Getting out of Russia?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Since we're off topic, I'll share that I spoke last night with an old friend who lives in Poland. He's not too far from Ukraine. A steady stream of Ukrainian refugees is flooding his area. This follows on the heels of a more diffuse refugee crisis of folks trying to enter Europe from Africa and the Middle East. It's been sort of a one-two punch.

My friend and his wife would probably be considered "lower middle class" by eastern European standards, but their inflation rate is much worse than ours with energy costs doubling and even tripling. Half his pension now goes to energy costs. It is fortunate that he owns his home.

His church has taken in 27 families from Ukraine (primarily a woman with one or two children.) Each family is using a room in the church building. There are two other families in which a man/wife and three children are being housed by church members in homes. Apparently, any family with 3 children is eligible to flee the country with both husband and wife. I was not aware of that.

So if I'm making a point it would be that Ukrainian people are suffering, Russian people are suffering and Polish people are suffering (as well as other Eastern European countries accepting refugees and experiencing outrageous energy cost inflation.) There is more than enough suffering to go around any place war breaks out. May it end soon!

I thought was very interesting and thought provoking. I have no idea if the guy (Yanis Varoufakis - a guy with decent credentials on politics and economics) is on the right track or not, but I hope he is. Please don’t be thrown by Russell Brand, he means well - just jump to 4:45 to hear the guest without Russell.

https://youtu.be/rD4QBQVNCCw

Last edited:
I'm not suggesting "pro Russian" by any means. You just keep highlighting the suffering of everyday Russians without acknowledging what's happening to everyday Ukrainians.

Every other post in this thread is covering the Ukrainian suffering in great details. The one person who talks about the other side of the coin shouldn't be required to 'both sides' the topic. IMHO, of course.

Every other post in this thread is covering the Ukrainian suffering in great details. The one person who talks about the other side of the coin shouldn't be required to 'both sides' the topic. IMHO, of course.
Fair point, thanks.

I work with a woman who told me the other day that she has family in the Crimea, family just south of Kyiv and her husband is currently stranded in Russia trying to figure out how to get back. This can't have gotten easier.

Putin has set in motion events that are going to cause at least tens-of-millions and likley hundreds-of-millions of people severe heartache. I hope it stops there.

Several posts were deleted that were unhelpful. This thread has been closed.

Thanks for the interesting discussion. :flowers:

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom