Portal Forums Links Register FAQ Community Calendar Log in

Join Early Retirement Today

Old 11-22-2020, 10:28 AM   #81
Recycles dryer sheets

VTSAX - Vanguard Total Stock Market Index

In my opinion, that's all you need. A "Keep It Simple" strategy.
HawaiiShrimp is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 11-22-2020, 05:00 PM   #82
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by HawaiiShrimp View Post

Now, that IS simple!

Probably a good choice for equities but do you balance with bond fund(s) or cash-like products? Not quibbling, just curious. I'm more like 30% equities and have less gains to show, but still way ahead of the game after 15 years FIRE. I guess if you are young with a long time to FIRE, an all-in bet will eventually pay off in the stock market, so... YMMV

Anything which can be used can be misused. Anything which can be misused will be.
Koolau is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2020, 05:05 PM   #83
Recycles dryer sheets

Currently using all ETF’s and also own a couple stocks.
46%VTI
12% UTG
12%PGX
10%BIV
10%MSFT
10%AAPL

Has worked well for me. Pension and SS provide living expenses.
gwix98 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2020, 07:43 PM   #84
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Quote:

I totally agree with this. I also note that it won't get you from $11M to $30M in 10 years.
Out-to-Lunch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2020, 09:31 PM   #85
Recycles dryer sheets

Quote:
Originally Posted by Out-to-Lunch View Post
I totally agree with this. I also note that it won't get you from $11M to $30M in 10 years.
Absolutely true. VTSAX is a relatively safe investment. I used to go 100% in VTSAX. Sleep tight at night. Higher risk = High return. I am sure you know what I mean.
Old 11-22-2020, 09:38 PM   #86

Quote:
Absolutely true. VTSAX is a relatively safe investment. I used to go 100% in VTSAX. Sleep tight at night. Higher risk = High return. I am sure you know what I mean.

Yup. You do you, and I will do me. Carry on!
Out-to-Lunch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2020, 09:49 PM   #87
Recycles dryer sheets

Quote:
Originally Posted by Koolau View Post
Now, that IS simple!

Probably a good choice for equities but do you balance with bond fund(s) or cash-like products? Not quibbling, just curious. I'm more like 30% equities and have less gains to show, but still way ahead of the game after 15 years FIRE. I guess if you are young with a long time to FIRE, an all-in bet will eventually pay off in the stock market, so... YMMV
I follow Jim Collins' advice on this one: https://youtu.be/eikbQPldhPY (If you want to smooth the ride)

If buying some bond funds make you sleep better at night, go for it. For me, bond funds keep me up at night 'cos it's not putting my money to work in the most efficient way; I go 100% stocks.

When it comes to bonds, I don't like owning it. My investment philosophy closely resembles Peter Lynch's approach: Buy good companies that I understand. You can listen to him here about mixing Stocks & Bonds @29:10 onward:

Best regards.
Old 12-14-2020, 06:18 AM   #88
Recycles dryer sheets

Self manager here. Retired age 56. With each job I worked since 22 years ago, I would invest in the top 2 most aggressive performing funds available to me in my 401k. I would go by the highest 10 yr return %. I have four 401ks from 4 different jobs an IRA and an individual stock account. A few of the better performing funds this year are:

FXAIX Fid 500 INDEX F 15.39% YTD

TRLGX T ROWE PRICE Large cap gr 36% YTD

VHCAX VANGUARD cap opp adm 20%YTD

VINIX VANGUARD mkt ind 15.53 YTD

VIEIX VANGUARD ext mkt 28.64%

My individual stock fund YTD :
Realized Gain: 10.33%

Unrealized Gain: 555%
Blue531 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2020, 07:08 AM   #89
Full time employment: Posting here.

Blue,

What a wonderful job you have done, Great Discipline of saving & investing regularly !!
rkser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2020, 07:12 AM   #90
Recycles dryer sheets

To Rkser: Thank you so much for your encouragement and support! I am both proud and humbled. Mostly amazed, though, at how I got here so fast.
Blue531 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2020, 08:37 AM   #91
Full time employment: Posting here.

Quote:
Originally Posted by albireo13 View Post
This is a followup of another thread I started last year ... "How many totally manage their own nest egg??"

For those who self-manage (do not use a FA service at all), what funds (or other investments) do you have your retirement nest egg invested in?

I am curious since, Vanguard and Fidelity Index funds seem to be highly popular. I am also curious about which index funds folks pick, and why.

Thanks.

In my 401k I use a global balanced fund of indexes run by my employer.

In my taxable brokerage account I use the ETF WisdomTree US High Yield (DHS). Its not perfect but it hits all my requirements, like paying monthly, which is hard to find.

I have around $600k in it, which should generate around $24k div income this year. Over the last decade the div growth averaged out to around 9% per year.

Once the div income reaches $30k I will be essentially financially independent.
ESRwannabe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2020, 08:57 AM   #92

Quote:
If buying some bond funds make you sleep better at night, go for it. For me, bond funds keep me up at night 'cos it's not putting my money to work in the most efficient way; I go 100% stocks.
100% stocks might be OK if you're in your 20's or 30's, as you will come out ahead in the long run. However, if you're nearing retirement you probably wouldn't want to lose 50% of your portfolio during a downturn.

As an example, compare a 100% VTSAX, vs a 60% VTSAX/40% VBTLX, vs a single fund VBIAX over the last 18 years:

https://www.portfoliovisualizer.com/...ocation3_3=100

You may come out ahead in the end, but I sure don't have the stomach for that kind of volatility.

Compare your 100% VTSAX with a 50% VFIAX/50% VUSTX blend. Nearly the same end result, but a lot smoother ride:

https://www.portfoliovisualizer.com/...location4_2=50

Of course, past results don't guarantee future returns...
mountainsoft is offline   Reply With Quote
Self Managed Portfolio
Old 12-14-2020, 09:17 AM   #93
Recycles dryer sheets

Self Managed Portfolio

VDIGX Dividend Growth 22%
VSCGX Lifetime Conservative Growth 34%
VGSTX Star Fund 24%
VSMGX Lifetime Moderate Growth 20%

Just about 60/40
15% International Stocks and Bonds in this mix of funds
jpjr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2020, 09:39 AM   #94
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by mountainsoft View Post
... However, if you're nearing retirement you probably wouldn't want to lose 50% of your portfolio during a downturn ...
This is just a ghost story. Historically all downturns have been followed by recoveries. The only way an investor could lose 50% of a portfolio in a 50% downturn is to panic and sell everything. The real risk is SORR (not volatility) which might involve selling a fraction of a portfolio into a down market, but SORR is relatively easy to mitigate with a few years' burn rate in fixed income or cash. Obviously @HawaiiShrimp has made the judgment that FOMO is a bigger concern than SORR. His money, his judgment. Fine with me.

We are 73YO with AA 75/25 and our risk in actually losing 50% of our equity portfolio is IMO zero.

If I was a really good graphic artist I would create a cartoon blackboard with the sentence "Volatility is not risk." written 100 times.