Generating Passive Income Thru Dividends

The thing about how dividend income inside an IRA is taxed at a different rate than outside an IRA is completely new to me, ...

Actually, dividend income inside an IRA is not taxed at all.

The thing that is taxed is withdrawals from the IRA.

Actually, dividend income inside an IRA is not taxed at all.

The thing that is taxed is withdrawals from the IRA.

I think it would be more precise to say that dividend income inside a traditional IRA is not taxed until it is withdrawn.... but it is ultimately taxed, just not until withdtrawn.

And you have to specify traditional IRA because dividends in a Roth IRA are not taxed at all.

If you are comfortable with all your eggs in one basket, consider a blue chip stock. AT&T has consistently paid $0.50/share/quarter ($0.51/share/quarter this year). With today's close of $39.38, $315K would buy about 7998 shares. 7998 x $2.04/year = $16,315.92 in dividends.

You need to look at more than the "funds" and work out the risk/benefit in your situation. $16K/year versus $8K/year might be worth a bit of risk.

Perhaps look at some other relatively stable stocks?

If you are comfortable with all your eggs in one basket, consider a blue chip stock. AT&T has consistently paid $0.50/share/quarter ($0.51/share/quarter this year). With today's close of $39.38, $315K would buy about 7998 shares. 7998 x $2.04/year = $16,315.92 in dividends.

You need to look at more than the "funds" and work out the risk/benefit in your situation. $16K/year versus $8K/year might be worth a bit of risk.

Perhaps look at some other relatively stable stocks?

GE and Citigroup were once blue chip stocks. I've owned both and got slammed by both when they cut their dividends. It's awful advice, IMO, to put all your eggs in one basket, because when that basket breaks, you've got nothing.

If you are comfortable with all your eggs in one basket, consider a blue chip stock. ...

We should stop right there - no one in their right mind should be "comfortable" with all their money in a single stock, "blue chip", or otherwise. In other words, that is bad, terrible, awful advice. But considering your caveat, it applies to no one, so it isn't advice at all.

If you are comfortable with all your eggs in one basket, consider a blue chip stock. AT&T has consistently paid $0.50/share/quarter ($0.51/share/quarter this year). With today's close of $39.38, $315K would buy about 7998 shares. 7998 x $2.04/year = $16,315.92 in dividends. ...

In the past 20 years, blue-chip AT&T was a terrible investment. Here is the total return of "T" (Port #2 in RED), compared to a 100% S&P index (Port #1 in BLUE) , and a 70/30 S&P and Total Bond (Port# 3 in YELLOW). T under-performs and has higher volatility. It stinks up the place.

Diversify, that is an extremely important rule.

http://bit.ly/2O6Mfij << short link to portfolio analyzer

-ERD50

Attachments

• T_Data.png
    T_Data.png
    20.5 KB · Views: 29
  • T-graph.png
    T-graph.png
    44.4 KB · Views: 30
I'd like to have the IRA generate a passive income of $10k-$12k/year.

Is it possible to generate that kind of an income by putting the entire balance of $315K into a single income-producing mutual fund?

I have and like Vanguards Wellesley (Conservative ROTH IRA Mutual Fund) with approx. $210,000 and in 2018, it generated

4 quarterly dividends of
$1,200 March, $1,400 June, $1,400 Sept. and $1,700 Dec.
Plus Long term Capitol gains of $7,300

But those numbers can move around a bit.

The Previous year, 2017 there were $200 and $2,000 Short / Long CG
but the quarterly dividends were pretty close to 2018.

My more moderate fund, Wellington is similar, but dividends are a bit less, by a couple hundred, but I only have about 120K there, so halve those numbers.
I reinvest everything, but pay taxes on the Wellington Distributions, coz it's just my taxable mutual fund.

I am tracking this thread because I am leaving megacorp (they don't even buy a retirement cake anymore) in January. I turn 59.5 in February and need to drive income until we collect social security at maybe age 64-66.

Two funds that I hold and find compelling at PONAX - a mutli-sector bund fund - and PFANX - which holds preferred securities and pays a quarterly distribution. I hold about 12% of our assets in PONAX and just a small position in PFANX, for now. I intend to make use of these two and a core bond fund like USIBX to drive income. These might be worth a look for the original poster.

Three stocks to combine dividends and potential appreciation

In my opinion, three stocks to look at:
-T (AT&T; is known for dividends)
-O (Realty Income Corp; provides monthly, 12 dividends/year)
-MSFT (Microsoft; 1 of 2 AAA rated stocks. Lowest dividend of these three but much stronger price increase ability)

We should stop right there - no one in their right mind should be "comfortable" with all their money in a single stock, "blue chip", or otherwise. In other words, that is bad, terrible, awful advice. But considering your caveat, it applies to no one, so it isn't advice at all.

In the past 20 years, blue-chip AT&T was a terrible investment. Here is the total return of "T" (Port #2 in RED), compared to a 100% S&P index (Port #1 in BLUE) , and a 70/30 S&P and Total Bond (Port# 3 in YELLOW). T under-performs and has higher volatility. It stinks up the place.

Diversify, that is an extremely important rule.

http://bit.ly/2O6Mfij << short link to portfolio analyzer

-ERD50

which ATT? I assume after the baby bells were spun off.
how was the spin off lucent handled? Or are you just plotting the baby bell the was spun off in the 80's and later after the tech bust it bought ATT and took the name and ticker back.

GE and Westinghouse would be some good examples of why to diversify.

To echo Running Man--with a twist--I have a brokerage account (after tax) with about 125K that throws off about 6000/year in dividends. There are 10 funds, 8 of them closed end funds. But as an after tax account, 3 of the funds are municipal bond Closed ends, which obviously wouldn't be appropriate in a 401k/IRA (two of them I bought 6 years ago after Meredith Whitney's book on doom in munis came out and they are up about 65% including the 4.5% yearly in yield they throw off).

One is Vanguard Total World stock ETF and another is the S&P High Dividend closed end.

But it is possible to achieve diversification in closed ends and also get a higher yield (due to leverage). The downside is that if you have to sell shares when the market is down, the leverage will bite you and some/many closed ends pay a yield that they do not earn, so the long-term value gets eaten by the boosted pay out (essential Return on Capital). And obviously taking out the yield rather than reinvesting will affect your returns; nothing is free.

I am putting excess withdrawals in this account from my 401k with a goal of eventually achieving 12-15k in distributions/year, then (in a few years) will start placing excess 401k/403b withdrawals in Roths. Most of the muni closed end distributions are not taxed, which is nice. In a 401k/IRA however they would be taxed as income, which defeats the purpose so obviously I would look at high yield or bond closed ends rather than muni closed ends.

I bought PDI in Feb after last year's correction (timing was almost perfect, but I can't take credit) and it is throwing off a +8% yield and is up about 19% total, although given the high premium now, I won't buy it next year in January. Some of its sister funds are at a much lower premium, so I might sell it and buy them.

The closed end world is tricky, to be sure.

Last edited:
I have and like Vanguards Wellesley ....

That is a great recommendation for the OP... a conservative income fund... put the entire $315k in Wellesley with dividends and capital gains distributions reinvested and set up an automatic redemption of $1,000/month to your checking account.... set it and forget it other than to periodically increase the monthly amount for inflation.

According to Portfolio Visualizer, if you had done this 10 years ago that $315k, even after withdrawals adjusted for inflation, would be worth $677k at the end of October.

https://www.portfoliovisualizer.com...ividends=true&symbol1=VWIAX&allocation1_1=100

Last edited:
The thing about how dividend income inside an IRA is taxed at a different rate than outside an IRA is completely new to me, so extra thanks to the person who posted that info.
It's more accurate to think of everything in the IRA now as something which will be Taxed at your tax rate when you receive the money. That means your withdrawals could end up being taxed at several rates, depending on other income you happen to receive in a given year.

This assumes the dollars you contributed we're within contribution limitations when you made them.

Interesting. Thoughts on Pimco Income, PIMIX?

If I you compare it to VAN Wellesley that same time period it comes out on top. Or better yet if you include the 08/09 recession, so a 2007-2019 range the performance gap is even greater.

https://www.portfoliovisualizer.com/backtest-portfolio?s=y&timePeriod=2&startYear=2007&firstMonth=11&endYear=2019&lastMonth=10&calendarAligned=true&initialAmount=315000&annualOperation=2&annualAdjustment=1000&inflationAdjusted=true&annualPercentage=0.0&frequency=4&rebalanceType=1&absoluteDeviation=5.0&relativeDeviation=25.0&showYield=false&reinvestDividends=true&symbol1=VWIAX&allocation1_1=100&symbol2=PIMIX&allocation2_2=100

I am a huge fan of Vanguard products but have been struggling on the PIMIX fund when I stumbled on its performance - how much should I allocate, etc.. interestingly there seem to be few mentions of it or fans from what I can tell. Not sure why.

That is a great recommendation for the OP... a conservative income fund... put the entire $315k in Wellesley with dividends and capital gains distributions reinvested and set up an automatic redemption of $1,000/month to your checking account.... set it and forget it other than to periodically increase the monthly amount for inflation.

According to Portfolio Visualizer, if you had done this 10 years ago that $315k, even after withdrawals adjusted for inflation, would be worth $677k at the end of October.

https://www.portfoliovisualizer.com...ividends=true&symbol1=VWIAX&allocation1_1=100

I've had good luck investing in some of the Dividend Aristocrats. The Dividend Aristocrats are comprised of 57 of the S&P 500 stocks with 25+ years of consecutive dividend increases. The list is updated yearly and changes are very infrequent.

These stocks are priced high. You may want to wait a few months to see if they drop.

Last edited:
I have and like Vanguards Wellesley (Conservative ROTH IRA Mutual Fund) with approx. $210,000 and in 2018, it generated

4 quarterly dividends of
$1,200 March, $1,400 June, $1,400 Sept. and $1,700 Dec.
Plus Long term Capitol gains of $7,300

But those numbers can move around a bit.

The Previous year, 2017 there were $200 and $2,000 Short / Long CG
but the quarterly dividends were pretty close to 2018.

My more moderate fund, Wellington is similar, but dividends are a bit less, by a couple hundred, but I only have about 120K there, so halve those numbers.
I reinvest everything, but pay taxes on the Wellington Distributions, coz it's just my taxable mutual fund.

My mother's story is very similar regarding Wellesley. She had never invested in the markets until 4 years ago after my dad's passing. Now, ever quarterly payout she is as happy as ever with what this fund has done to help her. I tell her if anything "bad" happens to me, stay the course with this fund. I think the OP could do much worst.

Interesting. Thoughts on Pimco Income, PIMIX?

If I you compare it to VAN Wellesley that same time period it comes out on top. Or better yet if you include the 08/09 recession, so a 2007-2019 range the performance gap is even greater.

https://www.portfoliovisualizer.com...cation1_1=100&symbol2=PIMIX&allocation2_2=100

I am a huge fan of Vanguard products but have been struggling on the PIMIX fund when I stumbled on its performance - how much should I allocate, etc.. interestingly there seem to be few mentions of it or fans from what I can tell. Not sure why.

Your withdrawal Amount is annual not monthly

Investing

I really know nothing about investing and trying to make enough to retire in 5 years. How do i find a good investment advisor who can be trusted .

Your withdrawal Amount is annual not monthly

Correct but in this comparison it does not matter. I am comparing the two funds with the backtest criteria being the same and highlighting the performance difference to see if folks think PIMIX is a decent addition to a portfolio.

Anyone have it as a core position, large percentage?

Thanks

I really know nothing about investing and trying to make enough to retire in 5 years. How do i find a good investment advisor who can be trusted .

Look in the mirror.

Post an introduction with some more information.

Hi, I am... - Early Retirement & Financial Independence Community

I think you will quickly see the people here can walk you through how very easy it is to set up a portfolio yourself (spoiler alert - you can do a fine job with just 2-3 funds, then leave them alone). It takes near zero effort, you just have to learn a few basics to see that doing almost nothing is very likely to be the best path.

As we say, the hardest thing to understand about personal finance is how simple it is.

And... by the time you know enough to determine if an FA is doing a good job, you know enough to do it yourself.

-ERD50

Maybe not what you want to hear, but if you really want to learn about investing, read some of the many, many posts on this forum. An adviser won't teach you anything. You won't know if the adviser is doing right by you if you don't understand basic investing concepts and what you're hoping to achieve (growth, cash flow, a blend, etc.).

Yes like all the abbreviations and terminologies used what they mean . I have a few annuieties which i didnt know any better, some rental properties a 401 k and emergency funds in savings. But just not sure it will generate enough to not run out of money. Health ins scares me the most!

Maybe not what you want to hear, but if you really want to learn about investing, read some of the many, many posts on this forum. An adviser won't teach you anything. You won't know if the adviser is doing right by you if you don't understand basic investing concepts and what you're hoping to achieve (growth, cash flow, a blend, etc.).
+1
Also, read a few basic investing books.

What books would give me the basics to know what and where to invest in

Yes like all the abbreviations and terminologies used what they mean . I have a few annuieties which i didnt know any better, some rental properties a 401 k and emergency funds in savings. But just not sure it will generate enough to not run out of money. Health ins scares me the most!

On the first part, running out of money... have you tried FIRECalc?

On health insurance, check out healthsherpa.com

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom