Join Early Retirement Today

Gas $4 this summer
Old 02-17-2012, 12:47 PM   #1
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Gas $4 this summer

CNBC reported a story that gas prices will rise this summer.

Quote:
The Consumer Price Index rose 0.2 percent Friday, but underlying the tame number was a 0.9 percent gain in gasoline prices
Gasoline prices at the pump hit a national average of $3.52 per gallon this week. That is up 15 cents from a month ago and already 40 cents above last year's level, according to AAA.
Tom Kloza, analyst and founder of Opisnet, said he expects gasoline to reach an average somewhere between $3.75 and $4.25 when it peaks, in late April or May.
"We're starting to see the $4 number pop up regularly on the west coast," Kloza said.
So if we see gas continue to $4 or higher, people start cutting down on trips, summer vacations would be affected, probably airlines adding fuel surcharges, etc... So is this enough to stop the growth in the economy, slow as it is already?

Just wondering what others think, WITHOUT BLAMING ANYONE PLEASE.
RetireBy90 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 02-17-2012, 12:52 PM   #2
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

I think that a lot of people will feel the pain..

I also do not think that a lot of people learned their lesson the last time gas prices spiked...

Will we make changes to our driving habits etc? Nope, my DW does not want to.. she would rather have less savings than (as she would put it) enjoy life...
Texas Proud is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2012, 12:52 PM   #3
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso) Give me a forum ...

I don't believe $4 gas will "stop" the economy, but it will certainly be a drag on growth.
Old 02-17-2012, 12:54 PM   #4
Dryer sheet wannabe

Quote:
Originally Posted by REWahoo View Post
I don't believe $4 gas will "stop" the economy, but it will certainly be a drag on growth.
My feelings too.
Oddjobdth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2012, 12:56 PM   #5
Give me a forum ...

The economy looks to have entered a self-reinforcing recovery - finally. I think the economy is going to surprise to the upside.

Higher gas prices are a symptom of the increased demand - not something that will de-rail the economy unless we get a meaningful suppy shock (war with Iran, for example).
Old 02-17-2012, 12:59 PM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gone4Good View Post
Higher gas prices are a symptom of the increased demand...
You would think that would be the case, but then there is this:

Quote:
U.S. gasoline demand last week was the lowest level for this time of year in weekly data since 2003, Energy Department data show. Consumption over the past four weeks was 6.4 percent below a year earlier.
Looks more like the price hikes are supply side driven:

Gasoline Rises to Six-Month High as Refinery Outages Curb Supply - Businessweek
Old 02-17-2012, 01:02 PM   #7
Full time employment: Posting here.

In Northern California, prices are already very close to the $4 mark. In fact, premium grade is at $4.02 right now at my neighborhood gas station.
Coolius is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2012, 01:09 PM   #8

Quote:
The economy looks to have entered a self-reinforcing recovery - finally. I think the economy is going to surprise to the upside.
I'm asking this while thinking of last year about this time. All were happy and thinking all was good, economy was expanding, party time. Could $4 gas be enough to tusanami us? Probably not, just asking.
RetireBy90 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2012, 01:21 PM   #9
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Higher gas prices are a symptom of the increased demand - not something that will de-rail the economy unless we get a meaningful suppy shock (war with Iran, for example).
Quote:
Originally Posted by REWahoo View Post
You would think that would be the case, but then there is this:
Looks more like the price hikes are supply side driven:
Quote:
U.S. gasoline demand last week was the lowest level for this time of year in weekly data since 2003, Energy Department data show. Consumption over the past four weeks was 6.4 percent below a year earlier.
Supply as you mention and
  • as the rest of the world develops, global demand is less and less about US demand.
  • plus we get the "benefits" of a weak dollar rolled into what we see in the US.
Quote:
Delving further into fundamentals, both supply and demand factors promise to push crude oil. Despite a weak global economy, Asian demand for oil is expected to rise by 0.98 million barrels per day (mbd) this year to 29.33 mbd, after a 0.82 mbd increase in 2011. A third of that comes from China, the region’s powerhouse, the rest coming from India, Korea, Japan, and the rest of the fast-growing Asia-Pacific region. That’s 92% of the global demand increase expected for 2012, as European and North American demand slide.

GasBuddy has projected $5/gal gas for this summer, but I'd be surprised and no one else seems to be projecting anything that high (low $4/gal range mostly?).

Target AA: 50% equity funds / 45% bonds / 5% cash
Target WR: Approx 1.5% Approx 20% SI (secure income, SS only)
Midpack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2012, 01:39 PM   #10
Give me a forum ...

Yesterday, I already paid a bit less than $3.40/gal at Costco.

This summer? Banff timeshare resort already confirmed, and fees paid.

That's a 3,400 mi round trip, and that alone is $1500 for the gas-guzzling RV. And other detours might just mean an additional 50% to the total mileage for the summer trip. And of course gas is more expensive in Canada.

Let's see... Airfare RT up there and back, $360/passenger. Darn!

Hopefully, the stock market will rise enough that the gas expense will be just a round-off at the bottom of the Quicken screen. Besides, one cannot take it with him, heh heh heh... I am still goin' RV'in ...

"Those Who Can Make You Believe Absurdities Can Make You Commit Atrocities" - Voltaire (1694-1778)
NW-Bound is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2012, 01:41 PM   #11
Give me a forum ...

And all pieces like this will do is encourage speculators to bid up the price of oil and ensure that economic recovery is killed by oil prices. Thanks, folks.

We simply can NOT continue to base our economy's health on a commodity that endures regular huge price swings and can singlehandedly end fragile economic recoveries with a spike in the futures markets.
"Hey, for every ten dollars, that's another hour that I have to be in the work place. That's an hour of my life. And my life is a very finite thing. I have only 'x' number of hours left before I'm dead. So how do I want to use these hours of my life? Do I want to use them just spending it on more crap and more stuff, or do I want to start getting a handle on it and using my life more intelligently?" -- Joe Dominguez (1938 - 1997)
ziggy29 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2012, 01:48 PM   #12
Give me a forum ...

A lot depends on where you are, as the refined products market is now highly marginalized. I just paid 3.05 for mid grade in the heartland.

- George Orwell

Ezekiel 23:20
brewer12345 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2012, 02:36 PM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by ziggy29 View Post
And all pieces like this will do is encourage speculators to bid up the price of oil...
Ahem. Uh, er... I realize it is a lot to ask, but since you were so kind to come to our rescue in 2009...

http://www.early-retirement.org/foru...ain-44726.html
Old 02-17-2012, 02:39 PM   #14
Give me a forum ...

Only fairly recently has our average gas price DROPPED back down to around $4.00/gal (paid. $4.04 yesterday). It actually dropped below $4 briefly a few weeks ago and is now headed higher again. Of course, our mix of oil comes from far different sources than most on the mainland. Only about 4% comes from the US (primarily from Alaska IIRC).

From the vehicles a lot of folks still drive here (new SUVs and pick-em-ups), $4.00 gas doesn't seem to be an issue anymore. Our prices went to over $4.50 when oil got to its highest per bbl price a couple of years back. There was a lot of carping (and there still is some) but I certainly haven't seen much change in driving habits.

Full disclosure, we do have a relatively high proportion of Prius type vehicles here. They make a lot of sense because most of our driving is "city cycle" rather than highway. Even on the freeway, it's more like city with all the stop-go-slow-down we experience. When DW drives, she's either pushing the gas or the brake. Works well for a Prius, but for an old Honda, not so much. When she drives, we're lucky to get 20 mpg. When I drive, it's always 25+ mpg.

Heh, heh, YMMV.

Anything which can be used can be misused. Anything which can be misused will be.
Koolau is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2012, 03:07 PM   #15
Give me a forum ...

"The Consumer Price Index rose 0.2 percent Friday, but underlying the tame number was a 0.9 percent gain in gasoline prices."

Lousy writing at CNBC. the price index didn't rise .2 percent in one day, and I'm not sure what they meant by "underlying.". A bigger number can't be the cause of the smaller inflation rate.

Logic police out.
Old 02-17-2012, 03:25 PM   #16

I heard on the radio a few days ago that gasoline speculators are stockpiling waiting for the Iran situation to explode (pun intended). I don't recall hearing about gasoline stockpiling. Seems like it's always been oil.

I guess they have to start dumping some of it onto the market when they run out of storage if we keep staying under historic demand.
Buckeye is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2012, 03:38 PM   #17

Some of this may be offset by the plummet in natural gas prices and reductions in electricity. We don't use NG but our electric rates have declined. I have no idea what the balance is of gasoline vs. other energy.
jebmke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2012, 03:57 PM   #18
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by TromboneAl View Post
"The Consumer Price Index rose 0.2 percent Friday, but underlying the tame number was a 0.9 percent gain in gasoline prices."

Lousy writing at CNBC. the price index didn't rise .2 percent in one day, and I'm not sure what they meant by "underlying.". A bigger number can't be the cause of the smaller inflation rate.

Logic police out.
Core inflation is minus food and energy, because they are more volatile.
The 0.2% number was for CPI-U, or CPI for All Urban Consumers.

Consumer Price Index Summary

...not doing anything of true substance...
HFWR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2012, 03:59 PM   #19
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by HFWR View Post
Core inflation is minus food and energy, because they are more volatile leaving them out allows the government to report benign numbers that don't increase COLAs or interest payments.
Fixed!
"Hey, for every ten dollars, that's another hour that I have to be in the work place. That's an hour of my life. And my life is a very finite thing. I have only 'x' number of hours left before I'm dead. So how do I want to use these hours of my life? Do I want to use them just spending it on more crap and more stuff, or do I want to start getting a handle on it and using my life more intelligently?" -- Joe Dominguez (1938 - 1997)
ziggy29 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2012, 04:04 PM   #20
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by ziggy29 View Post
Fixed!
Though, if you note on the web site, all the numbers are there...

Or maybe they really ARE out to get us!

...not doing anything of true substance...
HFWR is offline   Reply With Quote