Giving Tuesday Today

We are on at least 3 dozen mailing lists now. I kept warning DW that most of the charities she wanted to support would sell our info. I was right!

I've found that, too. I tend to give somewhat large donations ($200 and up) and never seemed to get too many mailings from "new" charities but I started getting a lot of mail from unfamiliar (but legitimate) groups after I ordered prayer cards for DH's funeral from a religious publishing company. (I'm also getting a steady supply of address labels.:D) When my brothers took over Dad's finances they found he was giving $50 here, $25 there to a ton of small charities. My elderly Aunt (80, going blind and spent down nearly to the Medicaid minimum before Uncle died in LTC) was getting calls from charities while I was visiting her.

I think the ones that go for small average donations tend to sell their lists but the ones who get donations of $500 or $1000 protect those names.

I've found that, too. I tend to give somewhat large donations ($200 and up) and never seemed to get too many mailings from "new" charities but I started getting a lot of mail from unfamiliar (but legitimate) groups after I ordered prayer cards for DH's funeral from a religious publishing company. (I'm also getting a steady supply of address labels.:D) When my brothers took over Dad's finances they found he was giving $50 here, $25 there to a ton of small charities. My elderly Aunt (80, going blind and spent down nearly to the Medicaid minimum before Uncle died in LTC) was getting calls from charities while I was visiting her.

I think the ones that go for small average donations tend to sell their lists but the ones who get donations of $500 or $1000 protect those names.

I finally started writing to my mom's "charities" telling them she was deceased. It worked for some, but not all. I recall looking through her checking account as she slipped into Alz. There must have been a 2 inch stack of cancelled checks for the year. $5 here, $10 there. It added up and she was on SS only (about $1200/month at the time.)

The good news is that she came out "even" upon her death. She had enough to pay the last nursing home bill and left perhaps a couple of thousand in the checking account. IIRC I wrote her final check to her old church. She would have liked that. YMMV

If I was a charity, I would work my donors with additional mailings and contacts and I would protect the list. But as I concluded that some were dead leads, I would sell those names, regardless of my size.

Different subject and I have mentioned this before: https://www.guidestar.org/ has information on all but the smallest US nonprofits. By registering, you have access to download their tax returns. It is very interesting to see some of the expenses (like fund raising) and some of the executive and board salaries. If the managers are taking out too much money, they don’t get any of mine.

(I've been registered for years and have never gotten any spam mailings as a result.)

If I was a charity, I would work my donors with additional mailings and contacts and I would protect the list. But as I concluded that some were dead leads, I would sell those names, regardless of my size.

Different subject and I have mentioned this before: https://www.guidestar.org/ has information on all but the smallest US nonprofits. By registering, you have access to download their tax returns. It is very interesting to see some of the expenses (like fund raising) and some of the executive and board salaries. If the managers are taking out too much money, they don’t get any of mine.

(I've been registered for years and have never gotten any spam mailings as a result.)

Thanks for the site. It looks very complete - I was able to look up several charities, though I'm not registered. Not much info until registration apparently. Still, I can see its usefulness - especially to DW.:angel:

I'll be giving to Habitat for Humanity. Even though they like to pray a lot, they let this atheist help build and gladly accept my money :)

We have a local foundation that is 100% of donations go back to the health industry in our community in grants. No wages, building expense, utility expenses are used from charity giving to the foundation. It is very unique in that respect.
We just purchased an air-ambulance and everything that does with that service at just shy of 2 million.
I contribute to more localized charities then national. I do help Salvation Army because I have seen first-hand how they operate and is one that has an 87% of donations that go back to help our people.
Many great groups out there to give to but I do like to see what I'm buying when I donate and locally, I see the differences and impact it can have.

Back
Top Bottom