Frugal Woman dies, leaves 35 Million to charity

MasterBlaster

Thinks s/he gets paid by the post
< This woman never learned the 4 % SWR - MB >

CORAL GABLES, Fla. - A 100-year-old woman who quietly amassed a vast fortune before her death last year left $35.6 million to local diabetes and cancer research.

Eugenia Dodson donated two-thirds of the money to the University of Miami’s Diabetes Research Institute, the largest gift in its 35-year history. The rest goes to the university’s Sylvester Comprehensive Cancer Center.

I hope she enjoyed her life and spent accordingly.

I'd hate to think she deprived herself or her family/loved ones just to leave money to charity.

The magic of compounding. Save $5000/year every year for 80 years. Average 8% returns. Die with $35M at age 100.

I feel that whatever a person does with her money, other than having the government take it away or having it stolen must necessarily be among the decisions most likely to reflect that persons wishes taken as a whole.

Unless she was rich from birth, or a big executive, obviously she engaged in what many of us might consider deprivation. Was she more deprived than many another LBYMer? Who knows, but her use of the money seems 100% laudable. And if it weren't, it is fortunately her business.

Ha

Here is perhaps the most miserly miser of all. I read somewhere that her son had to have his leg amputated because she refused to pay the hospital fees, but Wikipedia tells that particular story slightly differently.

Well, sounds like she made good use of her money to me! So what if it was after she died.

Audrey

wab said:
The magic of compounding. Save $5000/year every year for 80 years. Average 8% returns. Die with $35M at age 100.

Of course, saving $5000 in 1926 (in the middle of the depression), would have been quite a feat ..that would be like socking away $55K in today's dollars...even harder considering in 1926 she would have been just 20 years old.

$35M is hard to accumulate anyway you cut it...I suspect it wasn't just good old LBYM.

OldMcDonald said:
$35M is hard to accumulate anyway you cut it...I suspect it wasn't just good old LBYM.

Dodson, born Eugenia Johnson, grew up in small-town Minnesota and followed a girlfriend's dare to move to Tampa at 19 and, at 20, to Miami. She met her husband, J. Enloe Dodson, a Miami civil engineer and businessman on a train in Washington D.C. They married in 1943 and never had children.

Dodson owned 40 percent of an oolitic limestone quarry with members of the prominent Belcher Oil Co. family. When he died in 1949, Eugenia Dodson received his interest in the company and valuable land it owned.

So, instead of saving $5000/year, she inherited a small fortune. Either way, I bet compounding over 80 years didn't hurt. :)

It's said that if you die with a dollar in your wallet, it was a dollar you didn't need. ::)

kowski said:
It's said that if you die with a dollar in your wallet, it was a dollar you didn't need. ::)

Another way to look at it is, depending on how you lived and died, it was a dollar you didn't know how to use.

She DID use the money! She just waited until she died to spend it.

Audrey

retire@40 said:
Another way to look at it is, depending on how you lived and died, it was a dollar you didn't know how to use.

Or a dollar you might have been very happy to have, had a need come along at the end of your life.

No kids...that would explain a lot...I'd be retired now if I hadn't had to pay for kids

Lazy Jack said:
No kids...that would explain a lot...I'd be retired now if I hadn't had to pay for kids

Sure, you would undoubtedly have $35 million too. Everyone on this board with no kids has $35,000,000.

It's mostly the tuition that sops up all that money.

Ha

HaHa said:
Sure, you would undoubtedly have $35 million too. Everyone on this board with no kids has $35,000,000.

It's mostly the tuition that sops up all that money.

Ha

i don't mean to highjack this thread but I read once about how much on average it costs a family to raise each child up untill I believe it was the age of 21. Does anyone ever remember that?

MD:

If you include a stay at home mom's lost wages, the BIG house, and the price of college the sum can be outrageous. If you include their Blueblood trust fund then the cost is astronomical.

If you just dress em' in hand-me down clothes and feed em' beans then they aren't that bad.

What I read was based on a place to stay, clothing, food, education, gifts, health care, daycare, etc.

My Dream said:
What I read was based on a place to stay, clothing, food, education, gifts, health care, daycare, etc.
I think the number was around $250K.

The first time.

Summer jobs for the kids and state schools can really lower the cost of getting a college education.
At the risk of starting an issue....In my many years in the corporate world - once you had the job..it did'nt matter where you went to school - it was how you performed. Many MBAs were passed up by BAs because of performance and insight.

Cumulative cost per child to age 18:

Up to $41,700 of family income $134,370 Two Children $166,619 Only Child
$41,700 to $70,200 of family income $184,320 Two Children $228,557 Only Child
Over $70,200 of family income $269,520 Two Children $334,205 Only Child

Source: Expenditures On Children By Families (2004), USDA.

http://www.investopedia.com/articles/pf/06/kidsorcash.asp

OldMcDonald said:
Of course, saving $5000 in 1926 (in the middle of the depression), would have been quite a feat ..that would be like socking away $55K in today's dollars...even harder considering in 1926 she would have been just 20 years old.

Considering how the stock market did in the 30s & 40s, I don't think you can get an 8% return during that time period.

My parents owe me some money.
When the child labor guy ask my Dad about how much i was worked, he answered "all I can get out of him." That is why i ER'd, I grew up in a family business with progressive chores as I grew bigger, just like farm kids. That is why kids leave the farm, they are motivated to get a better job and an easier life.

Back
Top Bottom