Join Early Retirement Today

Old 10-26-2017, 07:17 PM   #61
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

This past summer DW found a package to Branson MO to see her favorite Country singer. We got 3 nights in a hotel plus 3 shows plus two "free" meals at "nice" restaurants - and the total cost for the two of us was $139 - if we sat through a non-time-share-time-share presentation. We took the package, went to the presentation, politely turned down the "amazing offer" and went to our shows, meals, nice hotel, oh, and "antique picture."

Upon checking into the "Show Tickets" office to get our tickets, the booth girl offered us our $139 back if we sat through a DIFFERENT non-time-share-time-share presentation. It was slightly tempting, but we declined, figuring we had a pretty good deal already (at a much better per-hour for our time rate.) YMMV

Anything which can be used can be misused. Anything which can be misused will be.
Koolau is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 10-26-2017, 07:30 PM   #62
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Koolau View Post
This past summer DW found a package to Branson MO to see her favorite Country singer. We got 3 nights in a hotel plus 3 shows plus two "free" meals at "nice" restaurants - and the total cost for the two of us was $139 - if we sat through a non-time-share-time-share presentation. We took the package, went to the presentation, politely turned down the "amazing offer" and went to our shows, meals, nice hotel, oh, and "antique picture."

Upon checking into the "Show Tickets" office to get our tickets, the booth girl offered us our $139 back if we sat through a DIFFERENT non-time-share-time-share presentation. It was slightly tempting, but we declined, figuring we had a pretty good deal already (at a much better per-hour for our time rate.) YMMV
We used to do this whenever we'd go to FL for Disney. Sit through the presentation, turn them down, then have a nice vacation with a nice condo, full kitchen, two bedrooms, pool, etc. It was well worth it. As I remember it cost us about $69/night.

One time I got an invitation to go to a time-share presentation where they'd give a gift if you showed up. I looked at the prizes - travel, big TV, other stuff, and a food processor. I checked the odds and it looked like we would definitely get the food processor, which is something we had talked about buying. Anyway, we went, said no, and they gave us our prize. It was a food processor - a set of blades you attached to a device, then turned the crank to get it to work. Piece of crap. But we had a nice picnic on the way home and a good laugh at the scam.
Old 10-26-2017, 07:40 PM   #63
Give me a forum ...

We went to one of these things a long long time ago. A free roast beef dinner at the "Claim Jumper"

In a back room of course with a projector and screen set up.

Time share condos in Maui. I think they kept calling us for 2 years after we had no interest.

Yup, 1 was enough.
Old 10-27-2017, 06:32 AM   #64

Quote:
Originally Posted by athena53 View Post
I guess they figure there's less money to be found in this Zip Code. Fine with me.
In my experience, anything you receive unsolicited in your mailbox is marketing tied strictly to your ZIP code. I've been at every point in the socioeconomic spectrum and that has always seemed to be the case.
Old 10-27-2017, 07:11 AM   #65
Give me a forum ...

Zip, and age group. There's a reason why we get ads for shoe inserts, ugly underwear, river cruises, old folks' homes, retirement advice, estate planning, and just today...cemetery plots (we are body donors, so that particular industry is outta luck).

Quote:
Originally Posted by braumeister View Post
In my experience, anything you receive unsolicited in your mailbox is marketing tied strictly to your ZIP code. I've been at every point in the socioeconomic spectrum and that has always seemed to be the case.
Amethyst is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2017, 07:36 AM   #66
Administrator

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Amethyst View Post
Zip, and age group. There's a reason why we get ads for shoe inserts, ugly underwear, river cruises, old folks' homes, retirement advice, estate planning, and just today...cemetery plots (we are body donors, so that particular industry is outta luck).
Yup. All that, and boatloads of ads for trusts and annuities.
MichaelB is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2017, 07:52 AM   #67
Give me a forum ...

Send a message via Skype™ to kcowan
Quote:
Originally Posted by jollystomper View Post
I get mainly mailings for these. but the free meal isn't much fun listening to a sales pitch. Now, if instead of a meal they offered cash... I might consider it.
You may be a prospect for a timeshare pitch! The initial contact has $500 to entice you into the pitch. If he offers you $400, then he gets to keep $100.

We have been to two pitches. One was for swampland in Florida. Three days free at a second rate hotel on Miami Beach. The second was 15 years later for a timeshare at a ski resort. By then the free offer was one night plus a continental breakfast. Same formula.

In both cases, the people who bought were the ones who could least afford it.

We have been off the lists for the last twenty years.
Old 10-27-2017, 08:16 AM   #68
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Quote:
Totally agree. In fact, we once had some electrical work done and the worker who came to the house jokingly said to the wife when he handed her the invoice "looks like your paying the 'Barrington premium' ".

She asked what that meant and he said his employer automatically increased rates for customer in our zip code because it's a more affluent area.
CoolRich59 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2017, 11:39 AM   #69

Quote:
Originally Posted by USGrant1962 View Post
Hey Walt, was that at Dutch's Daughter? I get those invites about once a month these days.
Yup, the same.
Old 10-27-2017, 01:03 PM   #70
Recycles dryer sheets

Heck, we have been home a couple of months from overseas and have gone a few of the " Free Meals" - We pick the ones with the nicer venues, go early and have a couple of drinks at the bar, enjoy meeting the people, learn a few things and have a nice dinner and get to meet new people - There is no hard sell, they bring in good guest speakers, and try to get clients, and we get a good meal and find resources that we can use in the future. Its and win win for both of us.
Loving Life is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2017, 07:57 PM   #71
Give me a forum ...

I wish DW was interested in attending but she hates any kind of interaction with salespeople in that type of setting so unable to enjoy the freebie. We did go 150 miles to see Ray Lucia. I liked his radio show but the presentation was focused on non traded REITS. Yuck. They served pastries coffee and juice. The invites we get now are for decent non descript resturants. If I get one for Ruth's Chris, I'm in!
Old 10-28-2017, 03:16 AM   #72
Full time employment: Posting here.

I got an offer from the SO of a co-w*rker. It was on SS, so I was interested on one level, but it is so far off (55 at the time) I was tempted to say no. I was convinced that it was a good thing, and since I was upfront about my age and background (CPA estate planner for a HNW extended family), DW and I went. The fixed meal in a back room was okay at best, the others at the table seemed to be the real targets (some $$ but no understanding of SS or finance). I got the feeling that I was a plant to show that some people understand the retirement system and will scam it at the expense of others, so work with the salesman and he will help you to the promised land!

It was a new restaurant and I wasn't impressed by the food. It convinced DW that that wasn't a restaurant that we had to check out, so it was worth it to sit through a 1 1/2 hour meal/presentation to sample a decent but not great meal so I could avoid the high priced dining with DW some other weekend!
Taxman59 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2017, 05:53 AM   #73
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Taxman59 View Post
I got the feeling that I was a plant to show that some people understand the retirement system and will scam it at the expense of others, so work with the salesman and he will help you to the promised land!
That's really interesting!

Now I'm not saying you are in this group, but other people mentioned the "know it alls" being obnoxious. You have to believe the presenters know that these people will come to these events, and they may actually be used to the presenters' advantage, i.e. "don't listen to that false god, listen to me, I will take you to the promised land."

I'm just a little too introverted to externally be the obnoxious know it all. I just mutter it to myself at these kind of events.
JoeWras is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2017, 07:48 AM   #74

It seems like 2/3 of them are at Ruth's Chris - but from many different insurance salespeople. I wonder if Ruth's Chris have enough seating for regular diners!
Old 10-29-2017, 06:27 AM   #75

I'd jump at Ruth's Chris too! There is a "hearing" seminar we've gone to at a local very nice seafood restaurant. Worth the time.
Old 10-29-2017, 10:22 AM   #76
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by LRDave View Post
It seems like 2/3 of them are at Ruth's Chris - but from many different insurance salespeople. I wonder if Ruth's Chris have enough seating for regular diners!
So we, the end consumers, are bombarded by these offers to listen to seminars while eating free at Ruth's Chris.

Meanwhile, the insurance people and FAs are bombarded by Ruth's Chris with some sort of deal to sponsor their seminars.
JoeWras is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2017, 10:34 AM   #77
Give me a forum ...

What's the deal with Ruth's Chris?
Old 10-30-2017, 09:28 PM   #78
Recycles dryer sheets

Quote:
Originally Posted by jollystomper View Post
I get mainly mailings for these. but the free meal isn't much fun listening to a sales pitch. Now, if instead of a meal they offered cash... I might consider it.
+1 *exactly*.

I can't imagine enjoying even the best meal with some yayhoo yammering on in the background trying to sell me something I don't want.

On the other hand, I can imagine being tempted some day by a timeshare pitch vacation - to a suitable place, for a steal - but so far I've managed to hold out there as well.
rockyj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2017, 09:32 PM   #79

Quote:
Originally Posted by rockyj View Post
+1 *exactly*.

I can't imagine enjoying even the best meal with some yayhoo yammering on in the background trying to sell me something I don't want.

FWIW, both presentations I attended were done BEFORE the food arrived.

omni
omni550 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2017, 09:55 PM   #80
Recycles dryer sheets

Quote:
Originally Posted by omni550 View Post
FWIW, both presentations I attended were done BEFORE the food arrived.

omni
That being the case, it looks like my imagination must be out of focus.

And I see that some on this thread have attended talks they felt were interesting or worthwhile. Good on that.

Still, unless it was something in which I was truly interested, I wouldn't be too happy about having wasted my time there come meal time anyway.

Most of the mailers I get read like "little known secrets of wealth preservation" (or similarly "come on" sounding). Not for me. Perhaps I'm not in the right zip code.

;-)
rockyj is offline   Reply With Quote