Join Early Retirement Today

Old 10-31-2016, 07:09 AM   #41
Recycles dryer sheets

Hey scrabbler wanted to drop by and say congratulations to your successful ongoing retirement! Thanks for posting, it led me back to the gem below that I posted. I'm now 46, and firmly entrenched in the OMY dance...

Hope to join you soon, maybe 3 or 4 more years I'm thinking...

sigh...

OK, back to you, Congrats!!!

Pan

Quote:
Originally Posted by panhead View Post
Congrats Scrabbler, glad it's been all you hoped it would be! As I've said before I'm a few years younger than you, but I'm looking at the same FIRE age (45), which is why I always pay extra attention to your posts <grin>
When you walk in the shadow of insanity, the presence of another mind that thinks and acts as yours does is something close to a blessed event. -Robert Pirsig, Zen and the Art of Motorcycle Maintenance
panhead is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 10-31-2016, 07:47 AM   #42
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Hey Scabbler, you were a young buck when you er'd and at this rate it won't be long and you can join the old fartz club
Old 11-02-2016, 04:23 PM   #43
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Scrabbler, your success is amazing. I have followed your retirement story and it has always interested me. You have given me a few ideas but I have always been one to do my own thing. Much continued success in the future for you.

The first rule of compounding: Never interupt it unnecessarily. Charlie Munger
UnrealizedPotential is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2016, 11:45 PM   #44

Quote:
Originally Posted by scrabbler1 View Post
While Halloween may be "Trick or Treat" for everyone, it is only a treat for me. It was on this day 4 years ago that I began my Early Retirement. I left the office for the last time on this day and took my last commute home.

With the aftermath of Sandy still very much around this week, I am soooooo glad I don't have to deal with any of that stuff any more. And with today being the last weekday of the month, I will soon enjoy my next payday, the monthly dividends from my bond fund to more than cover the next month's expenses. It is so much more enjoyable having my money work for me than for me to work for my money.

Looking forward to many more years of ER including many more spent on this great forum!
In 3 more years (I am one year into ER), I want to be able to say the same. Like you, I am enjoying my ER every day.
Old 10-31-2017, 06:03 AM   #45
Give me a forum ...

Today marks the end of my 9th year and start of my 10th year of early retirement.

As with the end of each month since I ERed, I receive monthly dividends from my main bond fund to pay my expenses. As I have mentioned in some other threads, I discovered that I will be going off the ACA subsidy cliff after learning about an unusually large cap gains distribution coming in late December.

I continue dealing with health issues including the diabetes I was diagnosed with 2 years ago and some collateral issues stemming from another ailment at the same time. Nothing big there, as the docs have it under control. One thing, as I have written above, is that being retired enables me to devote as much time and effort needed to maintain decent health, mostly from being able to visit doctors as needed.

And finally, as my screen name suggests, I'll be doing some school Scrabble volunteer work today, visiting a local school to complete a 2-part seminar I began last week. I have been involved in this stuff since 2001 when I semi-retired and had the time to do this volunteer work.
Retired in late 2008 at age 45. Cashed in company stock, bought a lot of shares in a big bond fund and am living nicely off its dividends. IRA, SS, and a pension await me at age 60 and later. No kids, no debts.

"I want my money working for me instead of me working for my money!"
scrabbler1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2017, 09:30 AM   #46
Recycles dryer sheets

Congrats!
whatnot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2017, 12:04 PM   #47
Full time employment: Posting here.

Congrats to you and may I pile on? Four years and six months for me, the best years of my life!
Old 10-31-2017, 01:26 PM   #48

congratulations, and 10 yrs will be quite the milestone. I'm only at just under 2yrs myself. And yes having control of one's time is perhaps the best part of it all. I'm technically obese myself in terms of BMI (do wonder how muscle mass may throw off that measurement since i do weight training and am relatively strong for my age/gender), so the diabetes risk is something the drs routinely warn me about. This is why I've started (3 wks in so far) on no added sugar and low carb. Does make me feel much more energetic and less brain fog. Just a thought if you are not using diet already to manage the diabetes YMMV.
mamadogmamacat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2017, 04:36 AM   #49

Congratulations Scrabbler1! That must be a great feeling to have worked so hard to achieve something and have it come to pass...
WestUniversity is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2018, 07:46 AM   #50
Give me a forum ...

Today is the long-awaited 10-year anniversary of my early retirement. It was 10 years ago today that I made my last commute, the long, awful one from LI to Jersey City, New Jersey on the LIRR and PATH trains. Halloween may be Trick or Treat for most people, but it all Treat for me!

Life is good...……
Retired in late 2008 at age 45. Cashed in company stock, bought a lot of shares in a big bond fund and am living nicely off its dividends. IRA, SS, and a pension await me at age 60 and later. No kids, no debts.

Old 10-31-2018, 08:19 AM   #51
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Today is the long-awaited 10-year anniversary of my early retirement. It was 10 years ago today that I made my last commute, the long, awful one from LI to Jersey City, New Jersey on the LIRR and PATH trains. Halloween may be Trick or Treat for most people, but it all Treat for me!

Wonderful...
I agree with those memorable thoughts about the commute. Like yesterday.
Now the bright look ahead to 40 more years of doing all those things that you ever wanted, without angst. They call it living the dream. I'll join you with the beginning of my own 31st year of retirement, on November first.

Used to be that the 10th anniversary was celebrated with a gift of tin or aluminum... The modern approved gift is a diamond. Afraid you'll have to settle for best wishes for happiness in the coming decades.

regards,
bob
Old 10-31-2018, 09:46 AM   #52

Congrats to you! It's fun to hear those that 'jumped' before us are loving life.

I'm just two months in, and am feeling the layers of stress vanish daily. I can't imagine how much better I'll feel in 3 years & 10 months!

Old men and women sit in the shade of trees they planted long ago
SumDay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2018, 10:05 AM   #53

Congrats on 10 years of freedom!
Old 10-31-2018, 10:16 AM   #54

Fantastic and congratulations! I'm getting very close to the 4 year point and I cannot believe how quickly it has gone by. It's really quite scary!
Old 10-31-2018, 10:33 AM   #55
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:

Life is good...……
Congratulations!!!!

Nine days from today will be the 9-year-anniversary of my retirement. It hardly seems possible that it has been 9 years already. It's been the best 9 years of my life.
Old 10-31-2018, 10:34 AM   #56

Congratulations on your 10 year anniversary!
Whenever I read or hear of someone’s commute I think of your descriptions of how miserable your commute was.
Old 10-31-2018, 04:56 PM   #57
Give me a forum ...

Thanks for all your kind words.

As a nice touch at the end of the day, I find out what my monthly dividend is in my big bond fund, the one which provides me with most of the money I get to pay my bills. So I get money without having to do anything, my kind of money-making!

Old 10-31-2018, 09:58 PM   #58

Congrats. I always find your investment posts of value (but then we are sympatico on investment strategy).

3.5 years for me, and it seems like just yesterday I semi-retired!
RobLJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2018, 01:25 PM   #59

Quote:
Thanks for all your kind words.

As a nice touch at the end of the day, I find out what my monthly dividend is in my big bond fund, the one which provides me with most of the money I get to pay my bills. So I get money without having to do anything, my kind of money-making!
Congratulations!

Your courage to take that leap gives me courage.

And as an aside, today I received the my first pension payment covering last month and this month. I initiated the paper work too late to get it on Oct 1. I decided to take it at the earliest opportunity.
It's $208/month. Enough to cover subsidized ACA insurance.

broadway is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2018, 02:01 PM   #60
Recycles dryer sheets

CONGRATULATIONS!!!! I too am celebrating my retirement. I retired exactly five years ago today!!!! I love being unemployed!!!!
griffithee is offline   Reply With Quote