Join Early Retirement Today

Free Coffee
Old 12-29-2014, 02:45 PM   #1
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Location: South Texas~29N/98W Just West of Woman Hollering Creek
Free Coffee

Though DW and I have plenty of investments and monthly income streams that pretty-much pay all of the bills, I can not avoid getting involved with free offers.

A local store offers free coffee/soda every Monday to anyone with a military ID. We have plenty of coffee in the house. We have a coffee maker that takes 1 minute to brew a cup of Joe, yet each and every Monday AM I drive over to the store (a few blocks, I should walk) and get my free extra large coffee.

It must be a hard-wiring deal with me because all of the logical reasons to stop this weekly effort (reference above) seem to be irrelevant to me.

My logic: if it makes me a bit happy to get free coffee, why not?

Outside of a dog, a book is man's best friend. Inside of a dog, it's too dark to read. Groucho Marx

In dire need of: faster horses, younger woman, older whiskey, more money.
mickeyd is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 12-29-2014, 02:53 PM   #2
Give me a forum ...

Sure - if it's good, and yes, you should walk
Old 12-29-2014, 02:56 PM   #3
Give me a forum ...

If you walk, and get there Wednesday, I will buy you a cup...
target2019 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2014, 03:24 PM   #4
Recycles dryer sheets

Is it still free if you are using gas and and consider wear and tear on the car?

user5027 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2014, 08:05 PM   #5
Recycles dryer sheets

I always have time for "free," and it sounds like you do too. We have racetrac gas stations where I live and they offer free items with a survey on every receipt. Lots of free coffees, sodas, and donuts. I think these are the types of behaviors that make millionaires next door.

Sent from my iPad using Early Retirement Forum
Legally_dead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2014, 08:17 PM   #6
Give me a forum ...

I'm the same way to a certain extent. I'd drive a minute or two to get some free coffee (or more likely walk the 5-7 minutes). We have a starbucks about that far away and I'll run down there occasionally if they are offering something free (or to redeem my free b-day rewards). Although I won't cross the 10 lane road to get free coffee from the McDonald's across from the starbucks.
Old 12-29-2014, 09:45 PM   #7
Give me a forum ...

I am not big on free anything. Does not matter if it is free coffee at McDonalds or free samples at Costco. Does not do anything for me.
brett is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2014, 09:56 PM   #8
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

The main reason why I buy mostly from Ebay is to avoid driving to buy a single, small item. I have been saving gas money that way. I will not drive to get a free anything unless it's at least worth more than my time & gas.
robnplunder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2014, 10:01 PM   #9
Recycles dryer sheets

I once knocked my side mirror off my car backing out of the garage. I was in a hurry to get free donuts. Those were the most expensive donuts I've ever had.

Sent from my iPad using Early Retirement Forum
Legally_dead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2014, 10:06 PM   #10
Give me a forum ...

Location: Spending the Kids Inheritance and living in Chicago
Free is always good, but I would calculate out the cost as 30 cents per mile for your car and see if its still such a good thing. Considering home brewed coffee costs about 10 cents a cup.
Sometimes its still worth it.
Like when LL Bean gave me a $10 coupon and free shipping, I found a flashlight on their site that with tax cost about 65 cents to be delivered to my door.
Very definitely worth it.
Sunset is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2014, 10:15 PM   #11
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sunset View Post
Free is always good, but I would calculate out the cost as 30 cents per mile for your car and see if its still such a good thing. Considering home brewed coffee costs about 10 cents a cup.
Sometimes its still worth it.
That's why I won't drive 1.5 miles up the road to get free coffee or free soda at Sheetz. I figure it costs around $0.50 or $0.60 plus my time. Now I might spend an hour to walk up there and back if the weather is nice and enjoy the coffee on the way back (and make a pit stop at the rec center or library!).
Old 12-29-2014, 10:26 PM   #12
Give me a forum ...

I would not drive a few blocks for free coffee. It would take more to entice me. However, the OP may just enjoy this chance to get out of the house, and it has become a habit. So, it costs more for gas than what the coffee is worth, but looking at it as a leisure activity then it is really cheap.

People all have different routines that they do. My mother would drive to the grocery stores to get just a few things, and she does it on a daily basis although she eats little. The cost of gas is not what I worry about, but it's her exposure to traffic and her deteriorating driving skills. Else, it's cheap leisure activity for her.

"Those Who Can Make You Believe Absurdities Can Make You Commit Atrocities" - Voltaire (1694-1778)
NW-Bound is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2014, 03:36 PM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by mickeyd View Post
My logic: if it makes me a bit happy to get free coffee, why not?
Your logic agrees with mine: It's all about happiness. Besides, you might meet like-minded people on your trek one day and start a lifetime friendship. If, otoh, seeking the free thing takes you away from something that makes you happy, well, the solution is obvious.
sengsational is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2014, 03:42 PM   #14

Sure, staying home and brewing one's own coffee is no doubt cheaper. But I like to go out, especially for breakfast. So, if I'll be out anyway I may as well go for that free coffee.
mystang52 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2014, 04:05 PM   #15

Am I the only one who opened this thread hoping to find a link to get free coffee by mail (or at a national chain.)

Free is my favorite price. Cheap or on sale are my second favorite prices.
Old 12-30-2014, 04:16 PM   #16
Give me a forum ...

A lot of people mock the $2 coffee. But, it can be one of the least expensive ways to get out of the house and socialize. Compared to other leisure activities, it's cheap

The worst decisions are usually made in times of anger and impatience.
Chuckanut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2014, 04:29 PM   #17

It's the hunt, not the meat.
robnplunder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2014, 04:34 PM   #18

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chuckanut View Post
A lot of people mock the $2 coffee. But, it can be one of the least expensive ways to get out of the house and socialize. Compared to other leisure activities, it's cheap
When I was down in Garden City, SC, there was a group of guys that drank coffee at McDonalds every morning. Yeah, they were over there yucking it up. They invited me to join in, but alas, back then I was simply free-loading on wifi for w*rk. But yeah, if you can get out of the house and all it costs you is a cup of coffee, you're getting a deal!
sengsational is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2014, 05:34 PM   #19

Walk/drive it gets you out. There's already one Hermit on this forum; we don't need another. Do you get free cream and sugar too? You can be frugal and save the cup they give you to use at home!
splitwdw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2014, 05:45 PM   #20

Quote:
Originally Posted by splitwdw View Post
Walk/drive it gets you out. There's already one Hermit on this forum; we don't need another. Do you get free cream and sugar too? You can be frugal and save the cup they give you to use at home!
You laugh... but DH actually rinses and reuses the cardboard *$'s cups that make it back to our house. That way he can take home-brewed coffee "to go" and not have to worry when he tosses the cup.