Join Early Retirement Today

Fixed Income / Cash Allocation review
Old 05-14-2020, 08:28 AM   #1
Dryer sheet aficionado

Fixed Income / Cash Allocation review

I was hopping I could get some comments on my fixed income allocation. In the past, before retirement, I just kept all of bond exposure in total bond. A few years ago Vanguard had me move into a few other bond funds. I am now second guessing this and have a feeling I should tinker with this. In the past twenty years I have been very good at staying the course although I recently purchased a three year CD because it was a great rate.

So I am thinking should I not have investment grade bond funds OR should I move my intermediate investment grade bond fund into the short term investment grade bond fund OR should I dump both of those into total bond OR should I just leave everything alone.

I maintain a 40% equity allocation. All fixed income except the money market and loyalty checking shown below are in tax sheltered accounts. For the rest of this year we will be living off the money market and loyalty checking accounts. In the next 2-3 years we will be living off our taxable account and then rebalancing in the tax deferred accounts to maintain equity allocation.

Any thoughts? Stay the course or tinker? Thanks in advance for any replies.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg bond review.jpg (60.6 KB, 30 views)
Russ2020 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 05-14-2020, 08:32 AM   #2
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

What problem are you trying to solve?
OldShooter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2020, 08:36 AM   #3
Dryer sheet aficionado

Quote:
Originally Posted by OldShooter View Post
What problem are you trying to solve?
I really have no idea. I hear a lot about corporate bonds becoming a problem. I will have to sell bonds in the coming years to finance retirement. I guess I am just uneasy.
Old 05-14-2020, 08:51 AM   #4
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Russ2020 View Post
I really have no idea. I here a lot about corporate bonds becoming a problem. I will have to sell bonds in them in the coming years to finance retirement. I guess I am just uneasy.
OK. We all feel that way from time to time. First, try to write down your objectives, needs, etc. Maybe do some reading. I like "The Coffee House Investor" by Bill Schultheis (https://www.coffeehouseinvestor.com/) but it does not directly address your bond question. I am not a bond guy but someone will be here soon who can recommend bond books.

Are you sure a 40/60 AA is right for you? At least review that, as the right numbers depend heavily on the total size of your stash, your spending rate, age, estate objectives, etc. There are brain-dead formulas based solely on age. Do not pay any attention to them.

Do not be in a hurry here. You have plenty of time to think and study. You will certainly get some specific recommendations from this group; try to understand and think about them. But if even you do not know what problem you're trying to solve, how can SGOTI really be of any help?
Old 05-14-2020, 08:59 AM   #5
Give me a forum ...

My fixed income is in cash, short term bond index fund, and most in regular bond index fund which is generally of intermediate duration.

I like to have some diversification across durations up to intermediate - a bit like laddering although I rebalance between them.
Old 05-14-2020, 08:59 AM   #6
Dryer sheet aficionado

I have spent a lot of time on the 40/60 allocation. I realize it is conservative. I have spent many hours with Firecalc, I-0rp and Vanguard and 40/60 should be OK. It sure has been nice this last turndown.
Old 05-14-2020, 10:00 AM   #7
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Hi Russ2020,

I determine the blend of my fixed income based on years of need for safer investments. I keep 1 year in rewards checking, 2 years in a short term bond index (VSCSX) and then split the rest(13 years) between VTBLX and VBILX.
Those are both intermediate bond funds with at least 50% government backed
bonds. I don't think there is anything wrong with how you are invested in fixed income, as long as it works for you and you can stick with it.

Best of luck to you,

VW
Old 05-14-2020, 10:07 AM   #8
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Russ2020 View Post
I have spent a lot of time on the 40/60 allocation. I realize it is conservative. I have spent many hours with Firecalc, I-0rp and Vanguard and 40/60 should be OK. It sure has been nice this last turndown.
OK, good. I was not implying anything pro or con, just that it is an important decision that underlies your bond question.
Old 05-14-2020, 10:37 AM   #9
Give me a forum ...

Is the CD an add-on CD? Some, but not many, CDs allow additional deposits at the contract rate.

Retired Jan 2012 at age 56
pb4uski is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2020, 10:56 AM   #10
Dryer sheet aficionado

Quote:
Originally Posted by pb4uski View Post
Is the CD an add-on CD? Some, but not many, CDs allow additional deposits at the contract rate.
No it was the introductory one at NFCU. The limit is $150K. I didn't know if I would get the advertised rate because I had to first open an account and then do an IRA transfer from Vanguard. This took nearly two weeks. In the process the offer went away but we were assured by three different employees we would get that offer.
Old 05-15-2020, 06:51 AM   #11
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Quote:
Originally Posted by audreyh1 View Post
My fixed income is in cash, short term bond index fund, and most in regular bond index fund which is generally of intermediate duration.
Very similar to our approach.

To the OP - the changes you're considering probably won't make much of a difference either way. If you feel you need to do something, I'd get rid of the corporate intermediate and put it either in total bond or VFSUX.
mrfeh is offline   Reply With Quote