Join Early Retirement Today

Old 04-19-2017, 03:12 AM   #81
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

The words in Posting #1 about living the conservative life are right on the money. But when you start quoting Dave Ramsey, I always think about his Brentwood, TN palatial mansion and 4 story office complex with television studio he says are all paid for.

I'm honestly surprised that my menial salaries throughout 36 years' work allowed me to accumulate what investments I have. I've lived below my means and been more like a cross between Suze Orman and Dave Ramsey.

Not eating out more than once a week is why I'm sitting in Budapest, Hungary right now writing this message.

I married a gal that grew up in a 2 bedroom apartment with 5 kids sleeping in a 10' x 10' bedroom. No car, no telephone, no television until 15 years of age and it was even black and white. Mom would take a chicken and feed 7 people 3 meals. They never had milk or purchased sugar. Her father made twice a normal salary at the railroad and drank it away--on the way home. He left behind 4 screwed up kids who averaged 3 kids apiece and both generations as individuals are disfunctional.

My wife was a Krystal waitress at age 16, and that's still her favorite place to eat--when we eat out. She's the postgirl for frugal. And we're living the good life as a result.
Bamaman is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 04-19-2017, 04:17 AM   #82
Give me a forum ...

But, it doesn't matter how many people show up after I'm dead. What matters is, are there people you can count on when you're alive, and need help? Hoping that was true for your generous cousin.

Quote:
Originally Posted by kcowan View Post
My cousin was in that category. He just enjoyed giving. When he died at 74, 650 people showed up for his funeral. It was a record. The good will that he had generated was amazing.
Amethyst is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2017, 07:18 AM   #83
Dryer sheet wannabe

Most people tend to live paycheck to paycheck, to keep up with the Jones. Never met the Jones, but I have lived outside my means for a while.
I am paying things off though, and my wife and my plan are to be debt free in about 7 years, due to college for youngest. She starts next year, and we will do some serious scholarship requests etc..
I take advice on frugality whenever I can..
Steve40th is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2017, 10:53 AM   #84
Give me a forum ...

Send a message via Skype™ to kcowan
Quote:
Originally Posted by W2R View Post
I just tried this little exercise, which was fun (thanks!). Not having two homes, I looked at other options in the event that my stash declined by 50%.

I discovered that I'd need to increase my WR to 3.4% to spend what I normally spend. So that is not so bad. But the catch is that any future CCRC thoughts might have to be tabled forever, unless I could scrape together enough money for it by selling my house and from my usual spending money. Doesn't sound like a gold plated CCRC would ever be in my future, if my stash declined by 50%. Maybe I could afford a cheaper one with abusive help, stale food, and so on.

Of course I am hoping that "Plan A" (aging in place) works out and that I don't need "Plan B" (a CCRC).
The notion was actually raised by Dale Carnegie in his vintage book: "How to stop worrying and start living". He said to think of what is the worst that could happen, plan on how you would deal with it and then STOP WORRYING! Ironically, it encouraged me to take more risks with my life and consequently achieve much greater heights.

We have good friends who live in PV MX year round and their stash is about 25% of ours. They are getting along quite well. They have a tight budget but they also get a lot of enjoyment.
Old 04-19-2017, 10:58 AM   #85
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Quote:
The notion was actually raised by Dale Carnegie in his vintage book: "How to stop worrying and start living". He said to think of what is the worst that could happen, plan on how you would deal with it and then STOP WORRYING! Ironically, it encouraged me to take more risks with my life and consequently achieve much greater heights.
Good advice. I'm inherently an optimist and not a worry'er. Have taken financial risks that most people wouldn't. Has worked out marvellously so far. Probably luck, but that's OK with me.
Danmar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2017, 11:01 AM   #86
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by NW-Bound View Post
I wonder if we are getting complacent again after several years of bull market. People's collective memory is really short.
I remember thinking that it was lucky we had bought our snowbird place in 2007. We might have deferred it or cut back on the size (1750) and then regretted it after the recovery.
Old 04-19-2017, 11:15 AM   #87
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Amethyst View Post
What matters is, are there people you can count on when you're alive, and need help? Hoping that was true for your generous cousin.
Through a fluke of generations, this cousin was old enough to be my uncle. When I was in grade 8, I was farmed out there for the week that my parents were on a convention. He had me dig post holes (manual digger) for his fence. We got the whole fence done while I was there. But he was one of the most generous, caring people I have met. My Dad loved him like a brother. I drove my Dad out to spend the day with him a month before my cousin died.
Old 04-19-2017, 11:36 AM   #88
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nemo2 View Post
We'd likely forego all/most travel while we recalibrate.
If the s**t really hit the fan, that's probably what I would do too.
Meadbh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2017, 12:14 PM   #89
Dryer sheet wannabe

Quote:

We have good friends who live in PV MX year round and their stash is about 25% of ours. They are getting along quite well. They have a tight budget but they also get a lot of enjoyment.
Great advice, but he had so much money his great grand-daughter is still spending it.. Makes some things a little easier.
But, it is still good advice.
Steve40th is offline   Reply With Quote