FIREd like a boss! I walked out the door and didn't tell anyone!

I told you it was long and confusing...
12 hour night shifts are not fun.

Congrats on your exit, and pending move to TN.

I started working 12 Hr shifts on nights back in 87, and on call the day before... Then moved to a rotating schedule without the on call, a 28 day rotation, and basically worked it for the next 32 years.
Start days M-Th, 48 hrs in 4 days, Off a WEEK till the following Friday.
Friday-Monday on nights, 48 Hrs in 4 nights, off till Friday.
Friday start days till Sunday, Off Monday, Back in Tuesday on nights till Friday morning.... 72 hrs in 7 days. off the weekend and start again Monday.
After a month I'm still confused on when to sleep....:facepalm:

I have always given the standard "2 week notice" when I left for another job, and finally retirement.

But I was always prepared to pack up immediately once I tendered my resignation.

Sad to hear they screwed you over.

Congratulations on successfully reaching retirement. It’s sad that there are so many stories like this. People with years of experience and institutional wisdom could be a wealth of knowledge to so many within their organization in the last few months of employment. Although many companies do take advantage of this knowledge just as many likely don’t. Probably a function of leadership.

Here's how to do it

At the bank I worked for the fellow who ran mainframe operations for decades put in his retirement notice some six months in advance to allow a good transition. He was loved and the company loved him.

But he kept doing things himself and finally his manager told him to STOP DOING THAT! because his team and his replacement felt constrained because he was still there handling issues.

Howard sat diagonally behind me so we talked a lot even though I was in a different group (open office plan). One day I walked over to his desk and saw his computer and monitor were turned off, which was a bit of a shock.

Howard said "Katy told me to stop doing things so I did. I shut that thing off a week ago and no one has noticed yet."

I was in the presence of genius. A few days later Katy walked over to see Howard and he was reading yet another novel with his computer turned off. She was appalled and asked him what he was thinking.

He told her "You told me to do nothing so I shut this thing off two weeks ago and no one has noticed."

She turned red but kept her cool, calmly asked him to turn his computer on and at least answer emails, and walked away shaking her head.

It. Was. Beautiful.

And his replacement and team just picked up where he left off.

Congratulations. I bet you had envisioned your exit another way, but kudos to you for recognizing the unfairness and exiting promptly. Headlines of late, including news stories talk about the "Great Resignation" going on now and how it's unfair to employers. I would disagree. Most of these resignations (should be read as retirement) were brought on by unfair treatment of their employees. I too exited in 2021 - basically working from my dining room table 5 AM - 8PM plus weekends with no end in sight. After 7 months and many discussions that things needed to change with nothing changing, I retired from Mega Corp with a 2-week notice in Jan 2021. Retirement at my Mega Corp is nothing more than a resignation and access to sky high-cost Health Insurance. After nearly 30 years, not even a Company Thank You or even a damn card! Guess this is the new normal, so employers need to also be ready for this new normal with high turnover, poor moral and less productivity. Best move I ever made and best move you ever made also! :dance:

I stayed an extra 18 months. Got both YE bonuses, exercised my options at the 'right' time, and negotiated a golden handshake. Great employer but things had changed, as had I.

Never left a job or position on bad terms. Especially the last one. You never know when you will need a contact, a reference, etc. Besides, given the opportunity to leave on good terms or bad terms why choose the latter over the former.

Congrats on your departure!

I was a senior project engineer for an international company &, to be honest, I had no idea how important I was to them. When my boss (a man out of HQ who I'd never actually met, after 11 years) made a unilateral change that shredded my team, I quit, walking out the door.

My phone was ringing off the hook when I got home; not from my former company, but from the client. By dinnertime, I had a five-year non-cancelable contract to complete the work, at almost 10 times what I had been paid, & with a very-nice bonus to help me staff up. That was the start of my company, that I sold off two years ago, to my staff, when I FIREd myself, after 33 years of being my own boss!

I have always felt that unless your job requires it, best to give two weeks notice, because, you never know. The company will take advantage if they can get away with it, not all, but most.

I feel the same way about giving two weeks notice. I don’t think I could just walk out like that! But then again I feel I was pretty much always treated fairly.

I told you it was long and confusing...
12 hour night shifts are not fun.

Congrats on your exit, and pending move to TN.

I started working 12 Hr shifts on nights back in 87, and on call the day before... Then moved to a rotating schedule without the on call, a 28 day rotation, and basically worked it for the next 32 years.
Start days M-Th, 48 hrs in 4 days, Off a WEEK till the following Friday.
Friday-Monday on nights, 48 Hrs in 4 nights, off till Friday.
Friday start days till Sunday, Off Monday, Back in Tuesday on nights till Friday morning.... 72 hrs in 7 days. off the weekend and start again Monday.
After a month I'm still confused on when to sleep....:facepalm:

I feel your circadian rhythm pain. I worked a dredge job for 100 days straight, 2 weeks day, swing off, two weeks grave, day off, two weeks swing, and then a big 32 hour break to get back on day.
Those 8 hour double backs met the union requirements :facepalm:

My punishment was to be moved to another shift (again, this has NEVER been done before) at the end of the year where I had to work Thanksgiving, Christmas, New Years and three straight months of night shift with a group of guys who were opposite from me and I had never worked with them before. This also meant that all my vacation for the last three months of the year was cancelled. Christmas party at my house - cancelled. Trip to see my parents at Thanksgiving - cancelled. New Years with friends - cancelled.

Needless to say, I got the last laugh (I think)...

It is ridiculous that you had to work every holiday. Is there a financial reason (bonus etc) why you didn't just leave then rather than working the 3 months of nights?

I was working at a remote location. My job was going to be moved to another state so I was not going to leave my team in the lurch. But the atmosphere where I had been sitting for work had gotten hostile (not invited to office meetings, "counseled" about bringing a cold to someone on the other side of the partition (uh, I had allergies and we worked in a very open office environment with literally hundreds of other people.) So I gave notice to my team leader that I was leaving and transferred all my files to them in case they wanted to access. Then on my last day at 11:30, I sent an email to the local officer leader to say that I no longer worked there and walked out.

It is ridiculous that you had to work every holiday. Is there a financial reason (bonus etc) why you didn't just leave then rather than working the 3 months of nights?

Retirement isn't possible before you are 55YO so I stuck around. It is worth around $160K in retirement healthcare. We didn't absolutely need it, but I didn't want to give it up. My wife always told me I would regret, for the rest of my life, not hanging around to get that extra $$$. She is probably right.

Golden handcuffs...

I tried my best with maximum common courtesy and gave them six months notice. Their response was to screw me over.

i also gave 6-mos notice and had the exact opposite reaction from my boss. some folks are just hemorrhoids.

At the bank I worked for the fellow who ran mainframe operations for decades put in his retirement notice some six months in advance to allow a good transition. He was loved and the company loved him.

But he kept doing things himself and finally his manager told him to STOP DOING THAT! because his team and his replacement felt constrained because he was still there handling issues.

Howard sat diagonally behind me so we talked a lot even though I was in a different group (open office plan). One day I walked over to his desk and saw his computer and monitor were turned off, which was a bit of a shock.

Howard said "Katy told me to stop doing things so I did. I shut that thing off a week ago and no one has noticed yet."

I was in the presence of genius. A few days later Katy walked over to see Howard and he was reading yet another novel with his computer turned off. She was appalled and asked him what he was thinking.

He told her "You told me to do nothing so I shut this thing off two weeks ago and no one has noticed."

She turned red but kept her cool, calmly asked him to turn his computer on and at least answer emails, and walked away shaking her head.

It. Was. Beautiful.

And his replacement and team just picked up where he left off.

Great story!

But I have one question. Did his replacement and team pick “up where he left off” by turning off their computers and reading novels?

I have my plan already in place for this year, I will take all of December off and give my 2 weeks notice somewhere in November.

couple people on my team jumped ship last year and just gave the 2 weeks notice and there were no issues, upper management is jumping ship like crazy, 20 plus years in the mega corp, we were bought out 15 years ago.

Maybe they know something we don't, there has been a lot of out sourcing, I will take an early package if offered.

Yes, they got what they deserved! I thought I did the right thing by telling them a few months ago that I was going to leave in March after 32 years and they took revenge on me (long story).

So, two days ago I went to w*rk just like normal. At the end of the day I cleaned out my desk and walked out without saying a word. I'm burning all my vacation to get to my real retirement date of March 1st. I sent an email to the HR department this morning and notified them but my boss and subordinates don't know yet. I already had vacation scheduled for the next 13 days so they won't expect anything when I don't show up next week.

I will still have to go in for 4 hours in a month and another 4 hours on my last day to tie up loose ends but other than that I am done. I'll do it after hours when no one is around. I'll submit my team's timesheets and year end reviews from home.

Much better than my story which I've relayed several times.

After creating my own assignment at Megacorp and enjoying it for many years, apparently Megacorp realized that I was having fun. So I was abruptly assigned to something I didn't want to do. DW and I talked it over that week end and (Tuesday after Labor Day) I informed my boss that Friday was my last day at Megacorp (technically, it was end of the month but I used the remainder of my vacation.) My boss's boss and her boss both came over to see me and find out what was "wrong." I informed them that "I'm not mad, I'm not hurt, I just don't want to do the new assignment and I don't have to. I'm outta here." It was a beautiful thing. YMMV

Much better than my story which I've relayed several times.

Not sure if mine is better, yours is pretty sweet!

FWIW, it has been 5 days since I emailed my three bosses and told them I am never coming back. I have yet to hear a peep out of them. One of them is the guy who approves my vacation. I can see it is still not approved but I have a week or so before I have to worry about that. He is always very slow in approving it anyway.

Another FWIW, when I originally gave them my 6 months notice (via email) I only heard from one of them so ignoring me might be their modus operandi. I've been working with the three of them for 32, 30, and 22 years.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom