Join Early Retirement Today

Old 05-02-2017, 07:58 AM   #121
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

My four year old cell phone has been malfunctioning. Battery discharges quickly and randomly.

My Cell Provider says battery is no long available, switch to a newer, better phone and of course a more expensive monthly plan (only use cell occasionally,no data). The provider also said that an OEM battery was not longer available.

Turned out to be an $10. fix. Ordered an OEM battery on Amazon. Solved the problem.
brett is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 05-02-2017, 08:04 AM   #122
gone traveling

Quote:
Originally Posted by brett View Post
My four year old cell phone has been malfunctioning. Battery discharges quickly and randomly.

My Cell Provider says battery is no long available, switch to a newer, better phone and of course a more expensive monthly plan (only use cell occasionally,no data). The provider also said that an OEM battery was not longer available.

Turned out to be an $10. fix. Ordered an OEM battery on Amazon. Solved the problem.
Smart!

Even in these days of disposable appliances and planned obsolescence, it makes sense to try to fix things that are otherwise worth keeping.

(And Amazon has just about everything. They are always worth a check.)
joeea is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2017, 08:05 AM   #123
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by ERD50 View Post
I've read this too, and you would think insurance companies would include a reminder in their bills. I'd actually appreciate that, it's easy to forget stuff like that that is an annual thing and out of site.

-ERD50
I have a simple spreadsheet for long term items like this. The cell in the "next job" column goes red when it is overdue.

Who is going to remember to replace the alarm battery every 5 years? And it is a rare bird among us that has improved memory with aging. Now if you will excuse me, I just saw I have to replace the battery in my sprinkler controller.
Lsbcal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2017, 08:10 AM   #124
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by brett View Post

Sometimes cleaning the battery contacts will fix issues like this. But a 4 year old battery could well be due for replacement anyhow.

-ERD50
ERD50 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2017, 08:12 AM   #125
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lsbcal View Post
I have a simple spreadsheet for long term items like this. The cell in the "next job" column goes red when it is overdue.

Who is going to remember to replace the alarm battery every 5 years? And it is a rare bird among us that has improved memory with aging. Now if you will excuse me, I just saw I have to replace the battery in my sprinkler controller.
I made a simple one like that for bills. Good idea to add little tasks like this as well.

-ERD50
ERD50 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2017, 08:25 AM   #126
Give me a forum ...

Quote:

This reminds me of a fella I used to w*rk with in Texas. He would come in about an hour early to work on a list that he created from a website that had about 1,000 tasks on it and I would have guessed that about 800 were overdue. And the extra hour wasn't spent actually accomplishing anything on the list, it was updated or adding new tasks to it!
Old 05-02-2017, 08:32 AM   #127
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sojourner View Post
My Kenmore dryer takes a minimum of 90 minutes to get most things fully dry, and even longer for thick stuff like jeans.
I am thinking you have some issue going on besides just wet clothes. We had the newer front load W/D for about a year and got rid of them because of the slow wash time (about 100 minutes for a normal load) and random staining from the detergent. The dryer worked well, about 40 minutes. Anyway, we replaced them with the old school (probably 2005'ish model) auger style and the wash takes 35 minutes for normal load or 40 minutes for extra-spin (do this with towels) and the drying time is 50 minutes for normal loads and right at 60 minutes for towels. Anyway, 90 minutes is a long time for a medium load, so I would make sure the entire length (and exhaust point) of the vent was clear.

As to energy use, we get a daily email of energy use and when we do 4 loads (two darks, one towels and one bedding) the total electrical cost is in the neighborhood of $3. When we had the "HE" front loading setup, the cost was exactly the same.
Old 05-02-2017, 08:37 AM   #128
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by ExFlyBoy5 View Post
This reminds me of a fella I used to w*rk with in Texas. He would come in about an hour early to work on a list that he created from a website that had about 1,000 tasks on it and I would have guessed that about 800 were overdue. And the extra hour wasn't spent actually accomplishing anything on the list, it was updated or adding new tasks to it!
In my defense, there are only about 40 tasks on this list. The other short term tasks are on another sheet and take up about 25 lines. For me, it reduces the anxiety level. But yes, occasionally there are several red cells.
Old 05-02-2017, 09:09 AM   #129
Give me a forum ...

Re slow dryers, our apartment has a electric drier that took forever to dry anything. I pulled the hose off the wall entry and stuck it into one of those ends with water in the bottom to catch fine lint. It cut drying time dramatically, but cleaning and adding water was a pain. Switched to a pair of panty hose and all is good. We are moving this month so we won't have to deal with it in the summer. All winter it supplied heat and humidity, perfect for Michigan.
travelover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2017, 10:28 AM   #130
Give me a forum ...

Location: Spending the Kids Inheritance and living in Chicago
Quote:
Originally Posted by Walt34 View Post
I tried that about 15 years ago and bought a screen thing that went in the dryer vent intending to use it in the winter to recapture the heat and moisture. The screen mesh was pretty fine, but still I got lots of dryer lint in the basement room with the dryer so I took it out. Great idea, but at least at the time it didn't work out well in practice.
I did the same when I lived in a cold climate, the lint dust (much finer than what the dryer screen catches) was not nice. Sometimes the humidity got too high as well with water on the windows.
I removed it after a while.
Sunset is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2017, 11:42 AM   #131
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Has anyone used one of the new ventless driers?
mpeirce is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2017, 12:53 PM   #132
Give me a forum ...

Send a message via Skype™ to kcowan
Quote:
In my defense, there are only about 40 tasks on this list. The other short term tasks are on another sheet and take up about 25 lines. For me, it reduces the anxiety level. But yes, occasionally there are several red cells.
Why not share your list here. Maybe we can develop a comprehensive list of household things not to forget!

Just returned from 6 months in Mexico and my mantle clock had stopped. Cleaned the contacts and replaced the battery. Nothing. Needed a small dose of WD40.

In Mexico, I take out all the batteries from remotes and put them in the fridge.
Old 05-02-2017, 02:05 PM   #133
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by kcowan View Post
Why not share your list here. Maybe we can develop a comprehensive list of household things not to forget!

Just returned from 6 months in Mexico and my mantle clock had stopped. Cleaned the contacts and replaced the battery. Nothing. Needed a small dose of WD40.

In Mexico, I take out all the batteries from remotes and put them in the fridge.
That would be a good idea for a new thread. If you start it, I'll contribute.
Old 05-02-2017, 02:11 PM   #134

Quote:
Originally Posted by mpeirce View Post
Has anyone used one of the new ventless driers?
Interestingly when my parents first got a dryer in 1953 it had a screen that you could put in to run it unvented.
meierlde is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2017, 02:41 PM   #135

Quote:
Originally Posted by kcowan View Post
Reminds me of a corkboard I had in the kitchen of the old house. It was a drawing of the "Ziggy" cartoon character and the sentence "Stuff I gotta remember not to forget". When I got married the new wife didn't like it so it came down.
Old 05-02-2017, 06:49 PM   #136

Please remember that gas dryer exhaust is carbon dioxide, water and small amounts of carbon monoxide. CO has a greater affinity for hemoglobin.......
Winemaker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2017, 07:58 PM   #137
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Winemaker View Post
Please remember that gas dryer exhaust is carbon dioxide, water and small amounts of carbon monoxide. CO has a greater affinity for hemoglobin.......

I don't think anyone is proposing not venting a gas dryer, but point taken.
travelover is offline   Reply With Quote