Portal Forums Links Register FAQ Community Calendar Log in

Join Early Retirement Today

Old 04-15-2008, 08:08 PM   #21
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by mn54 View Post
The one nice feature of the sonicaire is the automatic timer. You would be amazed at the number of people who spend less than two minutes brushing their teeth. The timer beeps every 30 seconds to tell you to switch quadrants.
Where do you draw the line between enough brushing to clean your teeth, and too much brushing eroding your gums?

-ERD50
ERD50 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 04-16-2008, 12:00 AM   #22
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by TromboneAl View Post
Young: Discuss fast cars and women.
Old: Discuss toothbrushes and plaque.
Dave Barry commented a while back that these days he earnestly discusses the benefits of a high-fiber diet with the same people whom 20 years ago he used to swim with after midnight while drunk, stoned, & naked...

Quote:
Originally Posted by cute fuzzy bunny View Post
In other news, a home in Hawaii burned to the ground today. Investigators suspect a fire started by an old battery leaking into a charger and being accelerated by alcohol which was inexplicably stored in a toothbrush handle.
The other day spouse dropped the remote control of our early-1990s Hitachi VHS VCR, bought off Craigslist a few years back for $25. When she picked it up it was hot enough for her to drop it again. It turned out that the previous owner had a few connectivity issues in the battery compartment that he'd "fixed" with strips of aluminum foil. By the time I reported to the scene (in proper damage-control attire) one AA battery was hot enough to start leaking-- it stained the oven mitt.

So I may be cheap, but I can still do the cost-benefit analysis of flammable bargains...

Co-author (with my daughter) of “Raising Your Money-Savvy Family For Next Generation Financial Independence.”
Author of the book written on E-R.org: "The Military Guide to Financial Independence and Retirement."

I don't spend much time here— please send a PM.
Nords is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2008, 07:53 AM   #23
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nords View Post
Dave Barry commented a while back that these days he earnestly discusses the benefits of a high-fiber diet with the same people whom 20 years ago he used to swim with after midnight while drunk, stoned, & naked...
Bumper sticker: Back in the 70s you did acid, now you won't eat white bread

...not doing anything of true substance...
HFWR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2008, 11:28 AM   #24
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Quote:
Originally Posted by ERD50 View Post
Where do you draw the line between enough brushing to clean your teeth, and too much brushing eroding your gums?

-ERD50
Im assuming my dentist has my best interests in mind. I don't second guess her when she tells me my teeth are great and gums are beautiful. My teeth are in her hands.
Notmuchlonger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2008, 12:49 PM   #25
Gone but not forgotten

Send a message via AIM to Khan
Quote:
Originally Posted by ERD50 View Post

-ERD50
My electric toothbrush has a little timer that tells one when time is up; and it assumes brushing twice a day.
Old 04-16-2008, 12:56 PM   #26
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Notmuchlonger View Post
Im assuming my dentist has my best interests in mind. I don't second guess her when she tells me my teeth are great and gums are beautiful. My teeth are in her hands.
My teeth are in a cup on the bathroom counter...

But they look great...

"May I have an Orafix?"

"Not without a note, hell no..."

George Carlin

Old 04-16-2008, 03:09 PM   #27

Look on the bright side! No more worries about cavities!
ladelfina is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2008, 04:10 PM   #28
Gone but not forgotten

I 'm wondering if there is something special about Sonicare to warrant the cost . I've had Sonicare and Braun and I really do not see any difference. Is there one besides price ?
Moemg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2008, 04:23 PM   #29
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by HFWR View Post
Bumper sticker: Back in the 70s you did acid, now you won't eat white bread

I must find this bumper stick for my sister. Please tell me where you saw it.
clifp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2008, 06:07 PM   #30
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by Moemg View Post
I 'm wondering if there is something special about Sonicare to warrant the cost . I've had Sonicare and Braun and I really do not see any difference. Is there one besides price ?
I think you've just answered your own question...

Co-author (with my daughter) of “Raising Your Money-Savvy Family For Next Generation Financial Independence.”
Author of the book written on E-R.org: "The Military Guide to Financial Independence and Retirement."

I don't spend much time here— please send a PM.
Nords is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2008, 06:52 PM   #31

I never priced a Sonic Care verse a Braun. I head to the dentist she says yes good or no bad. They were good and I didnt need to spend another 120 dollars for periodontal cleaning. So to me the 120 or whatever bucks I paid for the Sonic Care which has lasted 2 years so far acceptable. I maybe over paying but when It comes to my choppers I am not screwing around. I do not squabble with my health on teeth or other various body parts. Chump change in the scheme of things.
Old 04-16-2008, 07:04 PM   #32
Give me a forum ...

No matter the toothbrushing apparatus, flossing is more important to gum health.

Old 04-16-2008, 07:08 PM   #33

Quote:
Originally Posted by HFWR View Post
No matter the toothbrushing apparatus, flossing is more important to gum health.
Totally agree on that! Every time I head head to the dentist its like being hounded by my mother. Are you flossing? The thing is they know too! They poke to see if you bleed or not. But they test you anyways. Im wise to their little trickery...

Crap sorry got off into some weird mode..
Old 04-16-2008, 07:10 PM   #34
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Notmuchlonger View Post
Totally agree on that! Every time I head head to the dentist its like being hounded by my mother. Are you flossing? The thing is they know too! They poke to see if you bleed or not. But they test you anyways. Im wise to their little trickery...

Crap sorry got off into some weird mode..
I had to send the perio's kids to Harvard to figure that out...

Old 04-16-2008, 07:27 PM   #35

OK OK I'LL FLOSSS!!!!!!! (argh.) I only think to do it every so often.. some times a few times a week.. then I regress for several months.
ladelfina is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2008, 07:32 PM   #36
Give me a forum ...

Hmmm, I've tried both the braun and sonicare and frankly hated the sonicare. Didnt seem to clean my teeth as well as the braun.

I never floss unless I've got something stuck in my teeth, yet the dentist has always congratulated me on my excellent flossing. They usually have almost nothing to do as far as cleaning goes. Seems the braun does an excellent job in between teeth and at preventing calculus buildup.

My first Braun lasted about 9 years until the battery finally got weak and I became disgusted at using a 9 year old power head. My second one is still going well 6 years after I bought it and has been passed down to my 3 year old. My wife and I got in on a two-fer at costco for the super fancy version of the braun with an LED readout and multiple speeds and we've had those for a little over a year now.
Be fearful when others are greedy, and greedy when others are fearful. Just another form of "buy low, sell high" for those who have trouble with things. This rule is not universal. Do not buy a 1973 Pinto because everyone else is afraid of it.
cute fuzzy bunny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2008, 08:57 AM   #37
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
I used to bad about flossing, and I had a trick to fool the dentist. Don't try this at home: My PalmPilot would alert me when a dentist visit was coming up in two weeks, and I'd start flossing like crazy. It worked like a charm. No bleeding, and compliments on my good flossing. I was a bad person.

But now, I have floss by the couch, and do it every night while watching TV. Floss, that is. I can accept the compliments without guilt.
Old 04-17-2008, 09:02 AM   #38
Give me a forum ...

I use a Braun rotary, and will continue to use it until the dang thing dies, then I'll revisit...

But I can brush AND rinse, and still get "stuff" from between my teeth by flossing. So I'll continue to waste 60 seconds or so flossing.

Old 04-17-2008, 09:08 PM   #39

Quote:
Originally Posted by spncity View Post
Yes, but ...

Have you looked inside that Sonicare lately? The way it is designed it's easy for it to retain moisture and grow mold in there. Yuck. Talked to the dental hygienist about it and he says the top part (not the battery part) can be cleaned in the dishwasher.

Often I just take it apart at night so it can dry out.
Definitely need to rinse these things out thoroughly (once a week at minimum) - a little slosh of an antiseptic mouthwash in both pieces also helps keep the yuck from growing & sticking.

I always leave the top off when not in use.
Old 04-18-2008, 12:13 AM   #40

My Dw takes care of that part. But ya it can get yucky if you let it.