Portal Forums Links Register FAQ Community Calendar Log in

Join Early Retirement Today

funny investor sentiment graph
Old 08-14-2008, 04:59 AM   #1
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

funny investor sentiment graph

found by way of:
naked capitalism

I don't think anyone who is honest with themselves has completely avoided having any of these reactions..
ladelfina is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 08-14-2008, 08:11 AM   #2
Recycles dryer sheets

Too true. We're our own worst enemy.
That's why I haven't bought any individual securities in about 8-10 yrs, and am thinking about selling the few I have left.

This graph should be required to be printed on every brokerage application form.
Old 08-14-2008, 09:00 AM   #3

Thanks a bunch! After the past 2 months this explains so much!!! I already sent it to my one friend who can discuss the market with me. All my other friends prefer to work to pay an advisor like a bunch of lemmings, or are so far upside down in debt they wish we still had poorhouses.
crazy connie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2008, 09:06 AM   #4

hey, what happened to the graphic? It disappeared.
Boh.
Here is the linked link (to a link ): Slope of Hope with Tim Knight
and a copy I nabbed:

(the original is back now.. oh well, at least it is now uploaded for posterity)
Attached Images
File Type: png investorgraph.png (166.0 KB, 111 views)
Old 08-14-2008, 09:53 AM   #5
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Perfect illustration of how the twin emotional mistakes of fear and greed wreck portfolios.
"Hey, for every ten dollars, that's another hour that I have to be in the work place. That's an hour of my life. And my life is a very finite thing. I have only 'x' number of hours left before I'm dead. So how do I want to use these hours of my life? Do I want to use them just spending it on more crap and more stuff, or do I want to start getting a handle on it and using my life more intelligently?" -- Joe Dominguez (1938 - 1997)
ziggy29 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2008, 12:34 PM   #6
Moderator Emeritus

Well, I am depressed about the market so I am buying. We shall see if I am right or wrong.
Old 08-14-2008, 12:51 PM   #7

I'm enthused about the market! Almost out of the weeds from the last 2 months. Life is good!
crazy connie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2008, 01:10 PM   #8
Give me a forum ...

Very funny, and something I can personally relate to.

But, but, but, at this point in time, do you think we are at point #10 in the above graph, or at point #15?

Please help me, as I have no clue ... Maybe even point #6?
NW-Bound is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2008, 03:14 PM   #9

personally? probably at #7
Old 08-14-2008, 04:06 PM   #10
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by NW-Bound View Post
Very funny, and something I can personally relate to.

But, but, but, at this point in time, do you think we are at point #10 in the above graph, or at point #15?

Please help me, as I have no clue ... Maybe even point #6?
Between #14 and #15, if you ask me.

But my experience differs from around #14 on. What I've seen is that after about #14, news writers become disgusted or bored with the stock market and move on to another topic, like global warming, the Olympics, or the Russian invasion of Georgia, or whatever. The subsequent rise in the market is ignored until it sets new highs, then the cycle repeats with the journalists renewing their interest around #3.

2Cor521
"At times the world can seem an unfriendly and sinister place, but believe us when we say there is much more good in it than bad. All you have to do is look hard enough, and what might seem to be a series of unfortunate events, may in fact be the first steps of a journey." Violet Baudelaire.
SecondCor521 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2008, 04:14 PM   #11
Give me a forum ...

I am obviously somewhere between ladelfina and 2Cor521.

Let's make it into a poll. This is going to be fun!
Old 08-14-2008, 04:30 PM   #12
Give me a forum ...

My guess, and it is only that, is that we are experiencing a bear market rally likely of relatively short duration, and we will eventually see new lows. This October could be cute!

But the snapback has been fun. Right or wrong, I have already cashed some gains in IRA.

Ha
Old 08-14-2008, 04:34 PM   #13
Give me a forum ...

Ha meant we are at point 13. Which means in the long run, it's not a bad time to buy.

I have been buying slowly the last 2 weeks. But then, I was working from a 52% cash position. So far, so good. Down to 48% cash.

P.S. I should add that for the last 2 weeks, my total has been pretty much constant, i.e. does not fluctuate nearly as much as the indices. What happened was that my various stocks moved opposite each other (energy+material vs. most other stocks), and canceled each other out. Is that good or bad?

Hopefully, when the market recovers, they will all participate and stop their tug-of-war! I have been buying some tech stocks.
Old 08-14-2008, 04:54 PM   #14
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by NW-Bound View Post
Ha meant we are at point 13. Which means in the long run, it's not a bad time to buy.
NW, you may indeed be correct that we are at point 13, but that is not what I meant. I think the graph is cute and psychologically descriptive, but if I thought that we were at point 13 I would consider that "the bottom".

I do think that there are a lot of moderate values, but I also think that I at least need to see more blood. When I am scared sh*tless and thinking "why in hell didn't I just sell everything summer 2008?" -that is when I will try to buy for a good long time.

A poor earnings pre-announcement season this fall, or worse news on employment and production could get us there.

This may not even happen, but I will still be OK there too- not optimal but OK.

A person who is definitely not going back (or can't go back) to work needs to be careful.

Ha
Old 08-14-2008, 05:03 PM   #15
Give me a forum ...

Even if I want to buy, do I have any money left to buy?

One who has retired must think differently than one who is young and still accumulating. It slowly dawned on me that I have left the latter group, and joined the former.

When you have no new money to invest, it limits your choice, even if you have become arguably "wiser" with age.
Old 08-14-2008, 05:24 PM   #16
Administrator

Of course, it doesn't have to bottom at point 13 and top at 19. This could be a cutout of a much bigger graph. Just look at the S&P in '01 and '02. Hit bottom and then rose 20% - twice. Then it really went down. I remember that well and am still sore.

Not sure what point we're on the graph, but it sure feels more like '01 than '03 to me. Time to be cautious.
MichaelB is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2008, 05:31 PM   #17
Recycles dryer sheets

Personally, I think we're somewhere around #13 and we'll bounce around there for a while before the next and final leg down. I have been increasing my position in a few securities...cautiously.
ladypatriot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2008, 05:35 PM   #18

14 its going to the moon.

(this is not investment advice)
Notmuchlonger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2008, 05:49 PM   #19
Recycles dryer sheets

Wonderful graph, teaches a lot, thanks. My bet is on #13. Seems like a lot of potential bad news hasn't come to fruition yet. But I'm trying not to let that affect my investing. Since I'm still working I can afford to keep buying and rebalancing into equities, as I have been since January.
headingout is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2008, 11:47 PM   #20
Give me a forum ...

That graph explains why the average equity or mutual fund investor makes around 1.5% (IIRC -- that figure from Brennan's Straight Talk book).