Portal Forums Links Register FAQ Community Calendar Log in

Join Early Retirement Today

Getting out on your terms helps
Old 08-28-2006, 07:16 AM   #1
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Getting out on your terms helps

Was surprised to see how badly the odds are stacked against you ...

Enjoy!

Quote:
A full 40% of the retirees polled by the Employee Benefit Research Institute in 2003 had to retire before they'd anticipated.

What usually ushers people out the door prematurely are health problems and layoffs. A full 41% of those polled by EBRI who said they retired earlier than planned did so because of illness or disability, said EBRI Chief Executive Dallas Salisbury. Another 34% cited changes at work, including downsizing and closures.
http://articles.moneycentral.msn.com...&wa=wsignin1.0
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Re: Getting out on your terms helps
Old 08-28-2006, 07:26 AM   #2
Full time employment: Posting here.

I understand the disability / health issue quite well. I don't understand the layoff issue. Changing jobs is simply the reality of today's market. Not fun, but we all have to deal with it ... for those of us still working.

Yes, I know it doesn't get easier as you get older ... I receive those AARP mailings too.
Craig is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2006, 07:41 AM   #3
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

17 of us were let go last Oct ... 3 were past retirement (64, 65 and 73) and are now in the "not happy group" even though the package bridged them for another year.

Truth be told, these people would NEVER have left and were detined to be in the unhappy group.
Old 08-28-2006, 08:10 AM   #4
Recycles dryer sheets

The company I left got pretty creative at making the few remaining (higher paid?) Americans feel unwelcome so they could replace us with illegals. This was a small company (husband and wife team) who had the company handed to them by the husbands father.

For example.....besides no pay increases for years............they created a new rule where if you took off any part of a day (lets say an hour for a dentist appt.) you were charged a full 8 hours of vacation time.

Of the 70 or so blue collar workers in the plant I think there are 2 Americans still hanging on.