistine Canadian (or anyone for that matter) comment, like the earthquake and hurricane comments. (Again no offence intended, just my descriptive nature trying to spice up the post).
While in every culture Canadian, American European and US there are the idiots that get over extended, most however, are intelligent calculated consumers. Again, at least in our circle of friends and associates. And it is so nice to be able to afford the good things in life....... isn't it?

If we had spent our high earning years in Canada there is no way we could have afforded, a nice home in an area as nice a Southern Californa, a series of exotic sports cars over the last 15 years, new commuter cars every 3 years in the 50 - 60k price range, exotic vacations every year and still be able to retire at 48. No matter how much Canadians or anyone else try to justify that their standard of living is better, they will never convince me. And WE were middle class. (income under $200k combined household) The Sales taxes alone on each car in Canada would have made the ownership impossible. In addition, the ability to write them off as a business expense (Being commisioned Technical Sales) was an added benefit. No such luck in Canada. Please do not chastise the US based on our ability simply to afford more of the better things in life than other countries do, especially if the comments come from someone who is stuck living in one of them. I am sure there are some other countries that have it even better. Perhaps Brunai (sp) or Monaco?? You do not hear the Americans running those countries down.

During our working working years of course health care was not an issue as it was 100% covered by our employers.

Not all of the residents agree with the current government's war mongering and the forcing of democracy (Their Version) on everyone else. Personally I am a live and let live person. If the US spent the same amount of money on looking after their less fortunate, homeless, old, infirm and handicapped as they spent on other countries, it would be an even better place. But all places cannot be 100% perfect.

Ian
Old 01-07-2006, 08:28 PM   #146

Ian, I totally agree with your last statement, 911 showed that big armies with big guns can't stop whackos on a mission from God, how long before they turn up carrying vials of bugs to drop into water etc.

Strengthen the borders, including those with Canada, Liberal policies have dumbed down our defenses, America must be proactive, beef up the Coast Guard.

Last time I crossed the border, outdated passport, all they wanted to know was if we were carrying any agricultural products.

Ian, your own Business Channels lament America's saving, or lack of saving rate, of the refinancing instead of paying down of mortgages, of the interest only loans etc, hell, Walmart sales are an economic indicator.

All in all, regardless, I think both countries should be grateful we have each others as neighbours, it could be a whole lot worse, how would you like Chavez as the next PM of Canada?

Bush' Economic Policies are disastrous.

My Dad is treated so well in the US, even more when they find out he is a WW11 Veteran, he flies both flags .
Old 01-08-2006, 06:58 AM   #147
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Ian, I totally agree with your last statement, 911 showed that big armies with big guns can't stop whackos on a mission from God, how long before they turn up carrying vials of bugs to drop into water etc.

Strengthen the borders, including those with Canada, Liberal policies have dumbed down our defenses, America must be proactive, beef up the Coast Guard.

Last time I crossed the border, outdated passport, all they wanted to know was if we were carrying any agricultural products.

Ian, your own Business Channels lament America's saving, or lack of saving rate, of the refinancing instead of paying down of mortgages, of the interest only loans etc, hell, Walmart sales are an economic indicator.

All in all, regardless, I think both countries should be grateful we have each others as neighbours, it could be a whole lot worse, how would you like Chavez as the next PM of Canada?

Bush' Economic Policies are disastrous.

My Dad is treated so well in the US, even more when they find out he is a WW11 Veteran, he flies both flags .
Howard:

I think we agree on all your points except one here. That is Mortgages. If one is in a median household earning bracket, Say $75k - $200k in the USA. It is an advantage to have a mortgage of some description. Now not a 99.999999r% Mortgage, a managable one. Hey, if the government are going to give you a 33% or so tax break on the interest, and potentially reduce ones taxable income level, why not use it? In Canada as we all know that is not an option, so then I agree, no point in a mortgage unless you need one. When we started in California, the cost of homes were so expensive, we had to have a mortgage to even get considered for a reasonable property. Our first home in SoCAL was $400k in 1990. We had a manageable $200k loan at the time on a Household income of about $135k and a respectable $1400 per month payment. From that day on we put all our bonus' and spare cash into the home and paid off the total debt by 2000. After a brief celebration, I then promptly took out a line of credit for about $150k if memory serves me well, that we could manage and still claim the tax deduction. We invested the funds in stocks and bonds. When my wife finally retired in 2003 (I retired in 2002 but still used the write off to offset here income) we paid it all off. No need for the debt at that point, high incomes gone, no tax advantage. Then we sold the home so it became moot anyway. Now we have returned from our travels and are looking to settle down, when there is a break in home pricing, we will purchase another more modest home. And, I suspect we will still employ a small mortgage as part of our tax strategy in the USA, if we end up paying taxes there. (I think we will have to pay in both places as we are both Citizens of each country, and live half the year in both. I am still working that one out). Of course there will always be sufficient funds to cover the burden on the sidelines.

SWR
Old 01-08-2006, 07:55 AM   #148

We get to contribute 18% of our income, max $18,5000 to Pension, money is totally deductible, grows Tax free,you must take it out at 69 in whatever 5 you like above 4%, then it comes in as Taxable Income.

I have zero health Care worries, local and easily accessible Hospitals, there are no deductibles nor is there any maximum amount that would be spent on me , should I need it.

My two boys both went to University, both world class Institutions, TOTAL cost(including residance) per year was about $7,000US.

GST is a pain, but whether you Yanks like it or not, you will be getting it.

Whether it is VAT or GST or RSVP, Politicians love it, they will rationalise it, and that rationalisation is your defecit(they used that up here, defecit gone, GST still here).

I often respond when Canadians say they don't like America with "What Part?, and the reverse is true for Americans.

I like Chicago and Boston, I don't like Philadelphia or Newark.

My best friend, a Canadian , will never leave Boulder, I find it a nice place to visit.

Differant strokes,differant folks, nice to have choices.
Old 01-08-2006, 08:01 AM   #149
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
W.hat country has been rated either the number 1 or the number2 country in the world, year after years after year.?
Yeah, but who wants to be #1 or #2?
Be fearful when others are greedy, and greedy when others are fearful. Just another form of "buy low, sell high" for those who have trouble with things. This rule is not universal. Do not buy a 1973 Pinto because everyone else is afraid of it.
cute fuzzy bunny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2006, 08:13 AM   #150
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
We get to contribute 18% of our income, max $18,5000 to Pension, money is totally deductible, grows Tax free,you must take it out at 69 in whatever 5 you like above 4%, then it comes in as Taxable Income.
If Over 50 We can put $18k lst year and $20k this year.

SWR
Old 01-23-2006, 06:25 PM   #151
Full time employment: Posting here.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ShokWaveRider
The Winters in ANY provices are simply NOT. From the Dreary Rainy Foggy Overcast West to the Simply Damn Bitter Cold of the East.

<snip>

But the weather is not the only reason for living in the US. I personally just think the standard of living is far better in the use (Dollar for Dollar) It is my observation that The "average" Canadian especially in my comparable income circle, simply settle for less.

<snip>

so I would be knoked down if they elected any other government. But they have their Legal system and Election processs sorted and it works.

OK. The One thing that is really better that effects the general middle class family like us HEALTH CARE!!!! That is why I suffer the Canadian Weather for 153 days per year (In actual fact the summers are wonderful). But I do not own a home there, or pay taxes there except the bare minimum that I have to to maintain residency. I rent furnished and leave immediately my 153 days are up. All our posessions are in the US and purchased there. Cars resistered in the US US insurance, TVs Stereo, Booze, I drink far less in Canada hense avoiding another silly tax structure. If I want any liquor I go to the US and get it. We make a point of living close to the border. And by the way 99% of our Canadian friends do exactlly the same thing (from a drinks perspective). Some even buy their groceries in the US. Although for some reason produce is far better in Canada.

All this said, we do like Canada, just not to spend the rest of our life there. The winters are intollarable and gloomy.

<snip>

SWR
some questions/observations are in order

1) if winters are so intolerable in Canada, yet you live so close to the border so you can effectively scam health insurance, explain how you get this major climate shift just by crossing an international border....

2) if the standard of living is so much higher in the US, why is it that Canada rates higher on all UN quality of life surveys? I realize that standard of living and quality of life may not be the same thing.

3) get ready to be knocked down...it's election night and it looks like the Republican wannabees with bad haircuts may be forming a government

4) are you aware that if you are a Canadian resident, it is illegal for you to drive a US-plated car in Canada? How do you get around this? If you have a legal way, please let me know since I have similar issues (except I split my time between BC and Alaska--yes, that's right, I go to Canada due to the warmer winters...).

5) as for getting more per dollar in the US, just give it another year or two.

6) ditto on the not getting offended comment...