Join Early Retirement Today

Old 07-19-2010, 10:28 AM   #61
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by haha View Post
My way is to put it into a couple shopping bags, load it into my pack and take it to Annabella the cute woman at the commercial shred-shop. I practicaly lust for some more crap to fill up my bags sooner.

Ha

You're way ahead oh me on this RE game. I've resisted having an office at home until now. The deep storage file cabinet is now deep in the back of the closet. Now that I got four pieces of furniture out, I'm planning on putting a functional office in the closet. My quarterly shredding takes only about a half hour after I retreive the shredder and re-arrange the furniture. Re-doing the closet could take weeks.
CuppaJoe is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 07-19-2010, 10:57 AM   #62
Moderator Emeritus

You are all so efficient! I need to work on sorting out what I can shred, or not (again).

Happily retired since 2009, at age 61. Best years of my life by far!
W2R is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2010, 11:02 AM   #63
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Back in the daze, I had a shoe box for paperwork. Now, I have a four drawer filing cabinet.
Old 07-19-2010, 11:53 AM   #64
Give me a forum ...

Send a message via Skype™ to kcowan
Quote:
Originally Posted by Khan View Post
The other day I was at the local grocery store and marveled at all the types of potato chips.
I've fixed that problem. I don't buy any!
Old 07-19-2010, 12:39 PM   #65
Gone but not forgotten

Send a message via AIM to Khan
Quote:
Originally Posted by kcowan View Post
I've fixed that problem. I don't buy any!
I didn't. I do buy potato chips once a year or so.
Old 07-19-2010, 12:57 PM   #66
Give me a forum ...

It is true, that if you have the money to buy something, you then have to do the research to decide exactly what to buy.

But that is only stressful if you are in a hurry.

Now, I need to get back to populating my empty house.......

Audrey
Old 07-19-2010, 01:11 PM   #67
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Quote:
Originally Posted by traineeinvestor View Post
I also enjoy the annual task of weeding out and shredding old financial records. It's a great feeling stuffing a couple of folders of paper through the shredding machine.
I'm doing this with over 20 years worth of financial records and wish I'd done it sooner. When younger, I saved all receipts and all real estate paperwork without giving thought to what could be tossed and what should be kept. I just kept everything. I'm now hanging on to the essential stuff and shredding everything else.

I'm looking forward to my tax returns becoming simpler as I age. It really is a good feeling to simplify!
Major Tom is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2010, 03:23 PM   #68
Give me a forum ...

Yeah, when we got rid of our house, I spent days and two shredders getting rid of so many old files! You always wish you had done it years ago!

Audrey
Old 07-19-2010, 03:55 PM   #69
Give me a forum ...

Shredders, Pffft. What a waste of time and energy. Just throw it in the trash and enjoy a Margarita or something.
RonBoyd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2010, 04:03 PM   #70
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Quote:
Originally Posted by RonBoyd View Post
Shredders, Pffft. What a waste of time and energy. Just throw it in the trash and enjoy a Margarita or something.
I always shred anything that has my social security number on, and while I'm at it, often also shred other documents with personal information on too.

However I'm well aware that I do this mainly for my own (false) sense of security. With all the forms I've filled out over the years with my SS number and other personal pieces of information - who knows where those bits of paper are now? Maybe some of them have been shredded, maybe others were just thrown in the trash, perhaps some are lying in stacks in some office or warehouse somewhere. All it takes is a dishonest employee somewhere to go on a binge collecting other people's SS numbers.

So I shred things to make myself feel as if I'm doing my small part to protect my information, fully aware that it's probably not helping much
Major Tom is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2010, 04:18 PM   #71
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Major Tom View Post
So I shred things to make myself feel as if I'm doing my small part to protect my information, fully aware that it's probably not helping much
Okay. It's the same warm fuzzy feeling I get from a Margarita. Another prime example of YMMV.
RonBoyd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2010, 08:15 AM   #72
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by unclemick View Post
heh heh heh - the shear joy of being a cheap SOB has to be experienced to be believed. .
Quote:
Originally Posted by NW-Bound View Post
Finally, people are admitting that counting money can be more fun than spending it!

Many descendants and relatives of Scrooge McDuck here! We might be all related.
Quote:
Originally Posted by rescueme View Post
Sure are (Quack!)...
Quote:
Originally Posted by FUEGO View Post
Frugality gives people the financial resources to be able to stand up for oneself even if it means you get canned.
Quote:
Originally Posted by haha View Post
More stuff can quickly become a problem. But more money?
Quote:
Originally Posted by Khan View Post
As I get older I want less.
Money is much more exciting than anything it buys. -Mignon McLaughlin

"Those Who Can Make You Believe Absurdities Can Make You Commit Atrocities" - Voltaire (1694-1778)
NW-Bound is offline   Reply With Quote