Join Early Retirement Today

First year w/o itemizing for taxes since 1985
Old 02-03-2020, 03:20 PM   #1
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

First year w/o itemizing for taxes since 1985

This will be the first time since 1985 that my DW and I will not be able to itemize deductions for taxes. We're not even close to the standard deduction (mortgage was paid off late 2018; rented for half of 2019, property tax (TX) based on land value for 2019 with new house build).

As usual, we're filing with TurboTax. Does it make any sense to fill in what deductions we do have (small property taxes, charitable contributions, medical expenses beyond 7.5%) if TurboTax is just going to apply the standard deduction?
statsman is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 02-03-2020, 03:29 PM   #2
Full time employment: Posting here.

I continue to enter my deductions in.

At the end I get a summary that compares previous years and standard vs itemized.

I am tempted to not type it in for 2019, but I probably will.
bloom2708 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2020, 03:40 PM   #3

We haven't itemized for I guess about 20 years. After we paid off the house the standard deduction got us the lower tax so that's what we use.
Old 02-03-2020, 03:45 PM   #4
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

I don't bother when I know there's no way I come out ahead itemizing. No need to add any more work to doing taxes, IMO.

If you live in a state where you can claim standard on federal, but itemize on state, you might want to do it. My state doesn't allow this.
RunningBum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2020, 03:47 PM   #5
Full time employment: Posting here.

We entered everything last year even though I knew we would be using the standard deduction. One or two of the items ended up coming into play on the state taxes. I think charitable deductions might have been one of them.
Old 02-03-2020, 03:53 PM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by RunningBum View Post
I don't bother when I know there's no way I come out ahead itemizing. No need to add any more work to doing taxes, IMO.

If you live in a state where you can claim standard on federal, but itemize on state, you might want to do it. My state doesn't allow this.
That's what I was thinking. Since we moved from CA to TX in late 2018, we won't file a state return for the first time since high school (at least for me) this year.
statsman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2020, 04:19 PM   #7
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
I don't bother when I know there's no way I come out ahead itemizing. No need to add any more work to doing taxes, IMO. ...
+1

Retired Jan 2012 at age 56
pb4uski is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2020, 04:57 PM   #8

We live in a state when they will carry over itemized deductions to subtract off state income tax. So, yes I do. Since itemizing takes twenty minutes on TT with info carryover it's no big deal. All the time spent is inputting K-1's. So nice now to import out of Schwab and Fidelity for CG's.
Old 02-03-2020, 05:58 PM   #9
Give me a forum ...

I don’t bother. I know I am below the standard deduction. If you enter them TT just tells you the standard deduction is best for you and you’ll never get that 10 minutes of your life back.
COcheesehead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2020, 10:20 PM   #10
Recycles dryer sheets

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bir48die View Post
We live in a state when they will carry over itemized deductions to subtract off state income tax. So, yes I do.

Ditto...I live in a state where you can take the standard deduction on federal and itemize on state (I believe the state (CA) standard deduction is $4537) so it's always worth it to itemize (my property taxes alone exceed the state standard deduction)
Out_the_Door is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2020, 05:12 AM   #11

Quote:

+2
Old 02-04-2020, 05:31 AM   #12

Waste of life to gather the information if I can't use it.
badatmath is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2020, 05:51 AM   #13

we continue to enter the data. it’s EZ enough to do and i like seeing how it compares to previous years.
Dispatcher, then shift supv, then administrator for a regional 9-1-1 call center
rk911 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2020, 06:25 AM   #14
Recycles dryer sheets

Itemizing was always what took the longest time for me. Last year was my first year I benefited from the larger standard deduction. After starting, it didn't take me long to see I was never going to reach the SD. Taxes are a breeze now. Import my stuff from Fidelity and everything goes to where it's supposed to without any effort on my part. Some of my accounts are managed with a lot of buying, selling with capital gains, wash sales, etc. A nightmare if I had to figure that out myself. Plug in a few other things like bank interest, annuity income, SS and I'm DONE! Piece of cake! No need putting in itemized deductions. Waste of time IMO. I like easy.
Tracer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2020, 06:30 AM   #15

As a few others posted, I get to deduct some of my medical from State, so I track all of the old deductions.
But starting in 2021 I'm getting an accountant.
TurboTax almost cost me $250 by taxing DW's NJ pension. This is not taxable until her benefits exhaust her contributions. Yeah, Turbo did have a place to factor this in, but unless I looked for it I could have very easily missed it.
In another year or two I'll be drawing on some of our tax-deferred accounts, and they are a mix of pre and post-tax federal and state. I don't trust Turbo to handle that correctly.
mystang52 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2020, 07:24 AM   #16
Recycles dryer sheets

So if not itemizing can you just use the 1040 ez form from IRS? Why turbo tax if taxes are simple. This will be our last yr also but we've always used the same cpa. He sent out a letter end of Dec saying he was quitting to spend more time on his other businesses. We weren't impressed by his timing so close to filing and asked that he finish out ours as we decided to close out a small business a yr earlier as we didn't want to go find another cpa. Looking forward to very simple tax filings!
Hyper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2020, 08:17 AM   #17

Ditto...also note that under the new rules the number of dependents no longer matter either...as long as you don't need a particular one for a credit.
ncbill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2020, 08:36 AM   #18
Dryer sheet aficionado

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hyper View Post
So if not itemizing can you just use the 1040 ez form from IRS?
There is no 1040-EZ any more, but there are a bunch of free filing options at irs.gov/freefile. I've been filing for years filling out the actual forms online without using turbotax; it's really not that hard.
londo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2020, 08:40 AM   #19

Quote:

Plus 1 for me too!
Old 02-04-2020, 08:46 AM   #20

Quote:

My state requires you to use the same election as your federal tax, and last year I saved more in state taxes than lost in federal by itemizing less than $24K. Though OP is in Texas so state income taxes are not a factor.

"All models are wrong, some are useful." - George Box
There is always a well-known solution to every human problem: neat, plausible, and wrong.” - H.L. Mencken
USGrant1962 is online now   Reply With Quote