Join Early Retirement Today

Old 12-13-2016, 12:49 PM   #21
Recycles dryer sheets

Quote:
Originally Posted by audreyh1 View Post
OK - we found it. But it's tricky. This is tricky like it was before.
  1. First we had to click on the link "get started now" under "Get Turbotax Online Premier Free".
  2. Then it takes you over to Intuit Turbotax site. And it has the Fidelity logo. And it you "start for free" or "sign in". But ignore all that. Below, to the right there is a download link. Click on "See Products".
  3. And that's where the various downloadable versions are listed. And Turbotax Premier is free, and others are discounted.
Worked for me. Thanks for the heads up on that....I was logging in and it was taking me to the online version.
tdv2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 12-13-2016, 12:53 PM   #22

Quote:
Nice catch, audreyh1! You're a tricky devil, aren't you?

That worked for me too.
braumeister is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2016, 12:55 PM   #23
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by braumeister View Post
Nice catch, audreyh1! You're a tricky devil, aren't you?

That worked for me too.
Well - those are the hoops we had to jump through before. So we looked for the same links.
Old 12-13-2016, 01:02 PM   #24
Administrator

I just checked, and like last year, no sign of free TT for our account. Last year I sent an email asking why and they offered to refund my purchase, which they did. I'll send an email again this year.
MichaelB is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2016, 01:27 PM   #25
Recycles dryer sheets

Thank you. Was just looking for this today, but couldn't locate the screen where it used to be offered. Instead the offer is on the Accounts & Trade > Portfolio screen if you scroll down. As in the past, you click Get Started Now, then get to choose Online or Download by clicking See Products.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg tt1.jpg (34.6 KB, 42 views)
File Type: jpg tt2.jpg (16.1 KB, 34 views)
Done is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2016, 01:30 PM   #26

@audreyh1: It just occurred to me that I should probably clarify my "tricky devil" comment. It was meant as a compliment!
Old 12-13-2016, 01:34 PM   #27
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by braumeister View Post
@audreyh1: It just occurred to me that I should probably clarify my "tricky devil" comment. It was meant as a compliment!
No prob. But it's really TT who is the tricky devil. Someone showed me the way through the maze last year.
Old 12-13-2016, 01:56 PM   #28
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Quote:
  1. First we had to click on the link "get started now" under "Get Turbotax Online Premier Free".
  2. Then it takes you over to Intuit Turbotax site. And it has the Fidelity logo. And it you "start for free" or "sign in". But ignore all that. Below, to the right there is a download link. Click on "See Products".
  3. And that's where the various downloadable versions are listed. And Turbotax Premier is free, and others are discounted.

That worked for me - many thanks, audreyh1. Crazy convoluted though....
euro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2016, 03:50 PM   #29

Quote:
Originally Posted by MichaelB View Post
I just checked, and like last year, no sign of free TT for our account. Last year I sent an email asking why and they offered to refund my purchase, which they did. I'll send an email again this year.
Well, in your case I think the answer should be obvious.

But seriously, I had the same problem last year, and my rep said "Just go ahead and buy it and we'll reimburse you."

FIDO's customer service is light years beyond Vanguard, but it's still subject to the same vicissitudes any big company has to deal with. The local people are pretty damn good though, IMHO.
Old 12-13-2016, 05:50 PM   #30

Quote:
Originally Posted by broadway View Post
I must not have enough money in my account, because I don't see it.

Me too. I have over 800k and separately my wife over 150k, but we never get this offer. [emoji20]
Old 12-13-2016, 06:46 PM   #31
Recycles dryer sheets

Quote:
And where do you find "Get Turbotax Online Premier Free"? I don't see it.
Old 12-13-2016, 06:49 PM   #32

That link posted shows that to qualify for free tax software you need to spend $950 trading! (7.95*120). That's some expensive "free" software!

Quote:
Active Trader Services

Trades: 120+ stock, bond, or option trades in a 12-month period
Minimum balance: Maintain $25,000 in assets across your Fidelity accounts

If I click on https://dpcs.fidelity.com/prgw/dpcs/tax-information/ and scroll down, then hit "Learn more about Turbo Tax", I get the "up to $20 off" offer.

Code:
<a class="ng-binding" ng-click="$ctrl.takeToOutsideLink(taxresource.TaxResourceisExternalUrl,taxresource.TaxResourceisNewTab,taxresource.TaxResourceLinkUrl)">Learn more about TurboTax® <!-- ngIf: (taxresource.TaxResourceisNewTab ==='true') --></a>
And it's not like having a balance at Fidelity is doing anything ... the $20 off is for anybody strolling through:
Quote:
Why take advantage of this offer with Fidelity

• You'll get up to $20 off on TurboTax (both online and desktop versions), whether you are a current Fidelity customer or just visiting Fidelity.com
sengsational is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2016, 07:04 PM   #33
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cat-tirement View Post
And where do you find "Get Turbotax Online Premier Free"? I don't see it.
It was on our accounts overview page when we logged in. Look for the big Turbotax logo. And click "get started".

Get TurboTax® Online Premier free - next to logo

We didn't spend a big amount in trading fees, but we are Private Client Group.
Old 12-13-2016, 07:14 PM   #34

Worked for me. It appears they are trying to guide people to use the online version, but as audreyh1 pointed out, the download option is certainly there. Just go slow and read everything carefully before clicking. Same as last year.

It's my understanding that the free Premier is offered to Active Traders and Private Client Group (PCG). I have no idea what the criteria is for Active Traders, but I'm told PCG is $1M or more in combined family accounts.
Old 12-13-2016, 07:16 PM   #35
Full time employment: Posting here.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Al in Ohio View Post
Me too. I have over 800k and separately my wife over 150k, but we never get this offer. [emoji20]
With that much, you should get the offer. I'd ask them via chat.
broadway is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2016, 07:19 PM   #36

Quote:
Originally Posted by MichaelB View Post
I think this is the right approach. Or call your Fidelity Rep and maybe they can flip a bit somewhere, which would make you a "covered customer", and cause the offer to show-up.

I kind of doubt that those reporting free download have over 500 trades, but that's what the official line is. No mention of Private Client Group (PCG).
Attached Images
File Type: png fidelitychat.png (54.3 KB, 27 views)
Old 12-13-2016, 07:25 PM   #37

Quote:
+1. Just did that and I'm downloading it now.
Animorph is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2016, 07:39 PM   #38
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by sengsational View Post
I think this is the right approach. Or call your Fidelity Rep and maybe they can flip a bit somewhere, which would make you a "covered customer", and cause the offer to show-up.

I kind of doubt that those reporting free download have over 500 trades, but that's what the official line is. No mention of Private Client Group (PCG).
Well, I've never had more than a handful of trades a year, but been PCG, and this is our third year of free TT Premier, so IMO PCG is a qualifier.
Old 12-13-2016, 07:41 PM   #39
Recycles dryer sheets

Quote:
It was on our accounts overview page when we logged in. Look for the big Turbotax logo. And click "get started".

Get TurboTax® Online Premier free - next to logo

We didn't spend a big amount in trading fees, but we are Private Client Group.
Thanks. I guess we're not special enough, not being frequent trader nor PCG, since the 80% of our funds are in former 401k and Vanguard.
Old 12-13-2016, 07:46 PM   #40

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cat-tirement View Post
Thanks. I guess we're not special enough, not being frequent trader nor PCG, since the 80% of our funds are in former 401k and Vanguard.
Yep, I'm spread-out between the three as well. But my taxes were done on a copy of HR Block a month ago. And if I get my refund as an Amazon gift card, I get 1.1x my refund amount.