Join Early Retirement Today

? firecalc "random performance"
Old 08-15-2014, 01:17 PM   #1
Recycles dryer sheets

? firecalc "random performance"

I enjoy the firecalc calculator very much but have recently been getting some results I don't understand when I try to use the "random performance" under the "your portfolio" tab.

3% withdrawal for 40 years with 50/50 portfolio = 100%

If I change to the "random performance" - 3% inflation, 9% total returns and 10% standard deviation =90% success
I thought my inputs above should historically mimic a 50/50 portfolio?

The real reason I care is that I was trying to account for projected lower returns in the future (aka total returns around 6-7%) but then I get abysmal chance of success. Is it that scary or am I doing something wrong?

Thanks
newtoseattle is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 08-15-2014, 02:01 PM   #2
Recycles dryer sheets

I think (not the expert) that the random performance means Monte Carlo simulation of what the market will do with those parameters ((% +/-10%). Which means it is possible to have several long down trends (I dumped the data once and checked and saw a decade or so of -ve returns).

So if you think past performance is no guarantee of future it makes sense. But historically it doesn't. The Flexible Retirement Planner does MC simulations but appears to through out simulations that are the bottom/top 10% to try and avoid this situation. Not sure if Firecalc does
Old 08-15-2014, 02:40 PM   #3
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso) Give me a forum ...

You are correct that 'random performance' = Monte Carlo. And no, I do not believe Dory36 attempted to prevent the possibility of having several back-to-back bad years in MC simulations.

My personal opinion is using the random performance option in FIRECalc is like reading a Playboy magazine wearing a blindfold. You're missing the good stuff!
Old 08-15-2014, 03:00 PM   #4
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

It is possible that we could have 1929 to 1932 (deflation), then the 1973-1974 inflationary recession, followed by the decline in 2000 to 2003, and then the crash of 2008-2009. Yep, but I'm not going to worry about that sequence.
Lsbcal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2014, 03:09 PM   #5
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lsbcal View Post
It is possible that we could have 1929 to 1932 (deflation), then the 1973-1974 inflationary recession, followed by the decline in 2000 to 2003, and then the crash of 2008-2009. Yep, but I'm not going to worry about that sequence.
It seems equally possible that Martians will land in the parking lot and invite us in for a drink.

Retired Jan 2012 at age 56
pb4uski is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2014, 03:17 PM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by pb4uski View Post
It seems equally possible that Martians will land in the parking lot and invite us in for a drink.
Did someone mention cocktails? I'm in.
rodi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2014, 03:19 PM   #7
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by rodi View Post
Did someone mention cocktails? I'm in.
Me too <raise hand>

― Rudiger Dornbusch
MichaelB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2014, 05:00 PM   #8
Recycles dryer sheets

Thanks to all the replies-now I get it.
I'm also relieved to know that if it is the-end-of-the-world-as-we-know-it there will be cocktails...
newtoseattle is offline   Reply With Quote