Portal Forums Links Register FAQ Community Calendar Log in

Join Early Retirement Today

Free Credit Score from WSJ article
Old 06-08-2009, 01:06 PM   #1
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Free Credit Score from WSJ article

Today's WSJ has a piece from Shelly Banjo that includes a link to a site that offers free credit scores for those willing to sign up.
The Best Online Tools for Personal Finance - WSJ.com

The website is called creditkarma.com and I checked it out. Interesting and accurate for my score (at least from the last time I checked). I check my credit report several times a year, but don't pay for the score feature.

Sarah in SC is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 06-08-2009, 02:35 PM   #2
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Yeah I just did it. Pretty much right on. Thanks for the link!
Notmuchlonger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2009, 03:09 PM   #3
Give me a forum ...

from the article...
You don’t have to give the site your credit-card information, as you do with a traditional credit bureau. But CreditKarma, from San Francisco-based Credit Karma Inc., will ask you for your address, phone number and Social Security number. (The site says it doesn’t store the number.)

Um...um...please be careful, folks.
My phishing siren just went off.
I tend to be ultra careful with stuff like this.
Old 06-08-2009, 03:32 PM   #4
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by freebird5825 View Post
Your caution is noted and very wise, but this one is legitimate. It's been featured in several prominent financial publications and partners with TransUnion, which is one of the three major credit bureaus.

Having said that, yes -- people should be extremely cautious about this sort of thing until they've done all the due diligence required to convince them of its legitimacy. And I'm pretty sure the Wall Street Journal, of all places, isn't going to be printing an article promoting a service that's a scam and a hideout for "identity thieves."
"Hey, for every ten dollars, that's another hour that I have to be in the work place. That's an hour of my life. And my life is a very finite thing. I have only 'x' number of hours left before I'm dead. So how do I want to use these hours of my life? Do I want to use them just spending it on more crap and more stuff, or do I want to start getting a handle on it and using my life more intelligently?" -- Joe Dominguez (1938 - 1997)
ziggy29 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2009, 03:53 PM   #5
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by ziggy29 View Post
Your caution is noted and very wise, but this one is legitimate. It's been featured in several prominent financial publications and partners with TransUnion, which is one of the three major credit bureaus.

Having said that, yes -- people should be extremely cautious about this sort of thing until they've done all the due diligence required to convince them of its legitimacy. And I'm pretty sure the Wall Street Journal, of all places, isn't going to be printing an article promoting a service that's a scam and a hideout for "identity thieves."
Good deal. Now I know this is a green light.
I did go to the web site, and looked under partners. I didn't see any listed, which surprised me.
WSJ is very reputable, agreed.
Old 06-08-2009, 04:12 PM   #6

Quote:
Good deal. Now I know this is a green light.
I did go to the web site, and looked under partners. I didn't see any listed, which surprised me.
WSJ is very reputable, agreed.

I agree they seem to be legit although the 2nd link indicates the score may not be 100% accurate.

Credit Karma Launches U.S. Consumer Credit Score Climate Report | Reuters

Credit Scores from Credit Karma are Deflated | Personal Finance Start-Up Blog
Old 06-08-2009, 04:22 PM   #7
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bikerdude View Post
I agree they seem to be legit although the 2nd link indicates the score may not be 100% accurate.
They don't use FICO. They use a proprietary scoring system developed by TransUnion.

Other than when your application for credit is denied, I don't know of any place where you can get a truly free FICO score. And yet it's usually the FICO that people want.
"Hey, for every ten dollars, that's another hour that I have to be in the work place. That's an hour of my life. And my life is a very finite thing. I have only 'x' number of hours left before I'm dead. So how do I want to use these hours of my life? Do I want to use them just spending it on more crap and more stuff, or do I want to start getting a handle on it and using my life more intelligently?" -- Joe Dominguez (1938 - 1997)
Old 06-08-2009, 04:40 PM   #8
Give me a forum ...

I ran my score this weekend through Amex offer (Experian), and my score was 790. Just now my score came through CreditKarma/Transunion as 786. Close enough for me.
target2019 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2009, 04:41 PM   #9
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by target2019 View Post
I ran my score this weekend through Amex offer (Experian), and my score was 790. Just now my score came through CreditKarma/Transunion as 786. Close enough for me.
Mine is somewhere in that same neighborhood and it seemed pretty close to me, too.
Old 06-08-2009, 04:50 PM   #10
Give me a forum ...

Wadda pither! 770 and 762 here - we have 2 cards that get exercised, one that gets modest use, and one or two that don't get used at all. Pay in full each month, rare to use 1/8 of our available credit. Haven't done any credit checks or acquired any new cards this year at least. Wonder if our score is impacted by reducing our savings accounts to make loans? Would have thought our score would be very good, not just upper good. sigh.
calmloki is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2009, 05:35 PM   #11
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by calmloki View Post
Wadda pither! 770 and 762 here - we have 2 cards that get exercised, one that gets modest use, and one or two that don't get used at all. Pay in full each month, rare to use 1/8 of our available credit. Haven't done any credit checks or acquired any new cards this year at least. Wonder if our score is impacted by reducing our savings accounts to make loans? Would have thought our score would be very good, not just upper good. sigh.
I played with the Credit Score Simulator, to see what makes it go up or down. Makes no sense, or maybe the simulator is broken.

When you look at the financial markets, which are broken, then it makes sense.

My score is probably 790 due to mortgage paid off, same with cars. We have no long term debt either.

For laughs I changed one variable to declare bankruptcy. My score only went to 704.
target2019 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2009, 06:03 PM   #12
Give me a forum ...

Yeah -- I learned not long ago that having no mortgage hurts the score. It's high enough that I'm not concerned, but it's pretty funny. I could pick up 10-20 points with a mortgage that wasn't delinquent. Whatever.
Old 06-08-2009, 06:46 PM   #13
Dryer sheet aficionado

They can't provide a credit score if you have a credit freeze in place, so I'm out of luck. We use the 'nuclear option' of freezing to prevent identity theft. Since we rarely ever apply for credit, it works for us, but has the downside of not being able to take a peek at our credit score.
Hershey102 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2009, 07:14 PM   #14
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
from the article...
You don’t have to give the site your credit-card information, as you do with a traditional credit bureau. But CreditKarma, from San Francisco-based Credit Karma Inc., will ask you for your address, phone number and Social Security number. (The site says it doesn’t store the number.)

Sorry about that--shouldn't have abbreviated Wall Street Journal to WSJ. That is how we refer to it around the office. My bad.

My score was 790, no mortgage. No need to build it up, but the competitive streak in me sometimes wants to, just for the heck of it.

Sarah in SC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2009, 07:17 PM   #15
Give me a forum ...

My score appears to be 70 points below where it was when we refinanced a few years ago. The simulator says I can gain that all back if I pay off my 0% credit card balances which is something I am in absolutely no hurry to do.
LOL! is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2009, 07:28 PM   #16

Down to a paltry 780. I knew I should have returned the overdue library books!
crazy connie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2009, 07:33 PM   #17
Administrator

Thanks for posting - very useful. No mortgage, my score was 794.

But our son, who is 26, and does not have a mortgage or ever had a credit card (debit card only) has a score of 764 which is good to know as he is about to go looking to change apartments and was wondering what his credit score was.
Old 06-08-2009, 08:29 PM   #18

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alan View Post
Thanks for posting - very useful. No mortgage, my score was 794.

But our son, who is 26, and does not have a mortgage or ever had a credit card (debit card only) has a score of 764 which is good to know as he is about to go looking to change apartments and was wondering what his credit score was.

The only thing he might get told is the dreaded. "Well you dont have enough established credit". Might want to get him a card just to do a few minor purchases and pay them off monthly .
Old 06-08-2009, 08:57 PM   #19
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Notmuchlonger View Post
The only thing he might get told is the dreaded. "Well you dont have enough established credit". Might want to get him a card just to do a few minor purchases and pay them off monthly .
We are expecting him to be okay as he has rented 2 places in the past so that past record should hopefully stand him in good stead. If need be I'll stand guarantor. However, you are correct that he does not have established credit, and that could count against him.
Old 06-08-2009, 08:58 PM   #20

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alan View Post
We are expecting him to be okay as he has rented 2 places in the past so that past record should hopefully stand him in good stead. If need be I'll stand guarantor. However, you are correct that he does not have established credit, and that could count against him.
Sounds like you are on the ball Alan. He has a good dad