Join Early Retirement Today

Old 03-20-2015, 04:58 PM   #61
Dryer sheet wannabe

I would also recommend waiting.
You get about the best rate from credit cards and ATMs when you get to Europe. Our bank ( Wells Fargo ) always claims there is no service charge but they "jack " you about 5% on their exchange rate vs. the going rate.
There is really no way to be certain of the exchange rate in two months although it seems to be on a downward trajectory.
It was about $1.20 when we were in Europe earlier this spring.
Enjoy!

Sent from my iPad using Early Retirement Forum
Dakotah is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 03-20-2015, 05:09 PM   #62

This thread is kind of amusing as the euro jumped up yesterday enough to be a several hundred dollar hit on my outstanding vacation bills. (I prepaid everything I could while the rates were low... but still buying train tickets and several of the rental apartments want cash for the balance when we show up.) As I type this it's 1.08$/euro... It was 1.4 earlier this week.

Don't get me wrong - I'm still going and will have fun... but I hope the Euro does drop back down again... especially in the next week as I have two train tickets being held on capitainetrain.com.
Get Euros now or later
Old 03-20-2015, 05:12 PM   #63
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Get Euros now or later

Here's a quote from a article about the declining Euro and how we need to be careful others don't take the savings from us. Apparently, at some airports ATMs run by money changer companies charge muct higher conversion rates than bank ATMS out side the airports.

http://www.bizjournals.com/bizjourna...s.html?ana=twt

Quote:
How unfavorable are Travelex rates? According to the firm's website on Tuesday evening, 100 U.S. dollars will buy 60 British pounds and 88 pence. That's a 10 percent off-the-top cut for Travelex since the bank exchange rate on Tuesday evening was 67 pounds and 80 pence.
How does one beat the money changer rates and get the better bank rates?
Check who owns the ATM here:

http://www.mastercard.us/cardholder-...m-locator.html

The worst decisions are usually made in times of anger and impatience.
Chuckanut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2015, 05:17 PM   #64
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by rodi View Post
This thread is kind of amusing as the euro jumped up yesterday enough to be a several hundred dollar hit on my outstanding vacation bills. (I prepaid everything I could while the rates were low... but still buying train tickets and several of the rental apartments want cash for the balance when we show up.) As I type this it's 1.08$/euro... It was 1.4 earlier this week.

Don't get me wrong - I'm still going and will have fun... but I hope the Euro does drop back down again... especially in the next week as I have two train tickets being held on capitainetrain.com.
Same here, lol! Have charges pending on the rest of my train tickets.

Rate jumped Wed, then dropped Thursday, then jumped again today. I think I'll have gotten a better deal on the things I paid for last week!

But c'est la vie!

(See, I'm getting ready for France! )

My instinct tells me the Euro is likely drop further by the time we get there. That's when we get to pay the hotel bills.
Old 03-20-2015, 08:24 PM   #65
Give me a forum ...

Here's some music to help put you into the mood, and perhaps to take with you when you tour the city on foot.

My favorite is "La Bohème" by Charles Aznavour, reminiscing about a young artist's life in Montmartre. Video with subtitle follows.

But there are more. "Coin de Rue"? "Moulin Rouge"? "La Mer"?

"Those Who Can Make You Believe Absurdities Can Make You Commit Atrocities" - Voltaire (1694-1778)
NW-Bound is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2015, 08:30 PM   #66
Give me a forum ...

Oh, I have to listen to French music too? LOL!

Thanks!

DH can't stand French singing, particularly from that deep smokey-voiced Lady.
Old 03-20-2015, 08:35 PM   #67
Give me a forum ...

One does not have to.

On the other hand, for a complete package, food, drink, sight, sound, how can one leave out music?

"Those Who Can Make You Believe Absurdities Can Make You Commit Atrocities" - Voltaire (1694-1778)
Old 03-20-2015, 08:38 PM   #68
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by NW-Bound View Post
One does not have to.

On the other hand, for a complete package, food, drink, sight, sound, how can one leave out music?
I was hoping they were playing American jazz over there.
Old 03-20-2015, 08:40 PM   #69
Recycles dryer sheets

Would travelers checks in Euro's work?
unno2002 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2015, 08:41 PM   #70
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by audreyh1 View Post
I was hoping they were playing American jazz over there.
One might as well stay home and eat steak or hamburger. And I do love jazz and steak and hamburger.

When we were in Nice, during the Carnival, they played American rock and pop music on the loudspeakers in the street. ARGHHH!

That's why I have to bring my own.

Old 03-21-2015, 11:48 PM   #71
Give me a forum ...

OK, how about an American song but with French lyrics? This rendition is by a British singer though. That makes it international music, eh?

If one does not like the music, well, at least the scenery is interesting, I hope.

Old 03-22-2015, 09:10 AM   #72
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by NW-Bound View Post
OK, how about an American song but with French lyrics? This rendition is by a British singer though. That makes it international music, eh?

If one does not like the music, well, at least the scenery is interesting, I hope.
That's better. Thanks! Still a bit of odd French nasal warbling even with a British singer, LOL!

I enjoy the French composers Debussy and Fauré. Branford Marsalis "Romances for the Saxophone" has a nice selection. I like this Arabesque N°1 - Claude Debussy

Old 03-22-2015, 09:20 AM   #73
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

I'm in Europe now and it really is a bargain compared to the last time I was here!

As to getting euros ahead, I always get some as a safety precaution. Typical in Rome is that the airport ATM will run out of cash when hoards from a flight descend on it. Then you have to have the cab find an ATM for you. I just feel safer with euros in hand when I land.
Marita40 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2015, 09:41 AM   #74
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marita40 View Post
I'm in Europe now and it really is a bargain compared to the last time I was here!

As to getting euros ahead, I always get some as a safety precaution. Typical in Rome is that the airport ATM will run out of cash when hoards from a flight descend on it. Then you have to have the cab find an ATM for you. I just feel safer with euros in hand when I land.
Glad you are enjoying the discount!! Enjoy!!!! Salute!
Old 03-22-2015, 12:12 PM   #75
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Typical in Rome is that the airport ATM will run out of cash when hoards from a flight descend on it. Then you have to have the cab find an ATM for you.
Trust the Italians to add an interesting and unexpected problem to your trip. They certainly help make the memories.

Old 03-22-2015, 12:31 PM   #76

For an organized, orderly, and efficient person of Germanic heritage-- ie me-- Rome is both constantly challenging and enormously exhilarating. At the moment I'm in Vienna, a haven of calm after the chaos that is Rome. It is all good!
Marita40 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2015, 12:48 PM   #77
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
For an organized, orderly, and efficient person of Germanic heritage--
Ummmm..... Last thing I heard Lufthansa just had a 4 day strike.

Quote:
Lufthansa canceled 74 of a total 160 long-haul connections scheduled for Saturday, affecting about 20,000 passengers.
Maybe the Italians invaded Germany and finally won a battle

Old 03-22-2015, 01:44 PM   #78
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chuckanut View Post
Trust the Italians to add an interesting and unexpected problem to your trip. They certainly help make the memories.
I don't think Rome airport is the only place. I hear there are sometimes problems at other airports and at Amsterdam Centraal.
Old 03-22-2015, 03:54 PM   #79

Quote:
Originally Posted by audreyh1 View Post
I don't think Rome airport is the only place. I hear there are sometimes problems at other airports and at Amsterdam Centraal.
The ATMs at Amsterdam Central can get hammered pretty hard with the large amount of traffic and tourists getting in there. Especially on the national holiday.

All other stations and a short walk further on there are plenty of ATMs though.

If you have a debit & credit card (with decent fees) on you there is hardly any need for cash though in Amsterdam.
Totoro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2015, 05:13 PM   #80
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Totoro View Post
The ATMs at Amsterdam Central can get hammered pretty hard with the large amount of traffic and tourists getting in there. Especially on the national holiday.

All other stations and a short walk further on there are plenty of ATMs though.

If you have a debit & credit card (with decent fees) on you there is hardly any need for cash though in Amsterdam.
That's true. In fact Amsterdam pushes going "cashless". There are quite a few restaurants and shops that accept only credit. Chip and signature cards work fine and better than cash, LOL!

You might need cash for a B&B though. That's pretty standard. Few Amsterdam B&Bs take credit.