Join Early Retirement Today

Forever ETF
Old 07-24-2014, 05:57 PM   #1
gone traveling

Forever ETF

Which non-standard ETF would you recommend me to buy. I am mean buy and hold forever.

I am not interested in classic S&P 500, MSCI All Word index, Wilshire 5000.
Those are standard forever holds.

I am interested in something more special For example VIG, MOAT...

Why would you recommend this ETF?
eta2020 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 07-24-2014, 09:01 PM   #2
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

What's your asset allocation?
No doubt a continuous prosperity, though spendthrift, is preferable to an economy thriftily moral, though lean. Nevertheless, that prosperity would seem more soundly shored if, by a saving grace, more of us had the grace to save.

Life Magazine editorial, 1956
Htown Harry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2014, 03:41 AM   #3
gone traveling

Quote:
Originally Posted by Htown Harry View Post
What's your asset allocation?

Almost 100% equity index funds or equity ETFs with 60/40 balance of domestic/international. I am interested in equity ETF.
Old 07-25-2014, 05:45 AM   #4

I have a bunch of IVW and some standards of QQQ, IVV and IVM.

Anytime you get outside of a norm, you pay more in expenses and might not beat the market. There are health care ETF options and precious metals options too.
FIRE no later than 7/5/2016 at 56 (done), securing '16 401K match (done), getting '15 401K match (done), LTI Bonus (done), Perf bonus (done), maxing out 401K (done), picking up 1,000 hours to get another year of pension (done), July 1st benefits (vacation day, healthcare) (done), July 4th holiday. 0 days left. (done) OFFICIALLY RETIRED 7/5/2016!!
Senator is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2014, 05:49 AM   #5

One DIY approach to consider...

Fama and French's research in the 1990's demonstrated the historical benefits of a small and value tilt. The DFA fund family (8th largest +/-) was built around their principles. Swedroe and other serious investors are believers.

Their funds are only available through advisors, though.

This article is one of several I found that suggests the DIY portfolio manager can replicate their approach without the advisor wrap fees.
Replicating a Dimensional Funds Portfolio | Seeking Alpha
Quote:
Once I found the portfolio, I used Morningstar to determine each of the DFA funds holdings and began comparing those with ETFs in the respective asset class. For almost each fund, I was able to find a comparable ETF that had similar holdings, expenses and performance.
In your case, you might look at DGEIX, a 100% equity fund with a 35% international allocation (including 10% emerging markets). 45% of their holdings are in medium, small or micro stocks.
http://portfolios.morningstar.com/fund/summary?t=DGEIX®ion=usa&culture=en-US

One potential downside to this and similar approaches is that it could result in a stack small-slice, specialized portfolios, which even as ETFs tend to have higher management fees than funds built on more broadly-diversified benchmarks.
No doubt a continuous prosperity, though spendthrift, is preferable to an economy thriftily moral, though lean. Nevertheless, that prosperity would seem more soundly shored if, by a saving grace, more of us had the grace to save.

Life Magazine editorial, 1956
Htown Harry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2014, 08:37 AM   #6
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

One could construct a simple ETF portfolio with different percentages of these:
VTI - total US stock market index
VBR - US small-cap value index
VXUS - total int'l stock market index
VSS - foreign small-cap index
BND - total US bond index
VCSH - US short-term corporate bond index

One would really not need any other ETFs.

As for buy-and-hold, that something one should never do. Instead one should buy, hold, and rebalance.

For this thread, I would guess that VBR, VSS, and VCSH might be called non-standard. There are other non-standard ETFs such as VNQ, DGS, or even VWO which I would not recommend unless one was willing to trade them occasionally.

Why? VBR and VSS take advantage of the small-cap and value premiums. Everybody needs to overweight these asset classes. VNQ is REIT which is less correlated to other asset classes. DGS is another small-cap story, but in emerging markets. VWO is large-cap emerging markets. These latter 3 are so volatile that if one doesn't buy low, sell high in rebalancing moves that one would lose all benefits of owning them.
LOL! is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2014, 10:38 AM   #7

Here's some ETF's I use as permanent portions of my AA:

FRN - frontier markets (FM is an alternative)
DEM - EM value
DGS - EM small cap
DLS - International small value
RWX - international REIT
VNQ - domestic REIT

Part of a full slice and dice portfolio, but they could be used to spice up a simpler portfolio.
Animorph is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2014, 05:57 AM   #8
Give me a forum ...

VIG looks interesting for US equities. I own a little. I would have to take a long look before considering it as my one-and-only, though.
Old 07-26-2014, 06:03 AM   #9
gone traveling

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ed_The_Gypsy View Post
VIG looks interesting for US equities. I own a little. I would have to take a long look before considering it as my one-and-only, though.
Yes I consider VIG and SCHD in class of not standard ETFs but in class of "Forever ETF".

Fees comparable to cheapest S&P 500.
High Quality Companies kinda Warren Bufett Wide Moat.
In my mind I call them collections of "American Rembrandts" though both indexes contain a bit of junk as well.
Old 07-26-2014, 09:07 AM   #10

While the fees may be higher than you desire I am a huge fan of the SDOG ETF. Divides the S&P 500 into 10 industries and takes the 5 highest yielding stocks of each industry group. You end up with in general large value stocks in a diversified index without becoming overly concentrated in one market segment.

https://www.early-retirement.org/forums/f44/why-i-believe-we-are-about-to-embark-on-a-historic-bull-market-run-101268.html
Running_Man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2014, 09:38 AM   #11
Give me a forum ...

Running man, think we've talked about SDOG before, some of your enthusiasm rubbed off. I have become a fan even with the ER. It's done very well for me. I've also gotten in to IDOG, very happy with dividends ytd. Thanks for bringing SDOG up in prior threads.
MRG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2014, 10:57 AM   #12
Give me a forum ...

I have been revaluating my Oakmark Global Select (OAKWX) residing in a Roth. SDOG, and particularly IDOG, are very interesting. OAKWX has a high % of financials while IDOG holdings are very diversified. Any thoughts folks?
Old 07-26-2014, 02:49 PM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by eta2020 View Post
Yes I consider VIG and SCHD in class of not standard ETFs but in class of "Forever ETF".

Fees comparable to cheapest S&P 500.
High Quality Companies kinda Warren Bufett Wide Moat.
In my mind I call them collections of "American Rembrandts" though both indexes contain a bit of junk as well.

Both VIG SCHD focus on dividends of large/giant market cap companies, and I think are US only. Historically, the smaller cap value companies have outperformed, and I'd want to include nonUS companies in a forever portfolio.

I've just started following a recently introduced value oriented fund run by Meb Faber of Cambria, GVAL. It's 57% large cap, 32% mid, 12% small, and is invested in 25 different countries. Total expense is 0.69%.

http://www.cambriafunds.com/assets/p...-FactSheet.pdf

Sent from my iPad using Early Retirement Forum