Join Early Retirement Today

Old 12-01-2021, 06:45 AM   #21
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Koolau, yes Giving Tuesday is more or less a reminder to give back. It really isn't advocating any specific group. I believe it started in 2012 and really has exploded to a nation reminder. Of course, some groups have added an incentive to give that day and in my thinking that is okay. Only so much dough, and so many that want to be part of that pot.

Thanks
street is online now   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 12-01-2021, 07:15 AM   #22
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Just a donation to a feral cat TNR group run by someone that has changed life for these cats in an entire city.
Another Reader is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2021, 07:36 AM   #23
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

I have a friend who works in fundraising/donor relations for a nonprofit, and he recently said that "Giving Tuesday" should be changed in the US to tax filing day (usually 4/15, for those not in the US), and I gotta say, his reasoning is sound.

His thinking was, basically, peoples' budgets are stretched around the holidays, but around tax time they may either be looking for deductions, or looking at a refund, either of which might help.
Old 12-01-2021, 07:52 AM   #24
Give me a forum ...

^ how true that is, and your friends idea is a great one.
Old 12-01-2021, 02:25 PM   #25
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by street View Post
Koolau, yes Giving Tuesday is more or less a reminder to give back. It really isn't advocating any specific group. I believe it started in 2012 and really has exploded to a nation reminder. Of course, some groups have added an incentive to give that day and in my thinking that is okay. Only so much dough, and so many that want to be part of that pot.

Thanks
So right, street! We are on at least 3 dozen mailing lists now. I kept warning DW that most of the charities she wanted to support would sell our info. I was right! It's not that these charities are not worthy, it's just that there isn't enough to go around - even though we make charity a priority. YMMV

Anything which can be used can be misused. Anything which can be misused will be.
Koolau is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2021, 04:07 PM   #26
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Koolau View Post
We are on at least 3 dozen mailing lists now. I kept warning DW that most of the charities she wanted to support would sell our info. I was right!
I've found that, too. I tend to give somewhat large donations ($200 and up) and never seemed to get too many mailings from "new" charities but I started getting a lot of mail from unfamiliar (but legitimate) groups after I ordered prayer cards for DH's funeral from a religious publishing company. (I'm also getting a steady supply of address labels.) When my brothers took over Dad's finances they found he was giving $50 here, $25 there to a ton of small charities. My elderly Aunt (80, going blind and spent down nearly to the Medicaid minimum before Uncle died in LTC) was getting calls from charities while I was visiting her.

I think the ones that go for small average donations tend to sell their lists but the ones who get donations of $500 or $1000 protect those names.
athena53 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2021, 01:47 PM   #27
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by athena53 View Post
I've found that, too. I tend to give somewhat large donations ($200 and up) and never seemed to get too many mailings from "new" charities but I started getting a lot of mail from unfamiliar (but legitimate) groups after I ordered prayer cards for DH's funeral from a religious publishing company. (I'm also getting a steady supply of address labels.) When my brothers took over Dad's finances they found he was giving $50 here, $25 there to a ton of small charities. My elderly Aunt (80, going blind and spent down nearly to the Medicaid minimum before Uncle died in LTC) was getting calls from charities while I was visiting her.

I think the ones that go for small average donations tend to sell their lists but the ones who get donations of $500 or $1000 protect those names.
I finally started writing to my mom's "charities" telling them she was deceased. It worked for some, but not all. I recall looking through her checking account as she slipped into Alz. There must have been a 2 inch stack of cancelled checks for the year. $5 here, $10 there. It added up and she was on SS only (about $1200/month at the time.)

The good news is that she came out "even" upon her death. She had enough to pay the last nursing home bill and left perhaps a couple of thousand in the checking account. IIRC I wrote her final check to her old church. She would have liked that. YMMV

Anything which can be used can be misused. Anything which can be misused will be.
Old 12-06-2021, 05:09 PM   #28
Give me a forum ...

If I was a charity, I would work my donors with additional mailings and contacts and I would protect the list. But as I concluded that some were dead leads, I would sell those names, regardless of my size.

Different subject and I have mentioned this before: https://www.guidestar.org/ has information on all but the smallest US nonprofits. By registering, you have access to download their tax returns. It is very interesting to see some of the expenses (like fund raising) and some of the executive and board salaries. If the managers are taking out too much money, they don’t get any of mine.

(I've been registered for years and have never gotten any spam mailings as a result.)
Old 12-06-2021, 05:58 PM   #29
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by OldShooter View Post
If I was a charity, I would work my donors with additional mailings and contacts and I would protect the list. But as I concluded that some were dead leads, I would sell those names, regardless of my size.

Different subject and I have mentioned this before: https://www.guidestar.org/ has information on all but the smallest US nonprofits. By registering, you have access to download their tax returns. It is very interesting to see some of the expenses (like fund raising) and some of the executive and board salaries. If the managers are taking out too much money, they don’t get any of mine.

(I've been registered for years and have never gotten any spam mailings as a result.)
Thanks for the site. It looks very complete - I was able to look up several charities, though I'm not registered. Not much info until registration apparently. Still, I can see its usefulness - especially to DW.

Old 12-07-2021, 10:23 AM   #30
Full time employment: Posting here.

I'll be giving to Habitat for Humanity. Even though they like to pray a lot, they let this atheist help build and gladly accept my money :-)
Old 12-07-2021, 10:48 AM   #31
Give me a forum ...

We have a local foundation that is 100% of donations go back to the health industry in our community in grants. No wages, building expense, utility expenses are used from charity giving to the foundation. It is very unique in that respect.
We just purchased an air-ambulance and everything that does with that service at just shy of 2 million.
I contribute to more localized charities then national. I do help Salvation Army because I have seen first-hand how they operate and is one that has an 87% of donations that go back to help our people.
Many great groups out there to give to but I do like to see what I'm buying when I donate and locally, I see the differences and impact it can have.
Old 12-07-2021, 10:54 AM   #32
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by street View Post
... I do like to see what I'm buying when I donate and locally, I see the differences and impact it can have.
+1

Here is a resource: https://www.cof.org/page/community-foundation-locator