First time using TurboTax

lawman

Thinks s/he gets paid by the post
Want to try doing my taxes myself for 2022. Can someone tell me where I can look on my 2021 return to see if I have any carryover loss. Is there a place on TurboTax to enter that info? Will TurboTax capture and save my carryover loss from year to year or will I have to keep up with it and manually enter it each year?

I don’t remember where it shows up on the return, but Turbo Tax will keep track of it from year to year once you enter the amount the first time.

Want to try doing my taxes myself for 2022. Can someone tell me where I can look on my 2021 return to see if I have any carryover loss.

In your last return you should find a "Capital Loss Carryforward Worksheet" which is not filed but kept as part of your records.

Great! So if my return does not have one I assume I had no carryover loss..

I don’t think that’s a fair assumption. Who prepared your return last?

In your last return you should find a "Capital Loss Carryforward Worksheet" which is not filed but kept as part of your records.

I have no "Capital Loss Carryforward Worksheet". But I do have a "Return Carryover Summary" that shows some "Non-Recaptured Net Section 1231 Losses" and some "Qualified Business Income Deduction Carryforward "
Are those losses I can carryover?

I'm not sure how those are handled, but I'm confident that if you enter them in TT, it will handle them correctly. Typically, what I do when in unfamiliar territory, is let TT handle it but then I research it so that I understand it to be done correctly. It helps the research to see how TT handled it. I never rely totally on the software. Thankfully, my return is simple and consistent with prior years, so nothing new to deal with.

Net capital loss deductions are limited to $3000 per year. Any excess is carried over.

So if you did not show a $3000 capital loss on line 7, there is no carryover.

Net capital loss deductions are limited to $3000 per year. Any excess is carried over.

So if you did not show a $3000 capital loss on line 7, there is no carryover.

I have a positive number on line 7 so I don't need to worry about losing anything if I do TurboTax for 2022....Correct?

Back
Top Bottom