Portal Forums Links Register FAQ Community Calendar Log in

Join Early Retirement Today

Food - Cost and Availability
Old 03-14-2014, 01:30 PM   #1
Gone but not forgotten

Catching bits and pieces of news, every day, that have to do with National and International availability and cost of food. Since the information seems to dribble out, it might be well to make note of what may be coming. While Americans spend a small part of their budget on food...like 6%, knowing what to expect in the future, could help understand what and why prices may go up, and on which products.

Here are some empirical observations:

-This AM... news... interview with two of largest CA wine producer owners... 40% of all wines bought in the US come from California. The producers were worried about losing entire fields, despite using water saving techniques.

-40% of US fruit and vegetable come from the drought area in the southwest.Because of lack of water and drought, many farmers have either given up, or decided not to plant or fertilize.

- Meat prices to be affected by reduction in herds because grazing lands were too poor and purchased silage etc was too expensive.

- Milk and milk by-products ... cheeses etc. all affected by fewer dairy herds.

- Shrimp prices and availability are going out of sight, according to a restaurant owner friend. Not sure why.

-Grain exports increasing fastest in decades. Crops were good, but between ethanol and exports, even with a good harvest, could be a price increase. a bad harvest might be real trouble.

-Orange blight in Florida... "greening"... going from south to north..

-Meat and cheese prices? could be a factor in the pricing and viability of the largest Fast Food and Specialty Restaurants. Will the customers pay more for casual meals, and will dining out be affected? MacDonalds, Burger King, Pizza, Steak Houses etc..

-There is great volatility in many short term production prices,like chicken and eggs, based on feed costs and weather.

-Organics ... the rise in popularity will drive up the overall food price (BTW... where did the product come from that represents that big increase in the percent of consumer Organic purchases? Did the farmers just stop using chemical fertilizer? Same with Organic meat?)

-Fish - Regulations about overfishing... Boats going out further - Net laws... pollution.

-Pork prices up 5 to 8% because of PED... disease

-Energy prices... equipment, heat, transportation processing costs up.

Any search for food prices opens up concerns and estimates of a 4 to 6% increase in prices is the norm... and some side issues about health cost increases as fresh fruits and vegetables go out of the reach of poorer families.

Anyway, although this is a doom and gloom post, and won't affect us, here, too much...the trickle down effect can't be good for the economy.

... and to think that this post started out as a warning to buy your wine supply for the next few years, before the prices go up.

Just some things to think about and watch.
imoldernu is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 03-14-2014, 01:49 PM   #2
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

I predict Soylent Green is in our future.
MRG
MRG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2014, 02:08 PM   #3
Gone but not forgotten

Quote:
Originally Posted by MRG View Post
I predict Soylent Green is in our future.
MRG
Great comment!
Friggin' sorry I bothered you... Time for me to take a rest.
Old 03-14-2014, 02:11 PM   #4
Moderator Emeritus

I thought about 85% of the shrimp we buy is from Asia? We can buy it around here for about 1/2 the price of Gulf shrimp. Maybe the the mention of out of sight prices is for Gulf caught?
aja8888 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2014, 02:17 PM   #5
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by imoldernu View Post
Great comment!
Friggin' sorry I bothered you... Time for me to take a rest.
No bother, just my poor attempt at humor.
Warmest regards,
MRG
Old 03-14-2014, 02:21 PM   #6

Food producers have always made a big deal about changes that increase production costs. Remember when sugar went way up in price? The size of candy bars shrunk and the price stayed the same. Then sugar went back to the old levels, do you remember the headlines? No, I didn't think so. And the smaller sized bars became the standard.
sengsational is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2014, 02:25 PM   #7
Give me a forum ...

I have lots of squirrel recipes if anyone wishes for an alternative to soylent green.

- George Orwell

Ezekiel 23:20
brewer12345 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2014, 02:33 PM   #8
Gone but not forgotten

Quote:
Originally Posted by MRG View Post
No bother, just my poor attempt at humor.
Warmest regards,
MRG
Sorry... I apologize... you said nothing wrong.

I'm too old and sensitive. Heat of the moment.

I just enjoy discussions, and hate to see them cut short by one liners or chat room fun, whether it's my subject or not. I usually try to just skip over subjects where I'm not interested or have little to say. Am aware that my posts have been too wordy, and not always germaine to retirement per se. Time to slow down and annoy folks on other forums I guess.
Old 03-14-2014, 02:48 PM   #9
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Sorry... I apologize... you said nothing wrong.

I'm too old and sensitive. Heat of the moment.

I just enjoy discussions, and hate to see them cut short by one liners or chat room fun, whether it's my subject or not. I usually try to just skip over subjects where I'm not interested or have little to say. Am aware that my posts have been too wordy, and not always germaine to retirement per se. Time to slow down and annoy folks on other forums I guess.
No need to for you to apologize. Your one of my favorite posters, I've learned much from you. My reply did appeared flippant.

I shouldn't have posted, I am coming down with some crappy cold or bug. My attention span is too short right now (day quill). Please don't slow down posting here, I thoroughly enjoy all yor posts, and admire your communications skills.

Perhaps I need the nap.
MRG
Old 03-14-2014, 02:49 PM   #10
Moderator Emeritus

People always respond to threads with a mix of pertinent quips, thoughtful posts, and complete non sequiturs, just like in a group of folks at a coffee shop will do. For me, these varied responses always add to the thread, rather than detract from it. The main topic, however, will usually continue.

This was a hard winter for many agricultural endeavors, and food prices have been pretty stable since 2008, so I do expect an increase in prices just because of supply and demand factors. I don't expect we will see shortages, though.
Old 03-14-2014, 02:53 PM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by brewer12345 View Post
I have lots of squirrel recipes if anyone wishes for an alternative to soylent green.
The future is here: https://campaign.soylent.me/soylent-free-your-body
sengsational is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2014, 03:16 PM   #12
Recycles dryer sheets

Thankfully we can all live on a LOT less food than we currently consume....

I've wondered what it would be like to see how LITTLE I could get by on...( without totally sacrificing my health!!!!)...

Actually...my health would be better if I DID cut back.... a lot,...maybe a project for summer? Like many Americans, I eat too much too good!!!!!!

Anyone want to try for the months of April to September?
Lcountz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2014, 03:24 PM   #13
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lcountz View Post

I've wondered what it would be like to see how LITTLE I could get by on...( without totally sacrificing my health!!!!)...

Actually...my health would be better if I DID cut back.... a lot,...maybe a project for summer? Like many Americans, I eat too much too good!!!!!!

No! I have all too few pleasures left in my life. Well, other than shoes!
WhoDaresWins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2014, 04:06 PM   #14
Give me a forum ...

I suppose food prices are going up, but nowhere near as rapidly as they went up in the 1980's! So, to me that is a comfort. Doesn't seem like it should be, but it is. I remember being shocked by food prices every time I went to the store back then. I remember wondering if food prices would ever be the same from one week to the next, and wondering how I was supposed to remember from week to week what a given item should cost. But, also, I remember adjusting my budget, tightening the belt to some extent, and doing just fine in the long run.

As said by the OP,

Quote:
Anyway, although this is a doom and gloom post, and won't affect us, here, too much...the trickle down effect can't be good for the economy.
At the same time, there are so many other influences on the general economy that while increasing food prices may not be helpful, my concern is fairly limited in this regard.

Happily retired since 2009, at age 61. Best years of my life by far!
W2R is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2014, 04:11 PM   #15
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:

I need to and should, but I get so darn hungry! I think I need to start a grilled chicken and asparagus diet again (fruit in the morning).
aja8888 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2014, 04:22 PM   #16
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Quote:
That'd be my top option. Tighten my belt, save money, & lose weight finally. No one is going to accuse me of being obese at 140lbs, ha! (no, not you).

Who are laughing now at Doomsday Preppers? Some of them already have food to last for the next 30 years.
robnplunder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2014, 05:13 PM   #17
Full time employment: Posting here.

I'm amazed by how many year around food choices we have compared to when I was a kid. As a kid I had canned green beans 48 weeks of the year. Rasberries had a short season......true of other fresh foods as well. Today, I can always find green beans and Costo hasn't missed a week in months for fresh rasberries. We fly food into our superarkets from all over the world, it seems. Now, I don't want to say food is cheap but I believe it is compared to our countries. I really feel lucky compared to food availability and pricing 55 years ago when I was just starting to grow up. If food prices go up next year I'm not worrying about it but I do feel bad for those on a tight budget. I won't lose weight because I lack food......I may lose weight because of the availability of so many fresh fruits and vegetables that keep me healthy as I age.
jerome len is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2014, 07:42 PM   #18
Full time employment: Posting here.

Quote:
Originally Posted by brewer12345 View Post
Maybe I'd get some squirrel recipes from you if I could find some 22 ammo in the stores. Now-a-days I can't even go hunting for food because I can't get the ammo. I think it's some sort of conspiracy.
Old 03-14-2014, 08:59 PM   #19
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tom52 View Post
Maybe I'd get some squirrel recipes from you if I could find some 22 ammo in the stores. Now-a-days I can't even go hunting for food because I can't get the ammo. I think it's some sort of conspiracy.
Shotgun works just fine and the shells seem to be both readily available and reloadable. Ditto for a pellet gun. Heck, a rat trap works in a pinch.

Yes, I am a redneck Appalachian-American.

- George Orwell

Ezekiel 23:20
brewer12345 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2014, 11:13 PM   #20
Give me a forum ...

Quote:

I have to say that I completely agree with this. I used to eat an entire restaurant meal with no leftovers. Then I used to eat half and take the rest home for another meal. Nowadays, I eat some and take the rest home for 3 more meals.
LOL! is offline   Reply With Quote