Join Early Retirement Today

Old 12-22-2016, 12:15 PM   #81
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Quote:
Originally Posted by dixonge View Post
From what I am seeing, this is the same offer available to the public. You can file 1040a and 1040ez both fed and state for free using their online software. If you need more option than that you'll have to pay something.

Note, I'm not a Fidelity member...
In fairness you should include all of what the offer says. You'll qualify for using it if:

You made less than 100k
Don't own a home or rental property
Didn't sell investments
Don't own a business or have 1099 income
Don't have major medical expenses
COcheesehead is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 12-22-2016, 01:48 PM   #82

Quote:
Originally Posted by dixonge View Post
From what I am seeing, this is the same offer available to the public. You can file 1040a and 1040ez both fed and state for free using their online software. If you need more option than that you'll have to pay something.

Note, I'm not a Fidelity member...
Not really, The Fidelity deal is for TurboTax Premier version "downloaded". At least it was for me. The lower featured TT Deluxe version would cost us money. Go figure! I'm not complaining mind you. The general public can file using TT Basic "online" version. for free.

Whether you want or need one version or another is up to the individual's situation and preference. I like having the program on my local drive so I can play with various scenarios. And, I know I'm actually wrong on this point, I feel my personal data is just a bit more secure.

Note, I am a Fidelity client.
CRLLS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2016, 06:06 PM   #83
Recycles dryer sheets

pasted from chat session with Fidelity,
"You are part of our Active Trader group. Perry to be candid you do not qualify for the free offer. You did meet the minimum number of trades needed, however, you need a non-retirement account to qualify".
perrytime is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2016, 03:13 PM   #84

I was able to do the Fidelity Premier download today. Thanks to Audrey for the hint to click on the see products tab.

Semi-Retired 7/1/16: working part-time (60%) for now [4/24/17 changed to 80%]
Retired Aug 2, 2017; age 53
38Chevy454 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2017, 11:24 AM   #85
Full time employment: Posting here.

The free TurboTax offer hasn't been available to me so last week I bought a copy at Costco and installed it. Also noted that my Fidelity end of year tax documents became available late last week.

So today I log in to my Fidelity account and see my offer for free TurboTax Premier.

A little late, I guess. Or I was too early buying a copy. But I have no idea why I've suddenly become eligible for the free offer.
misanman is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2017, 11:42 AM   #86
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

It scanned your computer when you logged in, noticed you have it already and then offered it.
explanade is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2017, 11:58 AM   #87

Was the offer for the online version or the download version?
braumeister is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2017, 01:09 PM   #88

Quote:
Originally Posted by misanman View Post
The free TurboTax offer hasn't been available to me so last week I bought a copy at Costco and installed it. Also noted that my Fidelity end of year tax documents became available late last week.

So today I log in to my Fidelity account and see my offer for free TurboTax Premier.

A little late, I guess. Or I was too early buying a copy. But I have no idea why I've suddenly become eligible for the free offer.
Likewise I just got the free offer from Fidelity sometime in the last few days. I ran what info I had and it concurred with my paper form calculations. With the 1099's piling up I may use it after all.
Old 01-16-2017, 01:28 PM   #89

I've got one 1099R, but no 1095's or 1099 composites, so still plenty of time for getting software. I usually don't file until a bit later anyway as I expect at least one 1099 composite will have a correction. This usually is just re-characterizing some dividends. But this keeps me from doing amended returns.. at least usually.
bingybear is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2017, 02:42 PM   #90
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by misanman View Post

Call your Fidelity rep. Tell him this story. I bet they'll reimburse you and may need a copy of the receipt.
Old 01-16-2017, 04:09 PM   #91

Quote:
Was the offer for the online version or the download version?
Download version.
Old 01-17-2017, 03:24 AM   #92
Dryer sheet wannabe

If you compare trading service levels you can see a table that lists all of the benefits of 'Active Trader Services' and 'Active Trader VIP' status and one of them is "Free TurboTax® Premier Online". If you don't meet the qualifications for one of these levels it says you qualify for a discount on TurboTax (does not specify which version).

Qualifications

Active Trader Services

Trades: 120+ stock, bond, or option trades in a 12-month period
Minimum balance: Maintain $25,000 in assets across your Fidelity accounts

Active Trader VIP

Trades: 500+ stock, bond, or option trades in a 12-month period
Minimum balance: Maintain $1,000,000 in assets across your Fidelity accounts
ShahtER is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2017, 06:21 AM   #93
Give me a forum ...

You don't have to be an active trader to get TT Premier free at Fidelity.
Old 01-17-2017, 03:16 PM   #94
Recycles dryer sheets

Quote:
Originally Posted by ShahtER View Post
If you compare trading service levels you can see a table that lists all of the benefits of 'Active Trader Services' and 'Active Trader VIP' status and one of them is "Free TurboTax® Premier Online". If you don't meet the qualifications for one of these levels it says you qualify for a discount on TurboTax (does not specify which version).

Qualifications

Active Trader Services

Trades: 120+ stock, bond, or option trades in a 12-month period
Minimum balance: Maintain $25,000 in assets across your Fidelity accounts

Active Trader VIP

Trades: 500+ stock, bond, or option trades in a 12-month period
Minimum balance: Maintain $1,000,000 in assets across your Fidelity accounts
I wasted half an hour on phone yesterday and was bumped to three diff people. Same explanation as above was given. I've 2.5M+ with Fidelity but they won't give me free TT as it's External Advisor Managed account. I also have another 200K not advisor managed but that requires that 500/120 trades per year...so basically spend 1K-5K in transaction cost with Fidelity and they'll give me free TT...What a great deal!

AA:50/50 WR:3% until 2022 then 4% is the plan(Reduced risk Dec 2020 after going through pandemic)
AA:60/40 Dec 2016 - Dec 2020. Lived on 3%
retire2020 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2017, 04:37 PM   #95
Recycles dryer sheets

Purchased the TurboTax 2016 Premier disc through Costco for $70 and sent the invoice to my Fidelity Private Client rep. Full reimbursement deposited directly to my account.
Old 01-22-2017, 11:59 PM   #96

Quote:
Originally Posted by 523HRR View Post
Purchased the TurboTax 2016 Premier disc through Costco for $70 and sent the invoice to my Fidelity Private Client rep. Full reimbursement deposited directly to my account.

My rep mentioned he would do the same for me. Do you bring it in to the Fidelity office or do you typically just email him a scan of your Costco invoice?
Old 01-23-2017, 08:53 AM   #97
Recycles dryer sheets

Quote:
Originally Posted by Al in Ohio View Post
My rep mentioned he would do the same for me. Do you bring it in to the Fidelity office or do you typically just email him a scan of your Costco invoice?
I just emailed it.
Old 02-12-2017, 10:43 AM   #98

Now you have it --now you don't..
Back in December I checked my FIDO account to see if I had the free TT offer as in past years. All it showed was a $20 discount. I usually have to wait until late Feb to collect my 1099's so I hoped the tooth fairy would bring the free offer in January. Yes, the free fed/state offer appeared in late January, but I'm still not ready to begin.
So today was my planned start date (Feb 12) but alas, my account now shows only the $20 deal.
Has any one else experienced this give/take away stuff?
JPatrick is offline   Reply With Quote