Found Money Revisited

imoldernu

Gone but not forgotten
We've covered this before, but for the newer folk, a possibility to recover money that may be due to you.
Each State has a "Found Money" Department that has records on many hundreds of millions of dollars that are owed, but for whatever reason, was never delivered. Might be worth a half hour or so, to check in any state where you've lived. Could be a check that arrived after you moved, with no forwarding address, or any number of things like the one that worked for me.

There are many websites that will show up in a Google search for "Found Money". You can get the website for any states', "Unclaimed money Department". (be sure it's all free)

Could be something you may not even know about,... as it was for me.

I put my name in for a search in the State of Rhode Island, and came up with some dollars that originally came from a tiny $500 insurance Policy that my folks took out for me in the 1930's, probably when I was born. Anyway, my name came up, and I filed for the money that I never knew about.

Not a million dollars, but this check came in for me several days ago.

Attachments

• Found - Copy.jpg
    Found - Copy.jpg
    37.1 KB · Views: 89
I check these every so often. Found about $7k for MIL from an old insurance policy. Found a few hundred for my brother, as well.

Good reminder to check every year or so.

Yeah, Pops has a check for 4 dollars and fifty cents with at the California office.

Not worth the bother.

For fun I checked. Nothing for me, but possible something for my daughter - she filed the claim. Also found possibility for my cousin, so I let him know.

Thanks, IMOLDERNU! I just checked and found $3K for my wife from her college days in a previous state!

Holy Cow, thanks for the reminder! I had sworn I had checked these sites earlier, but I just found a notice for my FIL, who passed in 2014 (and I was a co-executor, co-trustee). Apparently, a CD was in an account that never made it to their newer address when they moved to Assisted living ~ 10 years ago. $16,000!

I just filled out the forms, will get them notarized and mailed tomorrow, along with documentation.

We still have a checking account open for my MIL's estate, she passed earlier this year, so I can deposit it there, and distribute it to the beneficiaries when everything else has settled.

-ERD50

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom