Join Early Retirement Today

Old 12-19-2020, 04:39 PM   #101
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Quote:
Originally Posted by explanade View Post
Well my parents used to be PCG, paid a lot in fees annually. My father passed away 3 years ago and I took over managing my mother's assets under trust.

Last year I moved her IRA and the trust after-tax assets out of professional management at the end of November, start of December.

We still got the Turbo Tax with her login but this year, not seeing it yet.

In the summary page, it shows PCG and the assigned FA still on the upper-right hand corner.

In the left column, they show the "Professionally Managed Accounts" which all have zero balances as I've moved them all to a standard account holding mostly Fidelity zero cost funds.

So I imagine if I sent a message to the FA to ask about it, he'd probably say you're no longer PCG so no free Turbotax.

PCG has nothing to do with it. I have never been PCG. You hit one million your TT is free. You have to be VERY alert as to the timing and where on the screen.
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 12-19-2020, 05:01 PM   #102
Recycles dryer sheets

Quote:
Well my parents used to be PCG, paid a lot in fees annually. My father passed away 3 years ago and I took over managing my mother's assets under trust.

Last year I moved her IRA and the trust after-tax assets out of professional management at the end of November, start of December.

We still got the Turbo Tax with her login but this year, not seeing it yet.

In the summary page, it shows PCG and the assigned FA still on the upper-right hand corner.

In the left column, they show the "Professionally Managed Accounts" which all have zero balances as I've moved them all to a standard account holding mostly Fidelity zero cost funds.

So I imagine if I sent a message to the FA to ask about it, he'd probably say you're no longer PCG so no free Turbotax.
So presumably she was a PWM customer and is not any longer. These are the terms on the Fidelity page that mentions free TT. Notice that PWM customers do seem to be it automatically so long as they have a non-retirement account. I bolded the "or" because it makes it easier to understand. The whole thing should really be in a table, or at least a list.

Is your mother's account $1m or more?

Certain covered clients: Private Wealth Management (PWM) client and owns one or more nonretirement account(s) or PCG, Premium, and ATS clients with minimum assets of either: PWI assets of $1,000,000 or more and PI assets of at least $500,000 and own one or more nonretirement account or Nonretirement assets $1,000,000 or more. Applies to Federal returns and one state return only. Cost of additional state returns are the responsibility of the client.
MisterBill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2020, 05:05 PM   #103
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by LarryMelman View Post
There is nothing on my portfolio page.

And regarding not having a rep assigned - the people in the local office were clueless about this. And the person I talked to (to roll over an IRA, IIRC) did not offer to sign me up with anyone. I don't think anyone has ever offered to be my rep.
Have you ever paid them management fees on your investments?
explanade is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2020, 05:45 PM   #104
Recycles dryer sheets

Free link showed up today....earliest that I can remember.
Old 12-19-2020, 07:26 PM   #105
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Al in Ohio View Post
PCG has nothing to do with it. I have never been PCG. You hit one million your TT is free. You have to be VERY alert as to the timing and where on the screen.
Quote:
Originally Posted by MisterBill View Post
So presumably she was a PWM customer and is not any longer. These are the terms on the Fidelity page that mentions free TT. Notice that PWM customers do seem to be it automatically so long as they have a non-retirement account. I bolded the "or" because it makes it easier to understand. The whole thing should really be in a table, or at least a list.

Is your mother's account $1m or more?

Certain covered clients: Private Wealth Management (PWM) client and owns one or more nonretirement account(s) or PCG, Premium, and ATS clients with minimum assets of either: PWI assets of $1,000,000 or more and PI assets of at least $500,000 and own one or more nonretirement account or Nonretirement assets $1,000,000 or more. Applies to Federal returns and one state return only. Cost of additional state returns are the responsibility of the client.
OK, my parents had a trust account which was worth more than $1 million.

When I moved it out of the managed account with the steep fees, the actually moved it under my Fidelity account login, because I am the sole trustee of a revocable trust.

Still not understanding that but income earned on it reports to her SSN while I have two very small balance accounts, one post-tax and one HSA.

She has an IRA under her old Fidelity login, it's a good amount of money but well under $1 million.

Last year, the free turbo tax came out of her login, with the under $1 million balance.

OTOH, my login, with the trust account which was over $1 million did not get the free turbo tax.

Maybe they gave it under her account one last time, because we had most of the assets under managed accounts for most of 2019.

Like I said, her login still shows PCG and the old FA name. My login shows PCG without any FA name. What is PWI or ATS?
explanade is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2020, 07:32 PM   #106
Recycles dryer sheets

Quote:
Have you ever paid them management fees on your investments?
I've paid fees in their mutual funds for over 30 years. And lots of brokerage commissions.
LarryMelman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2020, 09:59 PM   #107
Recycles dryer sheets

Quote:
Originally Posted by 523HRR View Post
Free link showed up today....earliest that I can remember.
Actually, except for last year (when it only showed up in January due to some other updates the Fidelity people had to do first due to tax law changes), this is the time it has shown up.
Old 12-19-2020, 10:00 PM   #108
Recycles dryer sheets

Quote:
Like I said, her login still shows PCG and the old FA name. My login shows PCG without any FA name. What is PWI or ATS?
PWI = Personal & Workplace Investments (aka 401k/pension/ESPP/etc.)
PI = Personal Investments (individual, joint, IRA, Roth IRA, etc. accounts)

Not really sure about ATS. In a thread on another financial site, someone said "As for ATS, Alternative Trading System seems to be a "thing" in the financial services industry, but I have no idea if that is being referred to on that website page."

Not sure what you can do since it seems like you're no longer doing business with the former rep. You should try to get a rep on your account, maybe they could agree to reimburse you.
Old 12-19-2020, 10:01 PM   #109
Recycles dryer sheets

Quote:
Originally Posted by LarryMelman View Post
I've paid fees in their mutual funds for over 30 years. And lots of brokerage commissions.
So have lots of other people who also did not qualify for the offer.
Old 12-20-2020, 08:27 AM   #110

Even though I bought TT over a month ago, I've found myself logging in over a half dozen times the last few days just hoping to see the gold appear in my account. I no longer care if my accounts goes up or down $$thousands - only free TurboTax. Must be a sickness.
PatrickA5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2020, 11:14 AM   #111

Quote:
Originally Posted by omni550 View Post
Some underling wrote back stating I needed to have over $1Mill on account not including retirement accounts.
Thanks. I have an IRA, Roth IRA, and MegaCorp’s 401k at Fidelity. This explains why I’ve never seen the free TT offer.
latexman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2020, 01:19 PM   #112
Recycles dryer sheets

Quote:
Originally Posted by latexman View Post
Thanks. I have an IRA, Roth IRA, and MegaCorp’s 401k at Fidelity. This explains why I’ve never seen the free TT offer.
I've never had anything close to $1 Mil in my account if I exclude retirement accounts. My understanding is that individual accounts (IRA, ROTH IRA) count towards the $1 Mil but not institutional accounts (401k, 403b, etc.)
FIREd_2015 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2020, 01:22 PM   #113
Give me a forum ...

I only have retirement and HSA, so I don't have the link regardless of the amount.

I mean, geez, the S&P moves .01 and that blows away any effect of getting the free TT. I get it, we like perks. But there has to be some perspective here.

JoeWras is offline   Reply With Quote
Free TT Premier. This is how it looks on Fidelity page
Old 12-20-2020, 01:47 PM   #114
Recycles dryer sheets

Free TT Premier. This is how it looks on Fidelity page

this is what it looks like
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 11.JPG (32.1 KB, 31 views)
samm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2020, 01:52 PM   #115
Recycles dryer sheets

Quote:
Originally Posted by FIREd_2015 View Post
I've never had anything close to $1 Mil in my account if I exclude retirement accounts. My understanding is that individual accounts (IRA, ROTH IRA) count towards the $1 Mil but not institutional accounts (401k, 403b, etc.)
Yes, that's what I think as well. You need $1m total of which $500k has to be in retail (what you called not institutional) accounts.

Or be an active trader or use their PWM service.

Or just be lucky.
Old 12-21-2020, 07:00 PM   #116

Quote:
Originally Posted by samm View Post
this is what it looks like
That's the online version, not the one that you could download into your computer, right?
Old 12-21-2020, 07:27 PM   #117
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spanky View Post
That's the online version, not the one that you could download into your computer, right?
It's both. You click on that Fidelity link and it takes you to the TurboTax site. You'll see the online versions, but if you scroll down, you see a link to the download versions. Follow that and you'll get Premier download free.
Old 12-21-2020, 07:44 PM   #118
Recycles dryer sheets

Quote:
Originally Posted by audreyh1 View Post
It's both. You click on that Fidelity link and it takes you to the TurboTax site. You'll see the online versions, but if you scroll down, you see a link to the download versions. Follow that and you'll get Premier download free.
Right, they always say online on the Fidelity website, but you can get the download version if you look around (and it's not that difficult to find) I wonder how many people see the box with the free offer and don't click it because they don't want to use the online version?
Old 12-22-2020, 12:08 AM   #119

Quote:
Originally Posted by audreyh1 View Post
Thanks a lot. Scrolling down is the only way to find it.
Old 12-22-2020, 08:58 AM   #120

Most of our Fidelity balance is in retirement accounts. About 25% is in investment accounts (well below $1M) and we still got the offer.