Join Early Retirement Today

Gift Tax/Kiplinger Article
Old 12-04-2022, 06:55 AM   #1
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Thought I'd run this by our esteemed group here in case I'm missing something.

This month's Kiplinger's has an article on "Smooth Year End Money Moves", highlighting "Trim your tax bill".

It lists things such as being aware of surprise cap gains from MFs, identify your deductible expenses, contributing to a 529 etc but also says "Make Gifts".

I must be missing something--I often am. My take is that unless a couple has plans for over $24.12 million to give away, there is no direct tax savings by making gifts.

Yes, I'm aware of the intricacies of the $16K/$32K reporting issue and the chance the Congress might drop the $12MM/$24MM exclusion to $6MM, but unless one is in that range, how does making a gift now save anything on taxes today? Even with much lower levels at the state level, doesn't all of that only become an issue at estate time?

Or am I missing something?
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 12-04-2022, 07:13 AM   #2

Quote:
Originally Posted by marko View Post
also says "Make Gifts".
What does the article say about that?
Old 12-04-2022, 07:18 AM   #3
Give me a forum ...

Is it possible they meant charitable gifts or is that discussed separately? Heck, I get enough e-mail and snail mail from every place I've ever donated this time of year to remind me to "make gifts".
athena53 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2022, 07:29 AM   #4
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by braumeister View Post
What does the article say about that?
It just goes into the details of how much you can give away before needing to file a gift Tax return, what the exclusion is and how Congress might lower that exclusion, how State gift taxes are different, etc. It also lists the obvious, like charitable giving and covering a dependent's medical/college tuition costs.

"...in order for he the gift to count towards the 2022 exemption you must give away the money before December 31..."

Ok, but few are in the $24MM range for that to be a concern and States with lower exemptions have different rules anyway. Again, isn't all of that more of a concern at estate time?
Old 12-04-2022, 08:40 AM   #5
Recycles dryer sheets

We helped our kids buy houses over the past 2 years and had to file gift tax forms. Even with 6 figure gifts, there was no impact on taxes, positive or negative. As an aside, the gift tax form has to be one of the most complicated forms to file. Itís absolutely insane.
Old 12-04-2022, 08:45 AM   #6
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by TripleLindy View Post
We helped our kids buy houses over the past 2 years and had to file gift tax forms. Even with 6 figure gifts, there was no impact on taxes, positive or negative.
That has been my understanding. I'd expect those who would be impacted (over $24MM in giving) don't rely upon Kiplinger's for tax advice.
marko is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2022, 08:50 AM   #7
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by TripleLindy View Post
We helped our kids buy houses over the past 2 years and had to file gift tax forms. Even with 6 figure gifts, there was no impact on taxes, positive or negative. As an aside, the gift tax form has to be one of the most complicated forms to file. It’s absolutely insane.
+1 Did the same thing. Bought the DD a new house and paid for it in cash last year. Had to file the "stupid" paper work but it's was so intimidating/complicated that I took some liberties and made it simple and only filled out what I thought was relevant. So far, no questions have been asked.

IMO, form 709 was designed/intended for really rich folks and not us lowly multi-millionaires.
Old 12-04-2022, 09:27 AM   #8
Give me a forum ...

I don't see this trimming your income tax bill at all so perhaps it is just mischaracterized, but here is the clip that marko is referring to:
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Capture.JPG (87.5 KB, 34 views)

Retired Jan 2012 at age 56
pb4uski is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2022, 09:39 AM   #9
Give me a forum ...

Isn’t it just reminding people that if they have gifts to make to anyone, here is how much you can give this year without filing a gift tax return?

No, not tax saving this year, just paperwork and record keeping savings, and it might help save taxes in the long run because those annual gifts up to the exemption aren’t counted against your estate at all.
Old 12-04-2022, 10:33 AM   #10
Give me a forum ...

Location: Spending the Kids Inheritance and living in Chicago
If you live in a State that taxes inheritances of $1 Million , giving away some $$ now will/could save taxes for many folks, especially as their house probably counts in the estate valuation.

Only other way I can see it saving taxes is, If I give away $32K per year, then that money doesn't earn me interest/dividends the next year, of ~ $1,600 so taxes saved might be ~$352 at the 22% marginal tax rate for every gift.
Old 12-04-2022, 10:55 AM   #11
Give me a forum ...

^^^^ If you give away all your money then you would have no interest or dividend income and your tax bill would be much, much lower.

If there are forum members interested in this tax-saving tactic, PM me and I'll be happy to help.

Retired Jan 2012 at age 56
pb4uski is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2022, 11:23 AM   #12
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by audreyh1 View Post
Isnít it just reminding people that if they have gifts to make to anyone, here is how much you can give this year without filing a gift tax return?

No, not tax saving this year, just paperwork and record keeping savings, and it might help save taxes in the long run because those annual gifts up to the exemption arenít counted against your estate at all.
Agreed. But the article was about prepping for tax season, so I think it was a misplaced strategy
Old 12-04-2022, 11:51 AM   #13
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sunset View Post
If you live in a State that taxes inheritances of $1 Million , giving away some $$ now will/could save taxes for many folks, especially as their house probably counts in the estate valuation.
But that would be at one's death.

My grandfather was very, very wealthy, but "gift" was a four letter word to him.

The idea of giving his money away in order to save us taxes was a concept so out of his reasoning that it was never even considered a subject to broach.
"You'll get my money when I’m dead! Not a minute before!" was implied but never spoken.

It has been so ingrained in our family that that mentality has transferred down to me for better or worse.
Old 12-04-2022, 12:20 PM   #14
Give me a forum ...

^^^^^
That was my dads perspective too but the logic didn't transfer very well to me... I often wonder if my gifting has maybe been to big of a crutch for my DD.
Old 12-04-2022, 01:16 PM   #15
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by marko View Post
Agreed. But the article was about prepping for tax season, so I think it was a misplaced strategy
Perhaps, but I think it is typically included as a reminder in articles discussing end of year tax planning simply because there is a deadline.
Old 12-05-2022, 10:45 AM   #16
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Here in PA there is a inheritance tax on everything over about $3,000, so we are gifting some each year. If our estate continues to grow we may also be affected by the upcoming 2026 reversion of the estate tax law, though at the moment itís not an issue.
Dash man is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2022, 02:17 PM   #17
Dryer sheet aficionado

There is no gift tax in PA. There is an inheritance tax.
Piper20 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2022, 02:25 PM   #18
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Quote:
Originally Posted by Piper20 View Post
There is no gift tax in PA. There is an inheritance tax.

Thanks, I know that and have no idea why I typed ďgift.Ē
Dash man is online now   Reply With Quote