Giving Tuesday Today

street

Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso) Give me a forum ...
Not sure how many give on this day. Giving Tuesday has only been in existence of less than 10 years.

We will write a check today for our community foundation we have been part for ~40 years.

Nice, street. I probably won't get my checks written today, but we have several organizations that we give to once a year in addition to the regular monthly donations (church, public radio and TV).

The annoying thing about Giving Tuesday is the number of e-mails I get from each of the organizations before, during, and after, reminding me to give. Sigh.

This seems like a trend to create "giving days" to guilt people into opening their wallets.

I tend to ignore them since our giving is usually tied to monthly calendar.

More annoying is being asked to round up at grocery stores.

I understand how bothersome it can be for people from groups asking for money no matter what month of the year. Giving Tuesday is no different!

For me it is a reminder and it does make me think how fortunate we are and I enjoy giving at this time. I also give in every month of the year to charity just not Today.

These foundations or non-profit orgs are all after the same dollars, and there is only so much to go around. Without charity, volunteering no matter what group or what time of year it is all important to each group and or people giving.

It is St. Andrews day today.

I take advantage of it because one of my charities doubles donations today. They do it at other times throughout the year, so today is just one of a few times I give to them each year. I wouldn’t change my giving just because there’s a day set aside for it.

I had never heard of Giving Tuesday. I tend to give more at the end of the year, but I do it on my own schedule.

The town I live in has a Giving Day earlier in the year, where my credit union does a match. So I donated then. And I finished my donation to the local Food Bank today. This is the first year I had heard of the November Giving Day.

I take advantage of it because one of my charities doubles donations today. They do it at other times throughout the year, so today is just one of a few times I give to them each year. I wouldn’t change my giving just because there’s a day set aside for it.

Yes, our charity also has sponsors that will match which doubles at day end. I's a great way for your contribution to have a larger impact.

We have been a sponsor a few years and was a joy to match those funds. It really doesn't matter of the day or timing I have truly enjoyed giving no matter when.

Not sure how many give on this day. Giving Tuesday has only been in existence of less than 10 years.

We will write a check today for our community foundation we have been part for ~40 years.

Thanks Street, my DIL's birthday is today and she has asked for gifts to go to her fav charity. Actually a good idea. Thanks for the reminder.

Last edited:
This seems like a trend to create "giving days" to guilt people into opening their wallets.

I tend to ignore them since our giving is usually tied to monthly calendar.

More annoying is being asked to round up at grocery stores.

I agree- I'm getting VERY tired of the e-mails. I have a monthly charity budget and I give (generously) throughout the year. I have about $400 left in the budget through EOY and will definitely spend that but not today. I don't want to be part of the horde.

What's really sad is that I have two new-to-me charities on my radar screen and I don't want to get on THEIR lists. May have to do it anonymously through my DAF.

I agree- I'm getting VERY tired of the e-mails. I have a monthly charity budget and I give (generously) throughout the year. I have about $400 left in the budget through EOY and will definitely spend that but not today. I don't want to be part of the horde.

What's really sad is that I have two new-to-me charities on my radar screen and I don't want to get on THEIR lists. May have to do it anonymously through my DAF.

Yes, I agree here are some of the things you can do to avoid the emails. I don't get any unwanted emails anymore and the two in bold are very effective from my experiences.
Mark as spam. ...
Delete spam emails. ...
Keep your email address private. ...
Use a third-party spam filter. ...
Change your email address. ...
Unsubscribe from email lists.

I guess giving Tuesday is earlier up north, as here in CO it is next Tues (12/7). I intentionally don't give on "Giving Tuesday", or when the charity claims that if I give now they will receive a matching gift, as both cases make me feel like a sucker for their marketing ploys.

Luckily, my Megacorp matches retirees charity giving and I have to admit I love to see Big Oil as a contributor on some of my environmental charity annual letters. :LOL:

The stars were in line today.
A week day, the end of the month, and a giving day!
I did my monthly payroll and those we can support (cancer, dogs, and military veterans) got their share again this month.

^ wonderful! Giving anytime to those groups is a win, no matter when it is.

So I’m talking to DW about this post and she wants to know if everyone will message me their mailing address.
Seems she has hundreds of Christmas cards that I’ve given her from charity mailings over the years.
PS I’m not mailing you a card and yes I do keep the dimes.

Second Harvest
Guide Dogs for the Blind
Salvation Army
Best Friends Animal Society

Robbie, great charities!

I will be ringing the bell next week for the kettle. I just got an email, asking when I can ring.

Never heard about Giving Tuesday until today.

I gave to St. Mary's Food Bank, and also to my grandniece college fund.

Never heard about Giving Tuesday until today.

I gave to St. Mary's Food Bank, and also to my grandniece college fund.

Yeah, that's a new one for me. I guess I missed it before. But honestly, DW and I were reviewing our charity list (as it happens, Tuesday) and realized we had met our pledges and extras that we had planned for 2021. We usually like to finish up by Dec. because we've had the occasional issue of a charity not depositing a check until the next year.

Thanks, street, for informing us about Giving Tuesday.

Koolau, yes Giving Tuesday is more or less a reminder to give back. It really isn't advocating any specific group. I believe it started in 2012 and really has exploded to a nation reminder. Of course, some groups have added an incentive to give that day and in my thinking that is okay. Only so much dough, and so many that want to be part of that pot.

Thanks

Just a donation to a feral cat TNR group run by someone that has changed life for these cats in an entire city.

I have a friend who works in fundraising/donor relations for a nonprofit, and he recently said that "Giving Tuesday" should be changed in the US to tax filing day (usually 4/15, for those not in the US), and I gotta say, his reasoning is sound.

His thinking was, basically, peoples' budgets are stretched around the holidays, but around tax time they may either be looking for deductions, or looking at a refund, either of which might help.

^ how true that is, and your friends idea is a great one.

Koolau, yes Giving Tuesday is more or less a reminder to give back. It really isn't advocating any specific group. I believe it started in 2012 and really has exploded to a nation reminder. Of course, some groups have added an incentive to give that day and in my thinking that is okay. Only so much dough, and so many that want to be part of that pot.

Thanks

So right, street! We are on at least 3 dozen mailing lists now. I kept warning DW that most of the charities she wanted to support would sell our info. I was right! It's not that these charities are not worthy, it's just that there isn't enough to go around - even though we make charity a priority. YMMV

Back
Top Bottom