Join Early Retirement Today

Old 12-11-2015, 11:51 AM   #21
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

I go to a co-operative gas station that pays annual dividends. Last year I got a dividend of about $94 on $1,200 of fuel. I always pay with my Costco MasterCard which give 2% cash back on fuel.

That's about a 10% savings.
Music Lover is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Fuel Points
Old 12-11-2015, 11:51 AM   #22
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Fuel Points

Costco if close by otherwise we use PenFed 5% discount (at other stations).
RetireAge50 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2015, 12:26 PM   #23

We get them at Martins, owned by the same co. that owns Giant Food. 10¢ off/gallon for every $100 spent in groceries, 25 gallon max. I bring a couple of 5 gallon gas cans and use the pickup to get all 25 gallons, then fill the car from the cans.
Old 12-11-2015, 12:38 PM   #24

Kroger v Costco

It depends. If Fred Meyer (or other Kroger store) has a gas station on its premises, usually, the gas will be cheaper at Kroger when using the loyalty card. Then use your Costco Amex to earn points for buying gas.

In my neighborhood, Fred Meyer does not have a gas station, so I can get 5 cents per gallon off at the local Shell, or save big$ and just go to Costco for gas and the points on the Amex card.

Rita
Old 12-11-2015, 01:53 PM   #25
Give me a forum ...

We have a chain of convenience stores around here that has a "membership" that offers 10 cents off if you sign up with them and they take the purchase right out of your checking account (like a debit card). While their prices are usually good, they are not always the lowest around.

Between using GasBuddy selectively and the my Discover 2% cashback I probably come out about the same but without any constraints.

We also get cents off from the grocery store we use often.

Retired Jan 2012 at age 56
pb4uski is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2015, 02:32 PM   #26
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Walt34 View Post
We get them at Martins, owned by the same co. that owns Giant Food. 10¢ off/gallon for every $100 spent in groceries, 25 gallon max. I bring a couple of 5 gallon gas cans and use the pickup to get all 25 gallons, then fill the car from the cans.
^^^ There ya go!
Old 12-11-2015, 02:33 PM   #27

Here we have Smith's (owned by Kroger), and the same $.10/gal for every $100 spent on groceries, plus additional points for gift cards, etc. It does save us some, although we also use Costco gas, just save up the Smith's/Kroger points. The Smith's gas is at the grocery store, so it is not out of the way.

My wife figured out a small way to increase the points, by using your own reusable bags. Works out to equivalent of additional $5 spent per bag credit, so for example 5 bags is like $25 additional dollars spent on groceries. Also get $50 equivalent points if you fill a prescription, per prescription. There are a lot of ways to maximize the fuel points if you make deliberate effort.

You can't spend yourself to prosperity.

Semi-Retired 7/1/16: working part-time (60%) for now [4/24/17 changed to 80%]
Retired Aug 2, 2017; age 53
38Chevy454 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2015, 05:09 PM   #28
Full time employment: Posting here.

Quote:
Originally Posted by 38Chevy454 View Post
Here we have Smith's (owned by Kroger), and the same $.10/gal for every $100 spent on groceries, plus additional points for gift cards, etc. It does save us some, although we also use Costco gas, just save up the Smith's/Kroger points. The Smith's gas is at the grocery store, so it is not out of the way.
A Smith's is about 2 miles from me, I go there to get the knick nack type groceries that I can't get or don't want to get from Costco (which is 3 more miles way from the Smith's). I'll get weekly sales items that are a good buy in bulk and quick trip type stuff, Smith's regular grocery prices aren't very competitive so I would go elsewhere for a 'major' grocery trip, so not huge dollars spent there but I will accumulate points. It takes 100 points to save $0.10/gal. which will bring it down to Costco's price. I wouldn't go the extra 3 miles to go to Costco just to fill up though, only if it is on my way or in my planned trip area.
Old 12-11-2015, 05:30 PM   #29

For at least 5 years, DW and I have (1) 30 gallons of gasoline monthly at no cost at the pump. That's at least 1800 free gallons of gas, all because of a loyalty card at local grocer. At $3.00/ gal that's an easy $5400.

DW thinks it's been 7 years, because we bought stuff for our daughter's wedding, and racked points then.
Winemaker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2015, 06:20 PM   #30

I don't go crazy with the gas savings thing but I take advantage of a few things every month. Just today, I used a coupon in the Publix grocery flyer. When you spend $50 on groceries, you can also get a $50 gasoline rewards card for $40. The gasoline stations vary monthly. Today it happened to be Racetrack. Then I pay for the groceries with my AMEX Blue Cash Card and get 5% off the total grocery bill. If I go to Sam's Club and I fill up the tank, I use the Sams Master Card and get 5% off every gallon. We've decided not to re-up with the Costco card. Not that I don't like Costco's, but I don't think I can even save the annual fee. Some of their products I prefer over Sam's but Costco's is too far to drive. Just going with Sam's Club this year.
JOHNNIE36 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2015, 08:25 PM   #31
Give me a forum ...

The only store that has reasonable grocery prices and offers gas points is Kroger. I only shop there about 1x per month for sale items and rarely spend more than the $100 required to get $0.10 off per gallon. Combine that with the fact that we only buy a tank of gas every month or two (and a tank = 8-14 gallons for our Honda sedans).

So not a lot of potential savings since the points for $ off gas are only good at Shell stations, and I might not be near a Shell when I want to get gas. There's one at the edge of our neighborhood but I refuse to spend 5+ minute to drive out of the way just to save a few pennies. I use the gasbuddy app to find the cheapest station on my driving route, and if it's a shell and it's one I'm near anyway, I'll hit it up and use the gas points if I have them.
Old 12-11-2015, 09:10 PM   #32
Recycles dryer sheets

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cobra9777 View Post
We use Kroger fuel points. Every $100 you spend earns a 10-cent discount per gallon, up to 35 gallons. Oddly, we don't shop there much as we prefer the local neighborhood grocer. But here's the kicker at Kroger... they offer 2X fuel points on gift card purchases and 4X around the holiday season. Plus we have the AMEX Blue Cash card that gives 5% cashback on grocery purchases, including (you guessed it) gift card purchases at Kroger. The card also gives 5% on gas purchases at Kroger.

All my Amazon Christmas purchases are paid using gift cards from Kroger. Here's the math on a recent $400 purchase of Amazon gift cards:

$400 (Amazon gift cards purchased at Kroger; earned 4X or 1600 fuel points)
-$20 (5% cashback from AMEX for "grocery" purchase)
-$35 (used 1000 fuel points to purchase 35 gallons at $1.00/gal discount)
-$21 (used remaining 600 fuel points to purchase 35 gallons at $0.60/gal discount)
$324 (net cost of buying $400 of merchandise on Amazon... 19% discount)

Note I'm not including the additional 5% discount on the net gas purchases since I would have received that anyway, without the gift card purchases or fuel points. Most of the 19% discount comes from fuel points. It's still a good discount at 2X fuel points (12%), but really makes sense around the holidays when I tend to spend a lot on Amazon and Kroger boosts it to 4X. It also helps that we have a large SUV plus a 5-gal gas can that enables the full 35-gallon purchase. Otherwise you leave some money on the table. You also have to consume enough gas to utilize the fuel points before they expire at the end of the following month.

Anyway, there you have it. That's my Happy Holidays fuel point scam.
That is exactly what we do including Amex Blue Cash card but have some additional perk out of kroger fuel points: we have one phone from krogeriwireless.com that our daughter uses, so 100 fuel points also give $1 toward paying for the phone plan - lowest unlimited is $35. So using example above that $400 in gc purchase will give $16 reward to pay for the phone on top of fuel discount and all listed above.
Exit 2024 is online now   Reply With Quote
Fuel Points
Old 12-11-2015, 09:15 PM   #33

Fuel Points

We live in central Ohio where d benefit from the most generous fuel rewards in the country. We have Kroger (.10 off per $100) which yields a paltry .30 to .50 off per gallon each month, but we shop more often at Giant Eagle which program yields .20 off per gallon for every $50 in gift cards or food purchased. That often gets us a full $3.00-$4.00 off per gallon each month, which pays for an entire fill up of 30 gallons each month free (we obviously use multiple 5 gallon tanks. (I have learned how to convert new tanks to the old style that drain fast and don't have that stupid ventless system).

I get a minimum of $1500 per year of free gas, but in years where we bought a lot of gift cards for home remodeling I have got almost $2,500 in free gas. I drive less than 10,000 miles a year, so a good portion of my annual gas budget is subsidized by this program. (My wife drives at least as much or more and we split it. I usually fill my Cars tank and fill three 5 gallon tanks for her)

Basically with planning ahead (If I buy a $500 Amazon gift card for Christmas shopping for instance, that's $60 in free gas) about half my yearly gas is free. I'm not yet retired. I still commute.

The formula gets even better when you realize gas prices here are getting down to $1.65 per gallon at the fluctuating lows.

Sent from my iPad using Early Retirement Forum
Old 12-11-2015, 09:37 PM   #34
Recycles dryer sheets

I don't know if they do this everywhere, but here in Seattle Fred Meyer (owned by Kroger) has a survey link on your receipts that you can fill out once every 7 days to get an extra 50 fuel points. That adds up to 200 points/month just for the surveys, plus whatever you spend on groceries. Fred Meyer is my main grocery store, so I've been getting around 300 points/month ($3.30 off on my 11 gallon tank) for the last few months.

If I need a second fill up in a month, I try to time it to coincide with a Costco run. Otherwise I hit Arco, which is the cheapest in the area and near my gym.
lhamo is offline   Reply With Quote