First Social Security payment

jpeter1093

Recycles dryer sheets
We applied and got approved for our payment benefits to start in September 2022. I expected (based on my birthday of the 2nd) to receive first payment on October 12 (second Wednesday of the month). But today’s benefit confirmation letter says I’ll get my first payment on October 1 WITHOUT my Medicare B premium being deducted. Then my next on the second Wednesday in November WITH the Medicare deduction. I hadn’t seen mention of this first payment anomaly. Any insights?

Last edited:
It’s based on the week of your birthday. So since your birthday is in the first 7 days of the month, you’ll get your check the first week of the month.

At what age did you apply SSB? If you start at FRA, you need to pay Medicare Part B (probably not A) first at 65 (paid every 3 months). Any possibility you already paid for Part B for Sept.? Or SSB might missed Sept. deduction? Also check your website as well to make sure there is no error or just call the 800# for why.

It’s based on the week of your birthday. So since your birthday is in the first 7 days of the month, you’ll get your check the first week of the month.

I don't think so, the SSA website and letter clearly indicate, based on my birth day; my regular payments will come on the 2nd Wednesday and my wife's on the 3rd Wednesday (her birth day is the 19th). I don't have any questions about that; it's just this FIRST one coming on the first of October

At what age did you apply SSB? If you start at FRA, you need to pay Medicare Part B (probably not A) first at 65 (paid every 3 months). Any possibility you already paid for Part B for Sept.? Or SSB might missed Sept. deduction? Also check your website as well to make sure there is no error or just call the 800# for why.

Aha! I'm at FRA and, yes, I've already paid part B for Sept; so that explains the amount difference. But why is the first one paid on the first of the following month (October in this case) and not the regular Wednesday? Could be just a programming 'feature'

Yes. If you apply SSB/Medicare at the same time (say at 65), the first payment will have two months Part B deducted instead of one as Medicare is prepay while SSB is afterpay. Still no idea why you get paid on 1st as no regular SSB pay should be on that day...

Last edited:
Yes. If you apply SSB/Medicare at the same time (say at 65). The first payment will have two months Part B deducted instead of one as Medicare is prepay while SSB is afterpay. Still no idea why you get paid on 1st as no regular SSB pay should be on that day...

Well, I haven't seen that October 1 payment in my account, yet. I'm assuming it will show up on Monday. Thanks

Well, I haven't seen that October 1 payment in my account, yet. I'm assuming it will show up on Monday. Thanks
Wait second, Oct.1 is Saturday! I don't think SSA works on non-business days or any bank takes incoming DD on non-business days. Could this be an error from the letter and/or website?

Last edited:
Wait second, Oct.1 is Saturday! I don't think SSA works on non-business days or any bank takes incoming DD on non-business days. Could this be an error from the letter and/or website?

Don't think so, both my wife's and my letter said the same date. They could DD the day before or just do the "if the first of the month is a weekend or holiday, it will occur on the next following business day". I think the first is just boilerplate

I applied this time last year for my SS to begin January 2022, first payment to be in February- the second Wednesday as my birthday is the 5th of the month.
I was told this both verbally and in writing. I’ve been getting my payments on the second Wednesday.
I don’t know why you would get it on the first.
SSI is on the first of the month and people who started receiving SSA before a particular year (can’t remember which year) receive theirs on the third of the month.
It will be interesting to hear the reason.

Attachments

• IMG_5530.jpg
    IMG_5530.jpg
    621 KB · Views: 36
I think this happens when SS determines that your first check is different than ongoing checks. The ongoing checks go through their regular payment process. But the first check must be handled differently due to the different amount. So they hedge their bets and give you the approximate timing that you will see it.

Anyway, for what it’s worth, the same thing happened with my husband’s first payment.

I think this happens when SS determines that your first check is different than ongoing checks. The ongoing checks go through their regular payment process. But the first check must be handled differently due to the different amount. So they hedge their bets and give you the approximate timing that you will see it.

Anyway, for what it’s worth, the same thing happened with my husband’s first payment.

That's a good theory, however, my wife isn't yet on Medicare but applied for Social Security at the same time as me. She got the same letter but her amounts are all equal. So still baffled

That's a good theory, however, my wife isn't yet on Medicare but applied for Social Security at the same time as me. She got the same letter but her amounts are all equal. So still baffled
Did your wife apply based on your record or her own? If based on yours, the payment date will be based on your BD, not her own.

Social Security determines that one attains their age the day before their birthday. In your case you were your age for the full month of September (attained your age September 1) , so you are due a check for Sept. They send a check out for past due money, as quickly as they can, thus the earlier time for the September check. After that you will receive your normal check on your normal date. This happens for people who are born on the 1st or 2nd of the month.

Hmm. I turned 67 today so not sure what an anttained age is back to September 1. Additionally, my wife isn’t yet 65 and birth day later than the 2nd. She applied when I did on her own earnings and she got the same letter with the first payment date of October 1.

First one is higher because you prepaid most likely your OCTOBER MEDICARE in September. Beginning with your October SS payment, it will deduct your medicare for NOvember.

SS paid a month later, medicare pd month prior

Well, I was commenting on the payment dates not why they determined a different payment amount for the first payment. It doesn’t seem unreasonable that they process ongoing payments differently than one time payments. As I said, it is how my husband’s SS was processed. First payment was not the same as ongoing payments and was paid based on the information in a very similar letter. You could always call them - they explained the amounts to us when we called. And although it seemed convoluted, it came out ok.

Well, I was commenting on the payment dates not why they determined a different payment amount for the first payment. It doesn’t seem unreasonable that they process ongoing payments differently than one time payments. As I said, it is how my husband’s SS was processed. First payment was not the same as ongoing payments and was paid based on the information in a very similar letter. You could always call them - they explained the amounts to us when we called. And although it seemed convoluted, it came out ok.

Yup, understood. I was just trying to say the differing amount (for me) of the first payment vs ongoing being the reason for the first payment date difference isn't borne out because my wife's first payment is NOT different than her ongoing, yet she is also getting her first payment on the first of the month, as well. Whew! Run on sentence much? LOL

Back
Top Bottom