First Quarter, 2007 Investment Returns

Down apprx 2.2%.

Concentrated portfolio, 98% equities.

Bought one stock too early but returns for my portfolio can change quickly.

Mine is 2.50% without checking my 401... think I did a bit better in it..

OK.. checked the 401... it was 3.65% for a combined 2.8% for the qtr..

And.... another modify... add about .9 to 1% for today!!

Up 2.38 % so far with a 60/40 portfolio. Hope it continues.

Ditto. Equity portion is highly concentrated in international arena.

You guys that waited till after two pretty good market days are CHEATING!!! :D ;)

I actually don't know how to tell ;) Vanguard's website isn't as useful, IMO, as the fidelity one for showing IRR over various timespans. And since almost all my money is in Vanguard, I can't compute this without another program. Or do you guys have some trick?

I tried to use MS Money a couple years ago, but honestly, it's a bit overwhelming to get all your data in there. I suppose I should be embarrassed by that statement since I am a software developer by trade ;)

NinjaPigeon said:
I actually don't know how to tell ;) Vanguard's website isn't as useful, IMO, as the fidelity one for showing IRR over various timespans. And since almost all my money is in Vanguard, I can't compute this without another program. Or do you guys have some trick?

I tried to use MS Money a couple years ago, but honestly, it's a bit overwhelming to get all your data in there. I suppose I should be embarrassed by that statement since I am a software developer by trade ;)

I don't do it, but you can download all of your info from almost any of the investment sites... no data entry required!!

Vanguard does have a page that shows your return for the past 12 months, 3 years and 5 years... you can pick and choose taxable or retirement and then individual funds... there is a graph and all... for someone who wants to calculate the qtr, just look at your qtr ending balance and compare to the prior year end balance taking into account cash in or out..

Well, 1/1 through 3/31/07 it was 2.3% for me. On a 57% equities portfolio.

But after another happy market week it's up 3.3% YTD already! (just so that I can join in those "cheaters" who waited for a few good market days before reporting).

I use the ROI computation Quicken. It does a great job - backing out money added during the time period and giving you credit for withdrawals during the time period.

Audrey

citril said:
VTSMX was about 1.4%
If VTSMX is dominated by large cap, which I suspect it is, large cap funds were the serious laggards during Q1 2007. Other equity classes did much better.

Audrey

1.98% all in my 403b...

edit: 1.98 was thru 3/31

ytd 3.74!

I think my spreadsheet is stretched beyond its abilities! I went ahead and downloaded the trial version of MS Money. After several hours of inputting data from my various accounts, it comes up with a 2.3% investment return for Q1 2007. I am about 99% equities.

justin said:
You guys that waited till after two pretty good market days are CHEATING!!! :D ;)

Took a look... only one guy was 'cheating'... do you see more:confused:

Texas Proud said:
Took a look... only one guy was 'cheating'... do you see more:confused:

Well, I was joking ( :D ;) ). But honestly, I did think you were the other "cheater" - I misread your post to mean that you checked your 401k results through 4/2 or 4/3. Now I see that you meant you checked the balance for the quarterly results and you didn't "cheat". Appologies, good sir. But for the record, I was kidding about folks being cheaters anyway. It isn't like you get a prize here for super investment results! :D ;) ;) ;)

Thought I would throw in my results (401k, which is about 90% stock): 2.0%

When the market took its dive in late Feb., I decided to track my performance results to see how fast or slow my account would recover - as a "test" to its diversification (I know, its a really short timeframe for that, but I thought it would be an interesting exercise anyway :) ).

Late Feb., before the first dive: 3.5% for the year

Lowest point after both dives: -1.1%

1st quarter: 2.0%

I also thought a couple of my fund results for the first quarter were interesting to me:

International fund: 4.5%
Small cap fund: 3.8%
Global: 1.7%
Large Cap funds: Three funds - Vanguard total market: 0.6%, Investment Company of America: 1.0%, AMCAP: 2.0%

As of April 5, my total return for the year is now 3.7%.

17% through 3/31 in equities portion driven by JSDA which went crazy. 80% equities now. :D

justin said:
Well, I was joking ( :D ;) ). But honestly, I did think you were the other "cheater" - I misread your post to mean that you checked your 401k results through 4/2 or 4/3. Now I see that you meant you checked the balance for the quarterly results and you didn't "cheat". Appologies, good sir. But for the record, I was kidding about folks being cheaters anyway. It isn't like you get a prize here for super investment results! :D ;) ;) ;)

I know you were kidding... I just wanted to check who you thought was cheating...

And yes... I did get a PRIZE... I got MONEY.. :D :D

Not from here mind you, but it got me closer to my FIRE date..

kcowan said:
17% through 3/31 in equities portion driven by JSDA which went crazy. 80% equities now. :D

AND THE WINNER IS......

I'm amazed (and confused) that year after year the majority of the posters manage to beat the S&P 500 by a sizeable margin. Even professional money managers have a tough time doing that. Just what is the deal here? Do you guys really do that good? I'm not calling anybody here a cheater... But if it's true, I just want to get in on the action!

1.9%

The United States has one of the lowest market percentage gains during the last 12 months. Have you noticed that most other nations have had huge increases? --

Australia 33%
Sweden 28%
France 19%
etc.
etc.
USA 9%
Japan is below us.

What is going on? Maybe I should move 50% of my portfolio into other global markets.

Back
Top Bottom