Portal Forums Links Register FAQ Community Calendar Log in

Join Early Retirement Today

Get Rich- Sell Gas? Nope, Guns
Old 09-03-2005, 05:44 PM   #1
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Get Rich- Sell Gas? Nope, Guns

ABC carried a story about a Baton Rouge gun store that has been selling 1000 guns a day since the city almost doubled in population after the hurricane.
Previous sales?? About 15 per day
JPatrick is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Re: Get Rich- Sell Gas? Nope, Guns
Old 09-03-2005, 05:46 PM   #2

Quote:
Originally Posted by JPatrick
ABC carried a story about a Baton Rouge gun store that has been selling 1000 guns a day since the city almost doubled in population after the hurricane.
I love this story. More guns and free enterprise too.

JG
MRGALT2U is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2005, 08:24 PM   #3
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Let's think about this for a second. A store goes from selling 15 guns/day to 1000/day. Does this make any sense from an retail point of view?

If the story was about cars or pizzas going from 15/day to 1000 wouldn't we say wait a minute.

First how does this store have the inventory to go from 15 to 1000/day? If you were a business person wouldn't your inventory be at a level to service your expected customers? The cost of carrying such a large selection (look at all the different types of guns out there) of guns to be able to sell 1000/day would mean that the inventory would need to be many times that. I doubt is gun distributors or gun manufactures carry such a large inventory to match this 1000/day distribution. This is an example of where we need to really question what the media tells us. I've worked around the news media and they do not check the facts or even question them sometimes.

If this one store has shown such an increase wouldn't others? Did those other stores have such a large inventory also?

Reality check please.

Old 09-03-2005, 09:29 PM   #4
Recycles dryer sheets

Quote:
Originally Posted by AltaRed
So typical... this country never seems to learn that guns are not the answer to anything.
http://www.maturin.org/wanyden/j_q2.html

Technology for $100 Alex.

Q: "During the 15th - 17th centuries these developed from the matchlock to the wheellock to the flintlock."
A: "What are guns?"
moghopper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2005, 10:09 PM   #5

Quote:
Reality check please.
There is a waiting period on hand gun sales. so unless these folks signed up BEFORE the storm, then this is a bogus story, I think

Old 09-04-2005, 05:34 AM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by maddythebeagle
There is a waiting period on hand gun sales. so unless these folks signed up BEFORE the storm, then this is a bogus story, I think

Wouldn't have to be handguns necessarily. I didn't read the story.
BTW, for the poster that questioned a gun shop carrying that much
inventory. It's possible. I've seen it. If someone just wants
protection in a hurry, they may not be too fussy.

JG
MRGALT2U is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2005, 06:48 AM   #7
Early-Retirement.org Founder
Developer of FIRECalc

Quote:
Originally Posted by JPatrick
Yeah, a reality check is in order.

Likely inventory was probably well under 1000, so he'd have to order another few thousand to make this work.* Who was overnighting inventory to stores during those early days? Nobody.* Even if he could get delivery, what wholesaler or manufacturer would extend hundreds of thousands of dollars in credit to a store that previously did only a little business with them?

And even if all that worked out -- the store likely had the staffing to sell what they had been previously selling. So they had to staff up to unload trucks, log the serial numbers in as they were unloaded, find a place to PUT the inventory, and all that. And then they have to sell them. Don't even think about the 1/2 mile line of people that were supposedly waiting at the cash register... It takes 5-10 minutes to sell a gun, what with the BATF forms, the required paperwork, the "instant check", etc. That means, at best, one employee could sell a little under 100 guns in an 8 hour day, without bathroom breaks.* So they hired 15 new employees, 5 to unload and stack, and 10 to process the sales?

I don't think so, Tim.

I suspect there was a little creative reporting here. The store undoubtedly sold a lot more than usual -- and perhaps told a reporter that they COULD sell 1000 a day, if they had them.

Twenty years from now you will be more disappointed by the things you didn't do than by the ones you did do. So throw off the bowlines. Sail away from the safe harbor. Catch the trade winds in your sails. Explore. Dream. Discover. Mark Twain
dory36 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2005, 07:28 AM   #8

Reality Check??
Local news also showed a Lafayette gun store that was so busy they had set* up roped off pathways with a hand written sign- - ENTER HERE TO BUY GUNS.
Baton Rouge dealers selling tear gas/mace/security systems like crazy.
This is the reality.
1000 guns in inventory?/ Easy.
JPatrick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2005, 11:59 AM   #9

This thread is temporarily locked while I try to split and merge the FIRE and Money portion from the Other Topics portion.
BigMoneyJim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2005, 12:15 PM   #10

Thread split and unlocked. Sent the gun debate portion of this thread to http://early-retirement.org/forums/i...p?topic=4136.0 in Other Topics. (Will be there in a minute or two after this post.)
BigMoneyJim is offline   Reply With Quote