Join Early Retirement Today

First Baby Boomer files for SS Benefits...
Old 10-15-2007, 03:28 PM   #1
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

First Baby Boomer files for SS Benefits...

Someone has to be "first", I suppose...

First boomer applies for Social Security - Yahoo! News

WASHINGTON - The nation's first baby boomer applied for Social Security benefits Monday, signaling the start of an expected avalanche of applications from the post World War II war generation.

Kathleen Casey-Kirschling, a former teacher from New Jersey, applied for benefits over the Internet at an event attended by Social Security Commissioner Michael Astrue. Casey-Kirschling, who now lives in Maryland, was born one second after midnight on Jan. 1, 1946, making her the first baby boomer — a generation of nearly 80 million born from 1946 to 1964, Astrue said.

Casey-Kirschling will be eligible for benefits after she turns 62 next year

I'm betting she didn't follow the many threads here on when to take SS -- but she did file three months in advance!
Achiever51 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 10-15-2007, 03:54 PM   #2
Moderator Emeritus

The oft quoted number on when SS can't pay it's bills is 2041. My age at that time? 67. Sheesh.

If they do nothing, I think they have to drop the benefit to 75 cents on the dollar - or maybe they'll just borrow. I think I'll follow this lady's lead and file when I'm 61.75 years old.

Obviously the reduced benefits aren't going to hurt me as much as some. I guess eventually the SS check will simply cover the neccessary supplemental health insurance that everyone buys on top of Medicare.

For all the talk of fixing SS, is part of the reason nothing is happening the fact that everyone currently in power (Baby Boomers and older) will be ~77 or older before the wheels start to come off?
laurence is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2007, 05:47 PM   #3

Isn't it ironic that on the one hand the govt is encouraging people to delay taking their benefits until full retirement age...but on the other hand they're issuing a press release and holding a special event to recognize the first Baby Boomer to ignore their advice??
Achiever51 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2007, 05:53 PM   #4
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Achiever51 View Post
Isn't it ironic that on the one hand the govt is encouraging people to delay taking their benefits until full retirement age...but on the other hand they're issuing a press release and holding a special event to recognize the first Baby Boomer to ignore their advice??
I suspect they wanted to do it because they wanted people to realize that the beginning of the end of the mythical "surpluses" is upon us, and make us realize we have to do something soon to "fix" it.
"Hey, for every ten dollars, that's another hour that I have to be in the work place. That's an hour of my life. And my life is a very finite thing. I have only 'x' number of hours left before I'm dead. So how do I want to use these hours of my life? Do I want to use them just spending it on more crap and more stuff, or do I want to start getting a handle on it and using my life more intelligently?" -- Joe Dominguez (1938 - 1997)
ziggy29 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2007, 05:56 PM   #5
Gone but not forgotten

What a minute ! I' m a baby boomer and I started collecting last January ( widows can collect at 60 ) so where is my press release !
Moemg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2007, 06:55 PM   #6
Full time employment: Posting here.

Yikes, I'd better get suited up and head to the bullpen. I'm on deck next month.

Lets see at 365 boomers/hr times 24, times 42 days. 2 times 5, carry the one.......

Gadzooks, I'm 368000 back in line. Sure hope they got money left when I get there. I wonder if you have to go to the end line if you make a pit stop?

Maybe if I'm lucky all the others will still be working and there won't be a line.

Then again, if I wait..........2/3%/month increase ain't chicken feed.
UncleHoney is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2007, 10:23 AM   #7
Moderator Emeritus

Has anyone investigated the financial implications if every boomer takes his/her SS early? Will that put a run on the bank or is the difference in benefits from 62 to 67 enough to actually be beneficial to the system? If the latter is true, might there be a vast conspiracy to have the media shill stories of impending SS doom to get everyone to file early and thus save the system? Excuse me, I need to buy some tin foil...
laurence is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2007, 11:45 AM   #8
Dryer sheet aficionado

Quote:
Originally Posted by laurencewill View Post
Has anyone investigated the financial implications if every boomer takes his/her SS early? Will that put a run on the bank or is the difference in benefits from 62 to 67 enough to actually be beneficial to the system? If the latter is true, might there be a vast conspiracy to have the media shill stories of impending SS doom to get everyone to file early and thus save the system? Excuse me, I need to buy some tin foil...
I don't think you're paranoid at all. I've also considered the same possibility.
talltrees is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2007, 02:35 PM   #9
Full time employment: Posting here.

Why should they worry. They don't have to wonder about SS;they get a congressional pension instead, or maybe in addition to...

Put them all on SS and watch it happen.
Old 10-16-2007, 02:38 PM   #10

in line with another thread here did you notice that the m/v "first boomer" looked like about a 46-foot grand banks trawler. speaking of nice dreamboat.

"life should begin with age and its privileges and accumulations, and end with youth and its capacity to splendidly enjoy such advantages."~~mark twain - letter to edward kimmitt 1901
lazygood4nothinbum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2007, 11:46 PM   #11

before i found mom's alzheimer's overwelming, i used to be pretty active in civic activity. but then between work, taking care of mom and fighting my own depression, i ran out of steam for community service. now into my second year of early retirement--& finally coming out of my depression--i'm looking for things to do.

i just came across on craiglist what i think is an interesting aspect of boomers aging in that it not only lends itself to community service, but it highlights the innovation & generosity of the boomer spirit as well as the special needs of a diverse & aging society.

here is the craiglist ad:

Quote:
The Nobel A. McArtor Senior Day Center, a program of SunServe and the Aging & Disability Resource Center, is open in beautiful East Fort Lauderdale. The Center is the first in the country to specialize in caring for Gay and Lesbian seniors, although services are provided to any senior who qualifies, regardless of sexual orientation, religious affiliation, or income level. The goal of the Center is to provide opportunities for interaction, education and recreation for frail seniors, while assisting them to maintain their level of independence and dignity. The Center also provides respite for caregivers, allowing them to work or take care of their own needs without the worry of leaving their loved one home alone.

The Day Center is open Monday through Friday, from 8:30 a.m. – 5:00 p.m. A structured day of activities is offered, along with a hot lunch from Broward Meals on Wheels, and morning and afternoon snacks. The Center also offers field trips and guest entertainers on an on-going basis. It’s a wonderful place for seniors to remain active and -make new friends, while maintaining their level of independence and delaying- institutionalization. A Registered Nurse is on staff to monitor participants’ well-being, and alert caregivers to any health concerns. Transportation can be arranged through Broward County’s Para Transit system, if needed. Seniors are welcome to attend the Center as many days a week as they choose.

To qualify, participants must be at least 60 years old and need assistance with at least 2 Activities of Daily Living (bathing, eating, dressing, walking, using the bathroom, standing up/sitting down). There is no required fee for services to eligible individuals, although donations are accepted and used to provide additional programming.

The McArtor Center is funded by the Older Americans Act through the Florida Department of Elder Affairs and the Are Agency on Aging of Broward County. The program is licensed by the Florida Agency for Health Care Administration (license #9013).

The Center is located at 1480 SW 9th Avenue, on the grounds of the Sunshine Cathedral, betweenSR 84f and Davie Boulevard, East of I-95.

For more information, or to schedule a tour of the Center, please call:

954-764-5055

"life should begin with age and its privileges and accumulations, and end with youth and its capacity to splendidly enjoy such advantages."~~mark twain - letter to edward kimmitt 1901
lazygood4nothinbum is offline   Reply With Quote