Foodstamps - live on $176 a month - UPDATE

tmm99

Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso) Give me a forum ...
Blog: Living on Food Stamps - CNN.com

There are some updates to the blog now. This guy is actually getting a hang of it and doing pretty good. I find the blog interesting - he is talking to a lot of people who are struggling on a tighter budget and meeting people and hearing their stories.

tmm

Last edited by a moderator:
I spend $100-115/month on groceries. I also buy about $10/month of loose tea. Balanced, healthy diet. I would have to start eating steak every few days to get up to $175/month.

I need to get a rice-maker at some point, want to try making chicken fried rice, since I love the stuff.

It was interesting to read that 1 out of 6 people in Louisiana use food stamps-- disturbing at how many are in dire straits there.

It was interesting to read that 1 out of 6 people in Louisiana use food stamps-- disturbing at how many are in dire straits there.

Having been traveling in Louisiana for a week now, I can tell you, it is disturbing to see also. The last three Hurricanes have made a real mess of people's lifes.

It would be interesting to know what the food stamp use in Louisiana was before Katrina. I'll bet not much different. You would think Louisiana would have near 100% employment with all the repairs and clean up that is being done.

Also interesting to read on the OP blog that the guy, at 220 lbs. and a runner, hasn't lost (or gained) any weight since living on this budget--I'm impressed that he's getting enough calories for his buck.

Reactions: W2R
Also interesting to read on the OP blog that the guy, at 220 lbs. and a runner, hasn't lost (or gained) any weight since living on this budget--I'm impressed that he's getting enough calories for his buck.

A poor person's diet has lots of carbs.

It would be interesting to know what the food stamp use in Louisiana was before Katrina. I'll bet not much different.

9/2003: 675,439
8/2005: Katrina
9/2007: 664,034
9/2008: 2,217,997 (Ike?)

Source: SNAP .gov site

I've been living at or below the food stamp budget for some time. In 2008, I spent $1995 for food. A considerable fraction of this was junk food (candy, cookies, chips, fast food, soda).

I decided to be on a more robust budget for 2009. One objective is to spend less than $1000 for food ($83/month, $2.74/day). This should not be a problem as long as I limit my junk food. I was on track for January, although I've been spending a little hot in February. Too much candy ($3 yesterday at Walmart). The 12 pack of soda didn't help either.

It's difficult for me to comprehend those who associate food stamps with deprivation. Personally, I feel like I live like a king.

It would be interesting to know what the food stamp use in Louisiana was before Katrina. I'll bet not much different. You would think Louisiana would have near 100% employment with all the repairs and clean up that is being done.

You may be correct. I would be interesting in what you discover.

FWIW, I am looking, for example, the loss of about 25% of the Helicopters that shuttle folks out to the oil rigs. One company (Petroleum Helicopters, Inc. -- PHI) is down to about 300 birds. Quite a number of companies are still not up and operating at all. I don't know what Helicopter pilots are paid but I bet it is not too bad and that is missing from the economy. And all the shrimp boats that are upside down inland or just sitting at the dock because the shrimp are gone. And just think of the support people for those industries... Yeah, none of them are considering Food Stamps.

Back
Top Bottom