Join Early Retirement Today

Old 10-22-2020, 12:56 PM   #81
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Quote:
Originally Posted by dixter View Post
for example... if you buy a bond with 10% coupon and its valued at $1500 then it would be best to monitor the bond over time and attempt to recover the over par premium by simply reselling the bond before the maturity date... you may not get back the $500 cost in full but you could get close or if luck is on your side, even get back more than the $500...

Forgive me if I am putting words in your mouth: Perhaps I could interpret these sentiments as asserting that the coupon rate (and concomitant inflated value over par) has an effect on the bond's convexity.... That is, that this bond would respond differently to changes in interest rates compared to other bonds of the same duration but different coupon (i.e., value vs. par).

Hmmm, I would have to think very hard about this, but I could perhaps believe it.
Out-to-Lunch is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 10-22-2020, 01:32 PM   #82
gone traveling

Quote:
Originally Posted by Out-to-Lunch View Post
Forgive me if I am putting words in your mouth: Perhaps I could interpret these sentiments as asserting that the coupon rate (and concomitant inflated value over par) has an effect on the bond's convexity.... That is, that this bond would respond differently to changes in interest rates compared to other bonds of the same duration but different coupon (i.e., value vs. par).

Hmmm, I would have to think very hard about this, but I could perhaps believe it.
There are many different parameters that can affect a bonds value (either below par or above par).. coupon rates and durations are just two parameters... a bonds rating would be another parameter.. and many many more

I have no connection with Fidelity but here is a presentation that you might like...

https://www.fidelity.com/learning-ce...ting-recording
dixter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2020, 02:26 PM   #83
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by NW-Bound View Post
... A big portion of my fixed income AA is in a Black Rock T-Fund. Its yield varies, and used to pay 2% which would offset inflation, but is now only 0.01%/yr!
I just looked at my wife's 401K Stable Value fund. YTD, it has paid 4.03% cumulative!

Wow, how do they do that? Loan sharking?

"Those Who Can Make You Believe Absurdities Can Make You Commit Atrocities" - Voltaire (1694-1778)
NW-Bound is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2020, 04:47 PM   #84
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by NW-Bound View Post
I just looked at my wife's 401K Stable Value fund. YTD, it has paid 4.03% cumulative!

Wow, how do they do that? Loan sharking?
Could be heavy investing in riskier bonds such as mortgage backed bonds. This is true for my SV fund which has a current gross of 4.01%.
Old 10-22-2020, 05:27 PM   #85
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dtail View Post
Could be heavy investing in riskier bonds such as mortgage backed bonds. This is true for my SV fund which has a current gross of 4.01%.

Does not look too "stable" to me.

I don't know what my wife's fund does, but we have only 4.3% of investable assets in that fund.

"Those Who Can Make You Believe Absurdities Can Make You Commit Atrocities" - Voltaire (1694-1778)
NW-Bound is offline   Reply With Quote