Join Early Retirement Today

Firecalc, is it possible
Old 09-01-2020, 08:03 AM   #1
Recycles dryer sheets

Firecalc, is it possible

Just ran our numbers, 2M cash starting now at age 60 and adding SS at 65 for both me and my DW. Draw 120,000 per year with 8% return average for 30 yrs. Say we will have between 8M to 16M . Am I doing something wrong?

We have Commerical property worth 1.5M and 2 homes and a rental worth 600,000 plus. I did not put into FireCalc.

How is this possible?

Thanks
Monterey298sc is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 09-01-2020, 08:11 AM   #2
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Not withdrawing anything, your $2M at 8% annual return (unrealistic IMO) over 30 years would grow to about $20M.
njhowie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2020, 08:16 AM   #3
Recycles dryer sheets

No, I put in a draw of 120,000 per year starting immediately.
Old 09-01-2020, 08:17 AM   #4
Recycles dryer sheets

Quote:
Originally Posted by njhowie View Post
Not withdrawing anything, your $2M at 8% annual return (unrealistic IMO) over 30 years would grow to about $20M.
What would be realistic %
Old 09-01-2020, 08:21 AM   #5

^ I would not use anything over 4% to be realistic.
street is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2020, 08:33 AM   #6
Dryer sheet aficionado

OP - I would suggest using one of the two portfolio options where you put in your asset mix instead of using a predetermined rate of return. The purpose of Firecalc is to model against historical returns and historical volatility as it is the latter that is the bigger risk in retirement.
obsessed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2020, 09:04 AM   #7
Recycles dryer sheets

Quote:
Originally Posted by obsessed View Post
OP - I would suggest using one of the two portfolio options where you put in your asset mix instead of using a predetermined rate of return. The purpose of Firecalc is to model against historical returns and historical volatility as it is the latter that is the bigger risk in retirement.
I did that also , just hard to believe that amount . Thanks
Old 09-01-2020, 10:58 AM   #8
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Monterey298sc View Post
Just ran our numbers, 2M cash starting now at age 60 and adding SS at 65 for both me and my DW. Draw 120,000 per year with 8% return average for 30 yrs. Say we will have between 8M to 16M . Am I doing something wrong?

We have Commerical property worth 1.5M and 2 homes and a rental worth 600,000 plus. I did not put into FireCalc.

How is this possible?

Thanks
Not that you need to share, but without knowing what you entered for SS, we can't know. I entered similar numbers without SS and got nothing like your result "For our purposes, failure means the portfolio was depleted before the end of the 30 years. FIRECalc found that 57 cycles failed, for a success rate of 52.5%." $120/yr with a $2M portfolio is a 6% WR, but that's without SS. I am guessing there's an entry error somewhere, but no way we can know what it might be...

Target AA: 50% equity funds / 30% bond funds / 20% cash
Target WR: Approx 2.5% Approx 20% SI (secure income, SS only)
Midpack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2020, 02:37 PM   #9
Full time employment: Posting here.

hahaha I know FIRECALC has a very high end balance for me too, but it is based on history so the numbers are the numbers!
FREE866 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2020, 04:00 PM   #10
Give me a forum ...

If you have 2m in cash, what are you planning to invest it in in order to achieve a net 8% result?
What will be your AA?
Old 09-01-2020, 05:30 PM   #11
Recycles dryer sheets

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dtail View Post
If you have 2m in cash, what are you planning to invest it in in order to achieve a net 8% result?
What will be your AA?
Invested , I mean not real estate.
Old 09-01-2020, 09:11 PM   #12
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Look at the entire spread of results. Even though many are good outcomes, there are quite a few less than ideal lines.
target2019 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2020, 02:05 AM   #13
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by target2019 View Post
Look at the entire spread of results. Even though many are good outcomes, there are quite a few less than ideal lines.
If I read the OP right, he/she is saying $8M is worst case, $16M is best case. Without knowing what was entered there’s no way to evaluate, but the FIRECALC result sounds unlikely to me based on the inputs given.

Old 09-02-2020, 07:02 AM   #14
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
... Am I doing something wrong?

How is this possible?

Thanks
Monterey298sc, yes, you are doing something wrong. But no one here can help you, because you aren't giving enough specific information for anyone here to understand what it is you are (or are not) doing.

Quote:
Just ran our numbers, 2M cash starting now at age 60 and adding SS at 65 for both me and my DW. Draw 120,000 per year with 8% return average for 30 yrs. ...
So that sounds like you are specifying the return instead of using the default (and in the opinion of many, the most useful) mode of historical analysis. Don't do that. There is no "realistic" entry, investments do not return the same rate year after year. The historical analysis is far more realistic, it reflects actual volatility, actual inflation, etc- it is based on actual reality! Use the default of historical analysis.

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by obsessed View Post
What exactly did you do? What amount is "hard to believe"? If you are saying you got the same results with a fixed 8% return as using the historical analysis, there is clearly something wrong with your entries.

If you want help, you need to provide specifics. The best is to actually link to the data (upper right on the results page). If you don't want to do that, give as much specifics as you can. Start with the defaults and explain what you changed.

-ERD50
ERD50 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2020, 08:42 AM   #15
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Midpack View Post
If I read the OP right, he/she is saying $8M is worst case, $16M is best case. Without knowing what was entered there’s no way to evaluate, but the FIRECALC result sounds unlikely to me based on the inputs given.
I'm pointing out to OP that spinning the monte carlo wheel of fortune at Firecalc is something, in that you get a large number of results, some more likely than others. But you don't necessarily get any of the results.
target2019 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2020, 08:59 AM   #16

Quote:

I ran your numbers through Firecalc. 120,000 spending, 2,000,000 portfolio, 30 year retirement starting now. I didn't include SS, pensions, or additional contributions since you didn't specify any amounts. I also used the default spending model and portfolio returns.

I got a 52% success rate varying from -6.6 million to +7.7 million. That's quite a range of possibilities, but I wouldn't be comfortable with a 52% success rate.
mountainsoft is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2020, 09:20 AM   #17

Quote:

How is this possible?

Thanks
I would love to know what you are investing in that returns an average of 8% for 30 years. Are you willing to let your cat out of the bag? I won't tell.

Cheers!
Badger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2020, 09:40 AM   #18
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by mountainsoft View Post
I ran your numbers through Firecalc. 120,000 spending, 2,000,000 portfolio, 30 year retirement starting now. I didn't include SS, pensions, or additional contributions since you didn't specify any amounts. I also used the default spending model and portfolio returns.

I got a 52% success rate varying from -6.6 million to +7.7 million. That's quite a range of possibilities, but I wouldn't be comfortable with a 52% success rate.
Without Soc Sec, that result is probably meaningless, especially given the numbers the OP has reported. I'm fairly certain he/she has made a mistake or left out something substantial.

Old 09-02-2020, 09:41 AM   #19
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
I'm pointing out to OP that spinning the monte carlo wheel of fortune at Firecalc is something, in that you get a large number of results, some more likely than others. But you don't necessarily get any of the results.
I understand that - but a bottom threshold of $8M on a starting portfolio of $2M sounds about as safe as it gets. And I missed where to OP used Monte Carlo.

Old 09-02-2020, 11:05 AM   #20
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Midpack View Post
I understand that - but a bottom threshold of $8M on a starting portfolio of $2M sounds about as safe as it gets. And I missed where to OP used Monte Carlo.
Yep, OP is really short on providing meaningful info. I think we can assume he used Monte Carlo option for FIRECalc, as he mentions a range of outputs. If you just plug in the fixed rate of return and inflation ( he didn't mention what he used for inflation), you get a single value.

-ERD50
ERD50 is offline   Reply With Quote