Portal Forums Links Register FAQ Community Calendar Log in

Join Early Retirement Today

Old 01-06-2009, 04:37 PM   #21
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by FUEGO View Post
Wow, just read a few posts from the Penelope Trunk blog. She seems unhappy overall. Maybe financially successful and a career success, but I would question whether she is successful on a personal level. I feel a little sorry for her and wish her the best.
Yeah, I have always had a soft spot in my heart for her. Even though she was an Olympic class Volley Ball player, for example, she has never let it "go to her head." And she has always had this inferiority complex

In any event, this post from the day after the Twin Towers collapsed (written shortly after I discovered her) sealed the deal. I have been a fan of hers ever since. (I should mention that it has been reformatted to fit her current BLOG and may have been more stunning back then.) Imagine drinking a toilet bowl full of water.

BTW, the comments from the readers of her blog are the most thought provoking of anything I have ever read... well almost ever.

(Yeow! I seem to have hi-jacked my own thread.)
RonBoyd is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 01-06-2009, 04:59 PM   #22
Give me a forum ...

This board loves to bash some poor dumb schmuck who has always been a poor dumb schmuck.

But I guess Penny or whatever her name is gets some points since she was once on top.

Not from me. Let her use skills gained in researching and writing "Making love to a man" to find and capture a sugar daddy.

Ha
Old 01-06-2009, 05:00 PM   #23
Moderator Emeritus

(OK, Ron, back on track now )

I've just read the first page or so of the OP blogs, but to me what's really sad about the Bag Lady blogs is that her first thoughts were of suicide, like the German billionnaire Merckle who just did himself in. What kind of values are these? The rich are very different than I, --losing money and a certain lifestyle are things that should lead one to take his own life.
Old 01-06-2009, 06:02 PM   #24
Recycles dryer sheets

While I haven't read any of the blogs yet, I must say that I feel bad for anyone who lost their rightful property (money) via a con man. It was her money and some crook stole it and that's just wrong regardless of how much money we're talking about.
bubba is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2009, 06:27 PM   #25
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by haha View Post
If I were writing a blog I could bore people to death with how happy I was, or entertain them by emphasizing the mess-ups and difficulties.
Different strokes for different folks, I guess. She grates on my nerves a bit for some reason. I think I am experiencing the psychological phenomenon of transference though, so the fault may be mine.

But she does seem to have a knack for engaging writing.
FUEGO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2009, 06:31 PM   #26
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by bubba View Post
While I haven't read any of the blogs yet, I must say that I feel bad for anyone who lost their rightful property (money) via a con man. It was her money and some crook stole it and that's just wrong regardless of how much money we're talking about.
Most definitely agree on this point. It was her money and she should not have been defrauded.

But I wonder what percentage of blame lies with her (and similar Madoff investors). What kind of due diligence did she conduct? I believe Madoff investors had to be accredited (meeting certain high mininum net worth and earnings thresholds). Being accredited doesn't necessarily entail higher levels of sophistication (based on personal experience with some bozo accredited investors). Sometimes there is no such thing as a free lunch (ie outsized risk free returns), and the buyer/investor should beware.
FUEGO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2009, 07:12 PM   #27
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Moemg View Post
Okay , am I the only one that feels a little sorry for her ? Yes, she is clueless to how the real world lives and she probably has enough in her jewelry collection to sell and provide some income but her world as she has known it for years is gone and it's not coming back. I've seen people like her many times who were raised in a super wealthy family and they have no clue how the rest of us possibly live .
No I feel a little sorry for her. She is one of the victims of Madoff madness, and I don't really blame her for sticking all her money with the guy based on the advice of smart successful friends.

I have more sympathy for her than the average "victim" because it sounds like she actually had a real working class job for a short period of time. Still I am pretty sure she will end up ok. She is entertaining writer, has tons of wealthy acquaintances, some of which may actually be friends.

Of course some perspective is in order. Of the 6.5 billion people on earth I bet at least 5 billion would trade places with her in a New York minute.

Penelope , on the other hand they don't make violins small enough.
clifp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2009, 07:18 PM   #28
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by clifp View Post
No I feel a little sorry for her. She is one of the victims of Madoff madness, and I don't really blame her for sticking all her money with the guy based on the advice of smart successful friends.

I have more sympathy for her than the average "victim" because it sounds like she actually had a real working class job for a short period of time. Still I am pretty sure she will end up ok. She is entertaining writer, has tons of wealthy acquaintances, some of which may actually be friends.

Of course some perspective is in order. Of the 6.5 billion people on earth I bet at least 5 billion would trade places with her in a New York.
...minute!
(sorry, I was oddly compelled to finish that one up for ya. )
I'm still trying to feel sorry for her. I just can't get there.
To me it's a case of "Run with the big dogs or get off the porch".
In plain English, if you must run with that kind of company, you will rise and fall accordingly. Otherwise, don't go there.
Old 01-06-2009, 08:03 PM   #29
Give me a forum ...

I read through all her blogs (the Madoff victim), partly because she's a good writer. A former magazine editor, she probably will be able to find a job.

Taking her blog at face value, why should you pile scorn on a woman who, having been successful with her career, decided to enjoy her savings and indulge herself in her artwork? Don't we forum members want to kick back, to let our money work for us, and spend time and money to travel or just to relax, than to be our own grease monkey for example? If we have the means, wouldn't we want to stay in nicer hotels (read the thread on Las Vegas travel)?

Now, she claimed to have done some menial work, and has risen up through her own labor, and also due to some luck that she admitted to. She also said to have done some charity work, which I take at face value. Her 40 white shirts, she said, have been accumulated since college (must be much better shirts than mine, which last nowhere as long).

Her main weakness is financial or specifically investment naivete. What has she done to rankle our forum members so much? Is it because of the luxurious environment that she seemed to have taken for granted? I am not so critical, though I have never been in that crowd.

Remember that her job required her to hob knob with the NewYork and Palm Beach elite. Of course you and I are not in that crowd, due to our more pedestrian work life. Be honest now. Don't you think the CEO, CFO, or COO of your company wouldn't take similarly luxurious life for granted? Or your so wonderful politician (insert your favorite one here) would be any different, despite what he/she says to get your vote?

In short, I can't say that I am moved by her story, but no schadenfreude here either.
NW-Bound is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2009, 10:33 PM   #30
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Okay , am I the only one that feels a little sorry for her ?
Yes.

The rest of us are admiring a professional who's working her craft (and her audience). She's writing to evoke a reaction, right? What else would she do-- post her old tax returns and her new budget spreadsheets?

Co-author (with my daughter) of “Raising Your Money-Savvy Family For Next Generation Financial Independence.”
Author of the book written on E-R.org: "The Military Guide to Financial Independence and Retirement."

I don't spend much time here— please send a PM.
Nords is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2009, 10:44 PM   #31
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nords View Post
Yes.

The rest of us are admiring a professional who's working her craft (and her audience). She's writing to evoke a reaction, right? What else would she do-- post her old tax returns and her new budget spreadsheets?
I am pretty sure doing that would have gotten her more sympathy, and of course 3 pages worth of suggestions from this crowd
clifp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2009, 11:24 PM   #32
Full time employment: Posting here.

I now have a new blog to read. Thanks!
And yes, I feel sorry for people who, through the unscrupulous dealings of others, are suddenly thrust into new and somewhat unpleasant financial circumstances. She'll get over it, but that doesn't mean it isn't painful for her now.
Old 01-08-2009, 02:33 AM   #33
Recycles dryer sheets

Quote:
Originally Posted by RonBoyd View Post
Penelope Trunk's blog is one of my favorite reads.
Thanks for this.

Quote:
Okay, am I the only one that feels a little sorry for her?
Her artwork "comments on the insatiable consumerism, greed, dishonesty, and the deformed and warped values of our time."
james22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2009, 09:45 AM   #34
Give me a forum ...

This paragraph makes me not be as empathetic:

I’ve lived a great and interesting life. I love beautiful things: high thread count sheets, old china, watches, jewelry, Hermes purses, and Louboutin shoes. I like expensive French milled soap, good wines, and white truffles. I have given extravagant gifts like diamond earrings. I traveled a lot. In this last year, I've been Laos, Cambodia, India, Russia, and Berlin for my first solo art show. Will I ever be able to explore exotic places again?

Sounds like she had a good life, not sure why she should get much sympathy. How many folks in the world have had as good a life as she has??

This Thread is USELESS without pics.........:)
FinanceDude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2009, 10:15 AM   #35
Give me a forum ...

The point is not that she had to scale down her life, it's how it happened -- if you can't trust your friends, who can you.

In my younger days, I managed 23 retail outlets spread over a relatively large geographic area for a very large conglomerate (120 largest world-wide). I quite often described my job as "juggling a bunch of balls with one hand while protecting my own with the other." The "Bag Lady" (PoRC) apparently didn't understand that concept.

I have empathy for her because she was out of her league but I don't put the blame on her for what happened to
her.
Old 01-08-2009, 10:45 AM   #36
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
I have empathy for her because she was out of her league but I don't put the blame on her for what happened to
her.
I understand her bitterness. However, in her search for sympathy and empathy she is going overboard. I read in her bio her mom is Greek royalty and her dad was a Harvard physician. She grew up in a tony WASP neighborhood in Connecticut.

This could be her FIRST real hard knock moment in her life. Pretty good for someone in her 50's.........

I have already lost track of how many times reality and life have dealt me serious blows, and I'm younger than her.......

Old 01-08-2009, 10:51 AM   #37
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by FinanceDude View Post
This could be her FIRST real hard knock moment in her life. ... I have already lost track of how many times reality and life have dealt me serious blows,
Point well taken. Another reminder that the "rich are different."
Old 01-08-2009, 10:52 AM   #38
Give me a forum ...

My favorite part is that I can't quite tell if it is a lampoon. It makes me almost laugh. It isn't a good enough lampoon to quite do that, but it's in the neighborhood.

Ha
Old 01-08-2009, 10:54 AM   #39
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
In my younger days, I managed 23 retail outlets spread over a relatively large geographic area for a very large conglomerate (120 largest world-wide). I quite often described my job as "juggling a bunch of balls with one hand while protecting my own with the other."
That might be one of my new favorite quotes! I love it...except I don't have any myself. But I was told in my youth by a friend that I walked like I had a pair!

Sarah in SC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2009, 10:56 AM   #40
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sarah in SC View Post
But I was told in my youth by a friend that I walked like I had a pair!