Join Early Retirement Today

Old 08-21-2021, 02:17 PM   #21
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steeler75 View Post
Been dealing with the IRS over the past 4 months. They never allocated my Q4 estimated tax payment for 2020 and said I owe $10k plus penalties and late fees. Also receive the monthly update on addition accrued penalties and threats of confiscation and liens.

Best time to get through on the phone is Friday morning or after 3pm local. Only time I’ve been able to get through the phone tree to talk to someone. Have sent in my replies via certified mail with copies of transaction confirmation and bank statements that illustrate payment was made.

Last phone contact finally made some progress, the money was found in excess tax payments due to a transposed number in my SS. Contact couldn’t issue any validation or email confirming that the payment was made either, just, call back in a few weeks to confirm. Huge pain in the butt.
Well, at least you are making progress. Everything I have sent in during the past two years has not been read by anyone from what I can tell. Covid shutdowns caused a part of this though.
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 08-21-2021, 04:09 PM   #22
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

I have dealt with many frustrating issues such as this with IRS. I do not think you need a tax attorney or a CPA. You have all the facts in your side.

I thought Cathy had a good idea above. But in addition, i would keep responding to each and every letter, noting and attaching copies of prior correspondence as appropriate.

I would send all correspondence via FAX and FEDEX. And keep calling. Eventually it will be solved when you get someone who cares enough to solve it.

Copying your Congressman on the letter might help.

I dealt with a series of payroll tax notices alleging hundreds of thousands of dollars of underpayments plus penalty and Interest. It took probably 18 months after I got it to resolve it (issue was 5 years old).

What finally resolved it? I messengers a tabbed binder with all prior correspondence to the IRS office listed on latest notice. It was a file about an inch and a half thick. Cover letter asked them to call me upon receipt.

They do not get packages like that all the time, so it got attention. A lady called me and a few weeks later it was resolved. That is what you want.

You will run up a crazy bill with CPAs and tax attorneys for a clerical task. I would not do that.

Good luck.
Montecfo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2021, 05:05 PM   #23
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by Montecfo View Post
I have dealt with many frustrating issues such as this with IRS. I do not think you need a tax attorney or a CPA. You have all the facts in your side.

I thought Cathy had a good idea above. But in addition, i would keep responding to each and every letter, noting and attaching copies of prior correspondence as appropriate.

I would send all correspondence via FAX and FEDEX. And keep calling. Eventually it will be solved when you get someone who cares enough to solve it.

Copying your Congressman on the letter might help.

I dealt with a series of payroll tax notices alleging hundreds of thousands of dollars of underpayments plus penalty and Interest. It took probably 18 months after I got it to resolve it (issue was 5 years old).

What finally resolved it? I messengers a tabbed binder with all prior correspondence to the IRS office listed on latest notice. It was a file about an inch and a half thick. Cover letter asked them to call me upon receipt.

They do not get packages like that all the time, so it got attention. A lady called me and a few weeks later it was resolved. That is what you want.

You will run up a crazy bill with CPAs and tax attorneys for a clerical task. I would not do that.

Good luck.
It is just literally astounding how the IRS ignores citizens that are trying to resolve issues. It's no wonder the crooks get away with filing false tax returns, not paying taxes, etc.

My CPA that passed away that was helping me was my SIL's husband who had been dealing with the IRS in California for years on large corporate accounts in Silicon Valley. He told me before he passed away that even dealing on that high a level was no different than what I am going through. Since we were family, he was helping me free gratis.
Old 11-05-2021, 01:34 PM   #24
Moderator Emeritus

UPDATE: There is a GOD!

This is an update to my ongoing 2.5 year IRS communications on trying to get the IRS to acknowledge that I, in fact, filed a timely 5500 EZ Tax Return in 2017 when we closed our SOLO 401K. Also I am asking that they waive the $15,000 penlty.

Numerous letter, calls, faxes, agent discussions, etc had led me to make this thread (looking for advice) and eventually the advice led to my filing a complete set of correspondence documents in September with the local IRS Tax Advocate service.

Note: I was not able to reach the local IRS Tax Advocate service by phone ever since I stared calling in September. I couldn't even leave a voice message so I gave up after a couple of weeks of calling. Because of that, I was not able to make an appointment to see them in person. Actually, I have not heard back from the advocate service as of yet, although I have a return receipt indicating they received the documents I sent them.

What worked:

In February, 2021, I spoke with an agent on a random call I made since the pandemic was still going on and he advised me to send a facsimile that contained a minimum of information (short letter) and copies of the first return and postal return receipt. He provided me a FAX number and I sent the package off. Silence for months........

Today, I received a one page letter from the IRS acknowledging the fact that I sent in a timely tax return and saying that the fine and interest charges are waived. They also apologized for my inconvenience. This was in response to the Fax of February 2021.

Well, that was good news!
Old 11-05-2021, 01:52 PM   #25
Give me a forum ...

That's great! Glad that, after all that time,pain, and inconvenience, this adventure is over.
Old 11-05-2021, 01:53 PM   #26

Quote:
Originally Posted by aja8888 View Post
Today, I received a one page letter from the IRS acknowledging the fact that I sent in a timely tax return and saying that the fine and interest charges are waived. They also apologized for my inconvenience. This was in response to the Fax of February 2021.
Congratulations! I closed mine in 2013 and filed a timely 5500-EZ documenting it. I still get a form letter from them about every other year reminding me that I have to file one annually. Sure hope I never have to go through what you did.
Old 11-05-2021, 01:55 PM   #27
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by jollystomper View Post
That's great! Glad that, after all that time,pain, and inconvenience, this adventure is over.
I don't ever want to go through that again! I still need to contact the Tax Advocate service that has not gotten back with me since September and notify them I have resolved the issue through other means.
Old 11-05-2021, 01:58 PM   #28
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by braumeister View Post
Congratulations! I closed mine in 2013 and filed a timely 5500-EZ documenting it. I still get a form letter from them about every other year reminding me that I have to file one annually. Sure hope I never have to go through what you did.
I'm going to call the 5500 EZ group and ask an agent to verify that my record shows closure just to be safe. (I did send in an amended return during this adventure since they lost the original).
Old 11-05-2021, 04:47 PM   #29
gone traveling

aja8888

Congratulations, on a hard fought WIN!
aboatguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2021, 05:01 PM   #30
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by aboatguy View Post
aja8888

Congratulations, on a hard fought WIN!
Thanks, it's a battle I don't wish to have to do again. So frustrating.
Old 11-10-2021, 01:14 PM   #31
Moderator Emeritus

IRS Advocate Service call

Toady I made a call to this service as I wanted to inform them not to proceed with the request I filed on September 1, 2021. As I mentioned before, I never had any response from them on the filing.

The call today wasn't a direct hangup like previous calls. Today there was a recorded message with prompts to leave a voice message on your issue. Well, the mailbox is full. So much for that.

But, interestingly, the recorded message said, paraphrasing..... "due to the ongoing pandemic, all IRS service offices are closed and people are working from home, but have limited ability to help on calls. If you leave a message, an agent may call you back in a few days....."(right)

When are these government workers going to go back to work? The rest of the nation is back to work.......

What I did is typed a letter and mailed it stating that since the issue was resolved by another means, do not process my request. (I wonder when they will get around to reading that letter?)
Old 11-10-2021, 04:10 PM   #32
Full time employment: Posting here.

Glad to here this. Congratulations.

These delays with IRS issues and resolutions are nerve wracking. It’s not right.
truenorth418 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2021, 04:15 PM   #33
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by truenorth418 View Post
Glad to here this. Congratulations.

These delays with IRS issues and resolutions are nerve wracking. It’s not right.
Thanks, it was a long and tiresome slug.

I can't even imagine how big a mess all this backed up mail will be to the IRS when they come back to work.
Old 11-10-2021, 04:36 PM   #34
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

I think that’s an outdated message. In August, I successfully scheduled an IRS office appointment at the Erie, PA field office for September 9th. I scheduled this by speaking with an actual IRS person. I ended up canceling the appointment, but that office was certainly open as were other offices found on the IRS website.
PaunchyPirate is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2021, 04:55 PM   #35
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by PaunchyPirate View Post
I think that’s an outdated message. In August, I successfully scheduled an IRS office appointment at the Erie, PA field office for September 9th. I scheduled this by speaking with an actual IRS person. I ended up canceling the appointment, but that office was certainly open as were other offices found on the IRS website.
I have been calling this Houston, Texas Tax Advocate office regularly since September 1 with never any person answering or any way to leave a message. This is NOT an IRS regional office where taxes are processed.

Maybe there are some offices open here and there and maybe it depends on the level of Covid infections in the area. I know for sure that Texas, especially Harris County where this office is, is a hotbed of infections. So maybe that has something to do with the office being closed.

I sent them a letter today and I'm done calling.
Old 11-10-2021, 05:19 PM   #36
Give me a forum ...

Yeah, glad it's over but don't you just want to rip 'em up one side and down the other?

Whasss Uppppp? Can't you guys corral your brainless computer? I've been sending you this stuff for 2 years now. Can anyone there read? Does it all go through the shredder?

Use it to start your BarBee?

Amazing.
RobbieB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2021, 07:49 AM   #37
Confused about dryer sheets

Quote:
Originally Posted by aja8888 View Post
"due to the ongoing pandemic, all IRS service offices are closed and people are working from home, but have limited ability to help on calls. If you leave a message, an agent may call you back in a few days....."(right))

If they work from home, doesn't it mean the phone calls are not recorded for "quality assurance"?
pastoral is offline   Reply With Quote