Geriatric financial management & asset allocations

Wow that is very troubling! In support of the general decline, we found MIL with many unexplained bruises while in a full care facility, so I think that is not unique to living alone. We alway questioned the staff and no one could recall how they happened. We are pretty sure she was punished by the staff for being incapable and also mouthy.
I've heard a lot on both sides of that debate. Thankfully the issue never came up with my father's care facilities.

As for me, I just will not drink any more even if people think I'm a little weird and wonder why I don't. My avoidance of alcohol is not due to religious conviction (I am agnostic and was brought up Presbyterian, and believe me Presbyterians drink). It is also not due to personal alcohol addiction. I never drank a whole lot, although I have a family member who is alcoholic and therefore does not drink any more. Everyone else in my family drinks.
I tell people that my drinking days are behind me, and that I consumed my lifetime quota in the submarine force.

It's a little surprising how quickly people accept that justification without any questions.

To those few who scoff, I respond that I'm saving the calories for chocolate.

I just will not drink any more

my drinking days are behind me

Everyone needs to do what is right for them, but I still enjoy my very moderate beer intake, and probably always will. I average two high quality beers a day, and that average has been stable for several decades.

My father became an alcoholic after he retired, reaching a point of going through nearly a bottle of whiskey a day. Then one day he woke up and realized what had happened, and never touched another drop the rest of his life. That iron will power was just part of his personality -- he had quit smoking the same way long before.

Back
Top Bottom