Portal Forums Links Register FAQ Community Calendar Log in

Join Early Retirement Today

First Bear Stearn -- Now Lehman Bros.
Old 06-12-2008, 03:35 PM   #1
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

First Bear Stearn -- Now Lehman Bros.

Is LB the next one to fall?

The jerks that were canned will probably be hired by another firm fairly quickly. However, they do not deserve to work in the industry again.

Lehman Brothers removes finance, operating chiefs: Financial News - Yahoo! Finance

Oh... the CEO should be canned also. But somehow he canned the others and is hanging on so far.
chinaco is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 06-12-2008, 03:56 PM   #2
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

I hope not. At least not until I get my 10% ROI on stock I bought while I was flopped on the couch this afternoon! Not to worry this is just a tiny portion of the portfolio.
crazy connie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2008, 04:20 PM   #3
Give me a forum ...

From the article,
Quote:
And while Lehman might have bought itself some more time by shaking up its top ranks, the question remains how much it has left.
Doesn't sound good!! I am shocked. (But then, I am easily shocked.)

Happily retired since 2009, at age 61. Best years of my life by far!
W2R is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2008, 07:18 PM   #4
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Quote:
Originally Posted by chinaco View Post
Is LB the next one to fall?

The jerks that were canned will probably be hired by another firm fairly quickly. However, they do not deserve to work in the industry again.

Lehman Brothers removes finance, operating chiefs: Financial News - Yahoo! Finance

Oh... the CEO should be canned also. But somehow he canned the others and is hanging on so far.
The CFO took on that role sept 07. She is a scapegoat, nothing more. I agree the CEO is the one ultimately responsible. I get the sense he is hoping that a few scapegoats will deflect attention from him.

DD
DblDoc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2008, 01:59 AM   #5
Give me a forum ...

Fuld should go... soon.

He shouldn't expect the reward of holding on to his extremely lucrative job if he ruins the company.

The board should can him... Investors should be outraged.

Dick Fuld's strategy has Lehman fighting for its life - MarketWatch
chinaco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2008, 03:38 AM   #6
Recycles dryer sheets

It's dejavu all over again.

Jimmy C made his right hand man Warren S walk the plank right as the perfect storm hit BS. Dick Fuld will do all that he can to save skin but it's an exercise in futility. I truly feel sorry for the 28k employees at Lehman, what they are going thru is something I wouldn't wish upon anyone.
Salaryman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2008, 06:02 AM   #7
Recycles dryer sheets

There are going to be a number of these big guys folding.
Just stay tuned.
If you approach it like, oh, say sports, it gets more interesting. Maybe even place some bets if you're a wagering sort of citizen.

Or maybe you can see these coming collapses as a series of modern-themed medieval morality plays in the offing. Some of the players will appears as Sloth, others Greed.
Lust is a personal favorite.

Do not be a "gloomy gus". Enjoy!!!
Consult with only myself as your adviser or representative. My thoughts should be construed as investment advice of the highest caliber. Past performance is but a pale shadow and guarantee of even greater results in the future.
barbarus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2008, 07:37 PM   #8
Recycles dryer sheets

Barbarus, this isn't just sport for those that are in the thick of things. It's a blood sport and there are real casualties everywhere.

The only morality play that I can think of is Medea in terms of brutality and horror.

I've seen people's life savings go Poof! and grown men and women cry....and we're just getting started, as you rightly surmised.

Hope you stay dry out there during this flood season.
Salaryman is offline   Reply With Quote