Join Early Retirement Today

Old 12-24-2020, 08:06 PM   #141
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Quote:
Originally Posted by latexman View Post
Thanks. I have an IRA, Roth IRA, and MegaCorp’s 401k at Fidelity. This explains why I’ve never seen the free TT offer.

Not true. You need 1MIL in all accounts of any type. Almost all my accounts with Fido are retirement. I get the offer and have less than $10k in non retirement money.
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 12-24-2020, 08:07 PM   #142

Quote:
Originally Posted by steelyman View Post
Rookie mistake (first-time TurboTax user this year): I see the link on my Fidelity account as discussed in this thread. I’d already purchased and installed the software. Live and learn!

Submit your receipt to your rep. He should reimburse you. Mine did many times.
Old 12-24-2020, 08:21 PM   #143
Recycles dryer sheets

Quote:
Originally Posted by Al in Ohio View Post
Not true. You need 1MIL in all accounts of any type. Almost all my accounts with Fido are retirement. I get the offer and have less than $10k in non retirement money.
But is the retirement money in "retail" IRA's, or 401k's? The terms say non-retirement but in practice it seems like they mean retail products. So an IRA seems to work and people report getting the offer. But if most of your money is in a 401k, you won't.
MisterBill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2020, 08:23 PM   #144
Recycles dryer sheets

Quote:
Submit your receipt to your rep. He should reimburse you. Mine did many times.
Easy enough to get a refund from Intuit. The reimbursement from Fidelity will be taxable, and I wonder if they'll do it if you have the offer.
Old 12-25-2020, 06:23 AM   #145
Recycles dryer sheets

Here is my experience: I switched over to Fidelity this year for a portion of our taxable accounts to start the process of consolidating and to use their cash management. Account value crossed over 1M this last month, and I never saw an offer for a free Turbotax. I figured I had nothing to lose by sending of an email request. The response I got back was:

"Each year we have a certain number of free TurboTax offers that we are able to extend to our customers. Although you may have had the opportunity to utilize this offer in the past, we were unable to offer it to you this year."

They did offer me the standard $20 off, but it is cheaper to get it at Costco so that is what I will do.

Not really a big deal, but just thought I would post my experience.
Hopeful is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-25-2020, 10:48 AM   #146
Recycles dryer sheets

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hopeful View Post
Here is my experience: I switched over to Fidelity this year for a portion of our taxable accounts to start the process of consolidating and to use their cash management. Account value crossed over 1M this last month, and I never saw an offer for a free Turbotax. I figured I had nothing to lose by sending of an email request. The response I got back was:

"Each year we have a certain number of free TurboTax offers that we are able to extend to our customers. Although you may have had the opportunity to utilize this offer in the past, we were unable to offer it to you this year."
That's just a canned response.

Do you have a rep or was that from their generic customer service? Do you see Private Client Group when you log in or on your statement? If you had an assigned rep, you might have gotten a different response.
Old 12-25-2020, 11:12 AM   #147
Recycles dryer sheets

Quote:
Originally Posted by MisterBill View Post
That's just a canned response.

Do you have a rep or was that from their generic customer service? Do you see Private Client Group when you log in or on your statement?
I just sent a question to the customer service email. I don't have a rep that I know of. My account says "Fidelity Premium Services". It wast over the 1mil mark until a couple of weeks ago though.
Hopeful is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-25-2020, 11:58 AM   #148
Full time employment: Posting here.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hopeful View Post
I just sent a question to the customer service email. I don't have a rep that I know of. My account says "Fidelity Premium Services". It wast over the 1mil mark until a couple of weeks ago though.
I was inspired by your post to contact my rep. We are Private Client Group and have a new rep. Someone on his team contacted me about some trade questions and stated he would follow up on the offer not showing. He did not.

We have more than a few million at Fido. Well we do this year for now. Schwab is no further away and offers to come to the dark side are pretty good, just saying.
Happyras is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-25-2020, 12:26 PM   #149
Recycles dryer sheets

Quote:
Originally Posted by Happyras View Post
We have more than a few million at Fido. Well we do this year for now. Schwab is no further away and offers to come to the dark side are pretty good, just saying.
Does Schwab offer transfer bonuses? Update - I see from another site that they do apparently have some offers. But they won't give you free Turbotax (which obvously you're not getting from Fidelity, either).
Old 12-25-2020, 12:38 PM   #150

I wonder what the true cost of TT is for Fidelity. They certainly have some lower contract agreement price than the Intuit listed price. Anyone have some ideas?

You can't spend yourself to prosperity.

Semi-Retired 7/1/16: working part-time (60%) for now [4/24/17 changed to 80%]
Retired Aug 2, 2017; age 53
38Chevy454 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-25-2020, 02:31 PM   #151
Recycles dryer sheets

Quote:
Not true. You need 1MIL in all accounts of any type. Almost all my accounts with Fido are retirement.
Not true. I had over $2M in all accounts, and they told me that "my relationship with Fidelity was insufficient".

I keep repeating that because it is so incredible that they would use those exact words, and it still spikes my blood pressure every time I think about it.
LarryMelman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-25-2020, 02:36 PM   #152
Recycles dryer sheets

Quote:
Originally Posted by MisterBill View Post
Does Schwab offer transfer bonuses? Update - I see from another site that they do apparently have some offers. But they won't give you free Turbotax (which obvously you're not getting from Fidelity, either).
As I wrote earlier in this thread and many times elsewhere, Schwab gave me $2500 to move $1M in from Fidelity.
Old 12-25-2020, 06:19 PM   #153
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by LarryMelman View Post
As I wrote earlier in this thread and many times elsewhere, Schwab gave me $2500 to move $1M in from Fidelity.
Regular brokerage account without any maintenance or management fees?

Or some kind of managed account requiring fees?
explanade is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2020, 10:06 AM   #154
Recycles dryer sheets

Quote:
Originally Posted by explanade View Post
Regular brokerage account without any maintenance or management fees?

Or some kind of managed account requiring fees?
As brokerage accounts. But I pay management fees inside their mutual funds, and I've paid them plenty of trading commissions back when they charged them.

I do not pay them any advisory or AUM fees. If that disqualified me for getting the free TT after several years of getting it, I would have understood if they had simply explained it that way. But they were obnoxious and insulting and never did clearly explain how I could make my relationship more "sufficient". When I told this story to the people in the local Fidelity office, they claimed to have no knowledge of the matter.

As for Schwab, my accounts with them are just basic brokerage accounts as well. But their local branch staff contact me frequently and invite me to presentations, which Fidelity never ever did.
Old 12-26-2020, 10:33 AM   #155

I get the free Turbo Tax but I'm beginning to think that Fidelity would be ahead of the game by discontinuing this bonus. For every customer that is glad to get the offer there appears to be one or more customers that are disgruntled because they didn't.
misanman is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2020, 10:54 AM   #156

Quote:
Originally Posted by misanman View Post
I get the free Turbo Tax but I'm beginning to think that Fidelity would be ahead of the game by discontinuing this bonus. For every customer that is glad to get the offer there appears to be one or more customers that are disgruntled because they didn't.
+1, but still not offer showing
Old 12-26-2020, 01:46 PM   #157
Give me a forum ...

I just downloaded it!

What I did was follow the $20 link from Fidelity, just to see how prices compared because Amazon has a sale, today only.

So if the Fidelity discount didn't result in lower prices I was going to buy from Amazon with the $10 Amazon gift card.

But it shows Deluxe as $40 on the Turbotax site when linked from Fidelity account yet it showed Premier as $0.

So I logged into Intuit and selected it and now it's downloaded, along with receipt for the license code to use during installation.

Now the only problem is, I'm still on Mac OS X 10.13.6.

Argh, going to have to upgrade now!
Old 12-28-2020, 12:41 PM   #158

Quote:
Originally Posted by Happyras View Post
+1, but still not offer showing
Well, as Gomer would say su-prise, su-prise, su-prise, it magically appeared today. My "advisor" followed up with an email to tell me it was there. Now I feel special again.
Old 12-28-2020, 01:51 PM   #159
Give me a forum ...

Even if the offer doesn't show up, I would try to search for the $20 off and follow the link there to Fidelity, search for downloads and see if the free Premier version still shows up.

I wonder if the fact that I've gotten it for several years running made the $0 Premier version show up once I followed the link from Fidelity to the Intuit site.
Old 12-29-2020, 09:45 AM   #160

BTW, you can add both the Windows & Mac versions to your order before checking out...you will get different activation codes for each.

I did so this year because last year I only added the Mac version but at that time my Mac system software was too old to run it so I had to purchase a retail Windows version...I run Windows 10 on my Mac via Parallels virtualization software for some Windows-only programs.
ncbill is offline   Reply With Quote