Portal Forums Links Register FAQ Community Calendar Log in

Join Early Retirement Today

Old 01-14-2022, 04:59 AM   #21
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Good job leaving the job.
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 01-14-2022, 05:28 AM   #22
Recycles dryer sheets

I wouldn't have even thought about slipping away incognito. Instead they threw me a couple of parties and a dinner. I got gag gifts and got to hug a lot of necks. It even made the front page of the newspaper. It was a great 38 year career. I even consulted for them for a few years after. My practice has always been to burn no bridges regardless of how the other side has acted.
steveark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2022, 06:21 AM   #23
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Golden sunsets View Post
Just another example that providing more notice is not in your interests.
It's often not in the company's interest either.

I used to tell people giving their notice "two hours should be enough to clean out your desk". We didn't want any 'dead men walking' or martyrs trashing the company for weeks on end. Everyone got a hefty severance: one month for short timers--up to two years for long termers.

Having said that, if the OP was financially able when they demoted his job, I'd have walked out right there and then. Why hang around to put up with that crap?
Old 01-14-2022, 06:32 AM   #24
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Quote:
Originally Posted by pjm-7 View Post
Can we cue the Johnny Paycheck . . . take this job and shove it!
The first thing that entered my mind also.
Stormy Kromer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2022, 06:37 AM   #25
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by rmcelwee View Post
Yes, they got what they deserved! I thought I did the right thing by telling them a few months ago that I was going to leave in March after 32 years and they took revenge on me (long story).

So, two days ago I went to w*rk just like normal. At the end of the day I cleaned out my desk and walked out without saying a word. I'm burning all my vacation to get to my real retirement date of March 1st. I sent an email to the HR department this morning and notified them but my boss and subordinates don't know yet. I already had vacation scheduled for the next 13 days so they won't expect anything when I don't show up next week.

I will still have to go in for 4 hours in a month and another 4 hours on my last day to tie up loose ends but other than that I am done. I'll do it after hours when no one is around. I'll submit my team's timesheets and year end reviews from home.
Not sure I get this. It sounds like March is still your retirement date. Did you originally plan to work until March and then take leave as a lump sum? Is there anything the company can do to screw you over and deny you benefits that won't accrue until March?
Old 01-14-2022, 06:55 AM   #26
Recycles dryer sheets

recelwee

Congrats on your soon to be retirement.
Old 01-14-2022, 07:27 AM   #27
Recycles dryer sheets

Quote:
Originally Posted by donheff View Post
Not sure I get this. It sounds like March is still your retirement date. Did you originally plan to work until March and then take leave as a lump sum? Is there anything the company can do to screw you over and deny you benefits that won't accrue until March?
Yes, March 1 is still my official retirement date because I turn 55 on Feb 26th. If I wait until March 1 I not only meet the age requirement but also get my healthcare paid for that month.

Yes, normally people are paid for their vacation in a lump sum. I will use my vacation instead of cashing it out.

Can they screw me over somehow? Probably. Not sure how but there is always a way.

“A calm and modest life brings more happiness than the pursuit of success combined with constant restlessness”
- Albert Einstein
rmcelwee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2022, 07:41 AM   #28
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Yes, March 1 is still my official retirement date because I turn 55 on Feb 26th. If I wait until March 1 I not only meet the age requirement but also get my healthcare paid for that month.

Yes, normally people are paid for their vacation in a lump sum. I will use my vacation instead of cashing it out.

Can they screw me over somehow? Probably. Not sure how but there is always a way.
Maybe cancel your leave for work exigencies and then fire you before you turn 55 if you don't return? If all you did with HR is notify them of the March 1 date, I would be careful about what you do after your current two weeks vacation is over. Don't give them any excuse to fire you.
Old 01-14-2022, 08:02 AM   #29
Give me a forum ...

Congratulations. Nothing better than getting the last word in.
Bamaman is offline   Reply With Quote
Retirement
Old 01-14-2022, 08:55 AM   #30
Recycles dryer sheets

Retirement

My last day of the year I retired was Oct 1. They credit 2 days of vacation on the first day of each month so I worked that one day in October and they credited me with 2 days of vacation for which they payed me when I cashed out my unused vacation time. So I got three days of pay for working one day. Ha
Bogie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2022, 10:19 AM   #31
Give me a forum ...

My DW just got a call from one of the c-suite bosses to tell her that her boss (VP position) is being let go next week. He has worked for the company for nearly 30 years. Employees are nothing but a commodity.

Even worse, she was told that she would probably fill his position...which is not a good deal since she has already been working too much. Oye.
Old 01-14-2022, 10:57 AM   #32

Quote:
Originally Posted by ExFlyBoy5 View Post

Even worse, she was told that she would probably fill his position...which is not a good deal since she has already been working too much. Oye.

Thank you sir may I have another? If you want something done give it to the busy people. No good deed goes unpunished. Beatings will continue til moral improves.

The list goes on and on.
JDARNELL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2022, 11:21 AM   #33
Give me a forum ...

I hope all works out for you and they don't take advantage of you for exiting.

I gave ~1 year notice of my departure. I can say I was treated with no hard feeling and treated equal till the day I walked out. I did mention to them when I gave that long of notice (which they wanted) that they didn't throw me under the bus. I'm not sure that helped but I could have made it pretty uncomfortable for them with things I knew from the past. I would have used some of those events and brought them out for public awareness if I was treated like a dog.
street is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2022, 11:54 AM   #34

Congrats. I retired 5 years ago from a [mod edit] megacorp and only years later began to realize just how truly unhealthy it was. You are free now and you earned it....
Old 01-14-2022, 12:52 PM   #35

OP, much congratulations. Now you can get busy on the new farm and I am excited to hear about your progress. Keep us posted
Operating Engineer for a commercial plumbing contractor
skyking1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2022, 01:05 PM   #36
Give me a forum ...

ugh, night shift is horrible for your health!
Welcome to your (soon to be) Retirement
I have always felt that unless your job requires it, best to give two weeks notice, because, you never know. The company will take advantage if they can get away with it, not all, but most.
Old 01-14-2022, 04:43 PM   #37
Recycles dryer sheets

Quote:
I told you it was long and confusing...

Shift #1 - Me (supervisor) and seven other guys.
Shift #2 - You (supervisor) and seven other guys.

I and my seven guys will work all night and give turnover to you and your seven guys when you arrive in the morning. You will work all day and give turnover to me when I arrive that night. We will work nights like this for six grueling soul crushing weeks. 12 hour night shifts are not fun.

Normally, six weeks later, I move to dayshift with my seven guys and you move to nightshift with your seven guys. EXCEPT, my boss calls me in and says I am staying on night shift with your seven guys and you get to stay on dayshift with my seven guys. No reason, no explanation, nothing. This means I lose all scheduled vacation (because my work days have changed) and work three months straight night shift.

Occasionally at the end of the year one of the seven guys from Shift #1 (definitely not the supervisor) will change places with a guy from Shift #2. This might be due to a personality conflict or something. It is rare.
At first I wasn't sure your exit approach was cool, but after reading the long story I have no problem with it. Sorry you got treated like that. I think a lot of this type of bad management is behind the great resignation. Whether folks are retiring or just quitting in response to bad management, I don't blame them.
WhenIsItTime is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2022, 04:45 PM   #38
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by marko View Post
It's often not in the company's interest either.

I used to tell people giving their notice "two hours should be enough to clean out your desk". We didn't want any 'dead men walking' or martyrs trashing the company for weeks on end. Everyone got a hefty severance: one month for short timers--up to two years for long termers.

Having said that, if the OP was financially able when they demoted his job, I'd have walked out right there and then. Why hang around to put up with that crap?
In my area of work, once one submitted their resignation, they were walked out that day.
Old 01-14-2022, 05:06 PM   #39

I was kicked out (along with many others over a period of 10 years) about two years before I was ready. Be grateful you can pick the time of your choosing, even if the company short-changes it somehow by a few weeks.
statsman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2022, 05:37 PM   #40

Being self employed and most if not all my work comes through 1 internet portal or another, I guess all I have to do is change my status to on vacation. And set the end date a few years down the road. What bonus?

OK, I will tell the clients I work with most and like.
MC Rider is offline   Reply With Quote