Join Early Retirement Today

"Get A Life" By Ralph Warner Any Body Read it? +++
Old 05-11-2005, 07:06 AM   #1
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

"Get A Life" By Ralph Warner Any Body Read it? +++

This publication was written in 1996. How Applicable are the financial parts for 2005 and beyond? Any comments from readers.

Also, IYHOs, what are the best post/"early retirement" books that have made most impact on your personal lives and why? Please try to do this from a 2005 perspective. Most retirement books seem to have been written a long time ago. How can they still apply from the financial aspect?

We seem to read a lot in retirement, I thought it would be nice to weed out the good from the mediocre (SP).

I hope this post is not too open ended.

Thanks

SWR
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Re: "Get A Life" By Ralph Warner Any Body Read it? +++
Old 05-11-2005, 07:19 AM   #2
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

here is a link about this book: http://retireplan.about.com/od/books...get_a_life.htm

Even though the book was written in 1996, the concepts still apply today. That is, detach from your work, plan for your retirement (financially and emotionally), pursue other interests (other than work), stay healthy, develop friendship and maintain (and/or improve) relationship.

After all, what are we living for? Is it work or play?
Old 05-11-2005, 08:36 AM   #3
Recycles dryer sheets

Although somewhat unsophisticated with respect to financial advice, Fred Brock's "Retire on Less Than You Think" (2004) has to be on all short lists of "best" current retirement books.
playaman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2005, 10:52 AM   #4
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Spanky's summary was excellent.

This is my favorite retirement book because it addresses the non financial aspects of retirement. Countless books, articles and web postings adress the financial issues. But if you have enough financial resources then all the other issues become important.
Now the financial section of the book is pretty good too. It is simple but a lot of folks recommend simple systems like indexing, The Coffee House system, Couch Potatoe and the like. I would recommend more financial reading if that interests you but do, do read all the other parts of this book.