Portal Forums Links Register FAQ Community Calendar Log in

Join Early Retirement Today

Old 12-13-2016, 09:54 PM   #41
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Location: Spending the Kids Inheritance and living in Chicago
Quote:
Originally Posted by sengsational View Post
Yep, I'm spread-out between the three as well. But my taxes were done on a copy of HR Block a month ago. And if I get my refund as an Amazon gift card, I get 1.1x my refund amount.
This makes me think, one could simply overpay estimated taxes a lot and make 10% on that overpayment.
Sunset is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 12-13-2016, 10:06 PM   #42
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sunset View Post
This makes me think, one could simply overpay estimated taxes a lot and make 10% on that overpayment.
Yep - that has occurred to me!
Old 12-14-2016, 04:51 AM   #43
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Hmmmm...I'm a PCG member and got an invitation to the Greenline Forum but no Turbo Tax offer. That's ok. I use a CPA to deal with the inherited IRA's and the real estate. I probably "could" do my taxes, but I would probably miss some of the nuances. It would be interesting to walk through a return and compare it to the CPA's return, but that's all.
Another Reader is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2016, 05:18 AM   #44

Quote:
Originally Posted by audreyh1 View Post
Well, I've never had more than a handful of trades a year, but been PCG, and this is our third year of free TT Premier, so IMO PCG is a qualifier.
Same here.
FWIW, a few years ago I asked my PCG rep about it, and his response was "Oh, I didn't know you used that. I'll put you on the list."

Ever since then, I've had the free download through them. So if you're PCG and don't see it, you should definitely make a phone call.
braumeister is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2016, 09:41 PM   #45

Quote:
I didn't want to make an interest free loan to Uncle Sam, but my 401k refused to release funds unless they withheld 20%! But glad to make a few bucks back. HR Block only counts the first $500, so it's not an unlimited amount.
sengsational is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2016, 02:10 PM   #46
Confused about dryer sheets

After reading this thread, I called my Fidelity rep and was told to qualify for the free turbotax download, you have to have over 1 million in non retirement accounts. The majority of my money is in my IRA so I don't make it.
donpuc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2016, 02:16 PM   #47

Quote:
Leave it with your Uncle Sam until you file an amended return a few years later, and he'll pay you 3% annual interest too!
GrayHare is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2016, 02:19 PM   #48
Give me a forum ...

The Fido offer I got also includes a free state return. So make sure you check to see if that's included. That has some value.
COcheesehead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2016, 03:42 PM   #49
Full time employment: Posting here.

Quote:
Originally Posted by donpuc View Post
After reading this thread, I called my Fidelity rep and was told to qualify for the free turbotax download, you have to have over 1 million in non retirement accounts. The majority of my money is in my IRA so I don't make it.
Money is money.

I guess Fidelity would rather you don't have your IRAs with them.
broadway is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2016, 03:53 PM   #50

Quote:
That is not consistent with my understanding. You should qualify for Private Client Group (PCG) at $1M total family assets housed at Fidelity. That includes retirement and non-retirement accounts for yourself and your spouse. We don't have $1M in non-retirement, yet we are PCG and get the free turbotax download every year, among other benefits. I would suggest you call back and talk to someone else.
Old 12-20-2016, 04:00 PM   #51

Quote:
I don't think that is actually Fidelity policy. If it were, I certainly would not have qualified. Bottom line is that your PCG rep has a lot of discretion in where he or she strokes the customer. Hence the encounter I had a few years ago. I knew about others getting the free TurboTax and I asked my rep about it. His response was "Oh, I didn't know you used that. I'll put you on the list." Since that time, I've been given the offer.

So I would say your denial was from your PCG rep, not Fidelity. I doubt if Fidelity actually has a policy apart from the standard $20 discount they give everyone. The free software can only be obtained when your rep "puts you on the list." Short of asking for a different rep I'm not sure if there is anything you can do about it, though. Just out of curiosity, had you already established a friendly relationship with him or her?

Or I may have it completely wrong, but it's a strong impression. There is also the possibility that your rep was correctly citing the official policy and other reps (like mine) are simply overriding the company line. Who knows?
Old 12-20-2016, 04:05 PM   #52
Give me a forum ...

Location: Spending the Kids Inheritance and living in Chicago
Quote:
Originally Posted by braumeister View Post
So I would say your denial was from your PCG rep, not Fidelity. I doubt if Fidelity actually has a policy apart from the standard $20 discount they give everyone. The free software can only be obtained when your rep "puts you on the list." Short of asking for a different rep I'm not sure if there is anything you can do about it, though. Just out of curiosity, had you already established a friendly relationship with him or her?
I would think he simply needs to phone the rep again and ask again, and when told no, then ask the rep how long will it take to transfer the IRA to Vanguard, since he feels unfairly treated.
Sunset is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2016, 05:19 PM   #53
Recycles dryer sheets

Quote:
I would have to agree with others who said you're getting bad info. I currently only have around $12k in non-retirement assets at Fidelity and never had anywhere near $1m in non-retirement assets there. My understanding was company sponsored accounts (401k, 403b, etc) didn't count towards the $1m threshold but individual IRA and ROTH accounts do.
FIREd_2015 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2016, 05:21 PM   #54
Give me a forum ...

First year the free version appeared on my Fidelity page. I inquired a couple of years ago about it so maybe that finally paid off. I have used H&R Block the last couple of years and had planned to go that route, but the TT download was painless so might as well take advantage of the freebie.
Old 12-20-2016, 05:31 PM   #55
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cobra9777 View Post
That is not consistent with my understanding. You should qualify for Private Client Group (PCG) at $1M total family assets housed at Fidelity. That includes retirement and non-retirement accounts for yourself and your spouse. We don't have $1M in non-retirement, yet we are PCG and get the free turbotax download every year, among other benefits. I would suggest you call back and talk to someone else.
Yes, he should be a Private Client and have access to the offer. Something is not correct about this.
Old 12-20-2016, 05:34 PM   #56
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by FIREd_2015 View Post
I would have to agree with others who said you're getting bad info. I currently only have around $12k in non-retirement assets at Fidelity and never had anywhere near $1m in non-retirement assets there. My understanding was company sponsored accounts (401k, 403b, etc) didn't count towards the $1m threshold but individual IRA and ROTH accounts do.
So you get it with just $12k in assets?

What is the verbiage for the free TurboTax offer?

I don't have a PCG rep. But my father has a ton of money with them so where does he look or whom should he ask?
explanade is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2016, 05:39 PM   #57
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by explanade View Post
So you get it with just $12k in assets?

What is the verbiage for the free TurboTax offer?

I don't have a PCG rep. But my father has a ton of money with them so where does he look or whom should he ask?
It's right on the summary page of your account and it looks like this.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_1285.jpg (291.2 KB, 20 views)
Old 12-20-2016, 05:51 PM   #58
Give me a forum ...

Hmm, when I log in, the left column has an account total and lists of accounts.

The type of account it lists is "Individual - TOD" with a "Brokerage" account number.

Maybe I need one of the accounts where they manage the investments and extracts a management fee?
explanade is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2016, 05:54 PM   #59
Give me a forum ...

Quote:

The type of account it lists is "Individual - TOD" with a "Brokerage" account number.

Maybe I need one of the accounts where they manage the investments and extracts a management fee?
What is to the right? The offer on my page has it right there. I don't have ANY managed accounts.
Old 12-20-2016, 05:56 PM   #60

Quote:

for what? free tax program. I don't have one at Fido. not at schwab either since I terminated the one small account.
bingybear is offline   Reply With Quote